Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta NOID 2023 ....................................

Now that we have alphabetized our hostas and put them into categories, we should be experts. I know for a fact that I am not. That i why I keep coming back here. Who do we not know who is out there right now on the ready to pip? Post them lets figure it out:

Ahh, no.

Post who we do not know:

I have one more post to enter and it will be a surprise.

June will not be back. I did the Hosta Finger Check, and she is gone.

This is that baby I showed you in the beginning. He/She will be flying in a week.

Comments (8)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month
    last modified: last month

Wow, I can’t believe I am first today at 1:15 CST!

Paula, I love the gorilla (NOT) picture…. Really fell for it as I was scrolling! The supermarket manager is very creative! Thanks for keeping track of the hawk for us. What an amazing transformation!

I have a couple of NOIDS:

Could this be venticosa? The flower is not quite as dark as the one in the HL, but does depth of color vary?
    7/10/23

here’s another look, in spring, 5/21/23

Then I have this one, no idea what it is, nice blue
    Both taken 5/20/23

another pic

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Old_dirt, I hope you share the owlets when they arrive!

Your green noid could be F. Hyacinthina. Does it have the glaucous underside?

Your gold certainly could be Gold Edger or possibly Lemontini…... ? Your last one, doesn’t look large enough to be Elegans, but it’s a beautiful blue. As you said maybe Hadsen Blue…..

I always try to take pictures of the flowers as that often helps with ID. FH is supposed to have a lavender flower. There’s only an unopened flower in the HL for GE. Not helpful.

here’s a picture of Lemontini in flower:

And not in flower

any thoughts?

I sure hope others join in….w need help!!

debra

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    last month

love the bananas sign..😂

debra and old_dirt..sorry..I don’t know your hostas..

debra..your blue has thick stems!..seems that it could be a giant..

old_dirt..one possibility for your gold one..the one in the center at the bottom of the photo was purchased as Gold Drop..does it look like yours?..I was thinking Hadspen Blue’s leaves are more round than your blue..but I could be wrong..I have no suggestion for your blue..

when I wander in my garden there’s quite a few where I don’t know the ID..I haven’t taken individual shots of them..

I don’t know the variegated one on the left in this picture..not a good picture..but sharing anyway..seems off for June?..I have tags for Paul’s Glory but haven’t nailed down where I planted them..maybe PG?..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last month

The gorilla double take and the eagle are great!

Debra there is some resemblance to ventricosa but the leaves don't seem large enough or shiny enough. The HL does show colour differences. Can you tell us the ages of both

old-dirt hope you see some owlets from that terrific mom. I wonder if your SM was sent to you fully reverted. Flowers would help with your gold. The blue does somewhat look like HB except for the vein pairs but that can be an unreliable measure. Whatever it is it is a nice one.

Ann it is hard to tell from that pic and you have a lot of June. If you are wondering it might not be June. Flowers would help and the age. PG is fast growing.

Clearly I have been no help at all!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    last month

Do you know that owls DO NOT make nests. They steal them.

This owl mistook a duck egg to be its own.

• old_dirt 6a
    last month

Debra - I will have to remember to check the underside of the leaves this year and to take more pics of flowers.

I kind of flipped a coin on that "Gold", Gold Drop or Gold Edger.

Paula - Yeah that nest was originally a hawks nest. Two years ago the Great Horned Owls took it over. Last year they weren't there and this year they're back.

I will try to post the babies if I can get a good picture.

Maybe the owl is just keeping its lunch warm.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    last month

Old_dirt, that could well be 'Hadspen Blue', this is mine from a few years ago. Pay attention to the flowers, they can be very helpful in identification.