Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_shears12

Help with entrance “hallway”, please!

JM Shears
last month

My entrance “hallway” is a little over 5’ wide and 16’ long. 10’ high ceilings. What should I do with/along the long wall? Thanks for any inspiration!

Comments (17)

• Kelly Cincotta
    last month

I totally agree with Kendra, adding the art work and different rugs will make a big difference.

• JM Shears
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you! That’s very helpful. I love the black and white photo idea.

The light is bright because there’s only one fixture in that stretch. There’s another one in the other part of the room, but both of them together don’t give enough light unless the bulbs are very bright. I’d love to add more as per your suggestion but I don’t think it’s in the cards unfortunately.

The carpets are very thin/low profile and have a great grip so trips and slips don’t happen as we’re running in and out with arms full, or with snow on our boots. That’s why I have the one long piece for the full 16 foot stretch. Perhaps I can find more interesting ones that are also practical.

Thank you so much for the great inspiration!

• Kelly Cincotta
    last month

as a mother of 4, I realize it is diffult to have both practical and beautiful, but if your family is willing I bet you can come up with some fantastic art pieces. Even create some beautiful home painted area rugs. Enjoy the moments!

• JM Shears
    Original Author
    last month

Yes that could be amazing. Thank you! :)

• kandrewspa
    last month

Is that the thermostat for your furnace/A/C in the middle of the wall? If so, you need to move it and hardwire it. It should be on an interior wall in any case.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last month

At 5'-0" wide your hallway IMO won't accommodate any furniture, tables, key drops, etc. So. you suggest you concentrate on surface treatments. I LOVE Kendra's "stunning hallway" although the hallway she is picturing may be a bit wider than your hallway. As she says in a subsequent post "practical and beautiful" don't always go hand in hand but you should be able to make your hallway "stunning" in it's own way. Good luck!

• JM Shears
    Original Author
    last month

No, the electronic item on the wall is our security alarm system.

Thank you! Yes I agree about the width. It’s closer to 5’6”, but the point still remains. I wonder if a different paint colour or wallpaper would work?

• latifolia
    last month

With the new LED fixtures, adding lights may be easier than you think. We had an electrician add a can in our kitchen and it was not a problem. It's on the same circuit and switch as an existing can; switch was changed to dimmer.

• Maureen
    last month
    last modified: last month

Is it a side entrance?

Etsy rubber back runner and comes in lots of lengths.

• Kendrah
    last month

I'm usually a fan of gray but this hallway is getting a bit institutional looking. You could paint or paper, or just make some accent adjustments to bring more texture and color.

This water hog mat has a jute rug vibe to it. Grip backing and absorb rain and snow incredibly well. I love mine. Get a one to replace the black mat by the coat area, and 2 3x7.5' runners with a small space in between the two to break up the bowling alley feel of your current 16 footer. Lots of places sell water hog. This one is LL Bean. Runners come in many different lengths as to their area mats.

Replace the grey baskets on the cubby shelves with baskets that have color or texture - either a natural jute look or something that compliments a new rug.

If you don't want to mess with adding electric, then just replace the lights you have with ones that are more decorative and have a different finish. The silver disappears into the grey walls. Pic something with a brass finish or black finish. A fun or interesting shape that give off a lot of light. I don't know your style well enough to make useful suggestions.

• blubird
    last month

Is this a rental or do you own it?

• JM Shears
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you! I will definitely look into all those suggestions.

We own it.

• PRO
    Annette Jaffe Interiors
    last month

Maybe try a shoe holder for all the shoes? Then try some artwork on the walls and a runner with a little more interest.

Grand Colonial · More Info

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month

I'd change out the runner to one with horizontal stripes. The way you have it now is making a long, narrow hallway look longer and narrower. The horizontal stripes will widen it visually.

Blenheim Residence · More Info

Danalda Residence · More Info

• JM Shears
    Original Author
    last month

Love it! Thanks!

• nelliebean
    last month

I think a large mural or wall decals (stickers) would look good on the long wall.