Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shimmerandshine

will a built in bookcase look weird next to the window?

shimmerandshine
last month

I’m in the middle of renovations and I’m thinking to ask the contractors to give me a price for a bookcase. I was considering buying one but they’re like 1800+ and with my 8ft ceilings I’d rather have one go up to the ceiling. My question is, will it look weird next to the window?

Comments (9)

• jck910
    last month

Yes it will look weird judging from the small part of the room shown. Post a picture of the entire room for better help.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    last month

Change of plan. I think I’m going to do the ikea hack and put the bookcase on this wall. I’ll have space for 2.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    last month

I’m changing all of my furniture once the renovations are done. Someone here helped me with how to set up the furniture.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

The ammount of furniture you plan for the space is IMO too much and adding a cluttered wall unit is not a good idea.

• kandrewspa
    last month

Whatever you decide to do, I don't think the arched tops that are in your inspiration pictures are the right style for your home. Something straight with a simple molding. I agree with Patricia - that looks like too much furniture for the room. I would eliminate one of chairs at each end of the room so there are only a total of two. If you don't buy everything at once you can build it up gradually and see how it fits before committing yourself. It can be difficult or impossible to return furniture, so be cautious.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    last month

After moving my current furniture around, I realized you both were right, I’m wanting too much furniture. I updated a picture with what I’ll most likely be working with. I did some more searching and I found this bookcase. Any thoughts? The bookcase will go on the
    7’ 6 1/2 “ wall . The depth is 11 inches. There will be 44 inches walking space between the couch and bookcase. I wanted the bookcase on the wall right up to the barrier. (3rd pic) My friend is telling me since there will be space on the right side where the switch is, I need to leave the same amount of space on the left side(4th pic) is this true? I feel like the barrier breaks up the rooms and it doesn’t need to be centered. Any advice would be appreciated, as I’m getting this bookshelf built in.

• Pam
    last month

First off some money on a smart phone with a decent camera. I can’t imagine worse photos being taken by a 1800’s camera

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    last month

😂😂😂 I love this app. My youngest dropped my phone and messed up the camera lens.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    last month

I found a clear pic of the wall in my phone. Either there won’t be a back for the bookcase and I’ll add frames on the shelf to cover the vents, or I’ll have them cut out 2 rectangles.

Thoughts? Does the bookshelf need to be centered on that wall? Or can I have it built up until the barrier?

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals