Software
Houzz Logo Print
linjie_peng

Where to add storage spaces

2 years ago

Hi design experts,

I am looking for some suggestions for adding storage spaces in our basement with minimal changes.

tldr is we need a lot of storage space (preferably a room or a space you can just close the door and non visible) in our basement but the house we bought is not designed for that. One place I am thinking about is to add a closet in place 1, and maybe adding a drywall in place 2, dividing it into two rooms but it makes the exercise/recreation room much smaller, any other suggestions/ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (7)

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    How would anyone know? Store what? Need how much space for the things you want to show versus hide?

    Nobody can answer.

    Basement storage is the land of forgotten forever, unless seasonal decor. Consider yourself warned.

    Know that this site, has no psychics . No mind readers, either.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    More info need ans what is that space at the bottom of the stairs it says nook for what? Wht exactly is in the storage room you show and where are those things. I am a storage maniac becuse i like to know where everything is and so organized storage is a must but we need info Post here in comment sDO NOT start another post. Waht is in the large space you show do you have TV there so much needed to get help.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Will caution you that you will need to provide direct egress if you have a bedroom in the basement. The window must be sized to meet International Residential code requirements.

  • 2 years ago

    I'm with the others - unless we know what you need to store, we can't help you. Some things I need space for: winter storage for patio furniture; Christmas decorations; suitcases; tubs of kids' toys (grandkids are in our future); sports equipment (golf clubs, ski boots); camping gear (including down sleeping bags hanging, not stuffed); power tools and hand tools, and a place to use them.


    I'm looking at the den - 16' x 16' is a big room. Instead of a little closet at the bottom, I'd add storage to the left wall. Whether that's closets, cabinets, or shelves depends on what is being stored, and what you use the room for.

  • 2 years ago

    I don't know why you couldn't put a wall up to create space #2, but I don't know what you need to store or how much room you need to have left in the Recreation/Exercise space area. When creating #2, you could make it standard closet space depth and have almost 16 feet of reach-in closet space. Install several double doors so you can easily access all the space. Or make it 6-8' deep and then you would have something similar to a walk-in closet. Then you could have 12-24" deep shelves on both sides. Allow 30-36" for a walkway. Is there any ductwork in the ceiling that would make a particular size more logical (you could hide ductwork in the closet)?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Not sure how wide it is going to the bedroom or what you are use that sitting area for ( it seems odd ) . I would run a set of 24-30" deep closets fromt he bedroom all the way down into the recreation room. Then do another closet outside the utility ( move the door into the utility room).

    I find that storage ina basement seems to be best when it is reach in closets as opposed to a walk where you are wasting floor space.


    good luck!

  • 2 years ago

    Hi thanks everyone for the comments. I should’ve been more specific: we want to make the bedroom/den as our guest bedroom so we couldn’t make the whole room a storage room.The exercise room we want to make a gym + family room if i divide like my picture number 2, it will be small to do both, however making the sitting area as a storage room is weird too.

    The storage room we need to store: 8 suitcase (3 small, 5 large), several heavy duty totes (10), some other boxes, some camping stuff, and a few other seasonal things: wall arts, some decorations, Christmas tree, some small appliances like humidifiers, air purifiers etc