Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kurinji_pandiyan

Advice needed - cramped laundry /pantry combo

Jiji P
24 days ago

Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate your guidance. We built a pantry / laundry combo without planning properly. We have the cabinets in for the pantry on one side, a side by side washer and dryer on the other side with a sink. The W/D is not yet installed but now it feels way too cramped (back hits against the pantry when bending to load the washer or dryer) so we are having second thoughts.

Details: W/D is LG - 30 1/4 depth before connections

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-4-5-cu-ft-high-efficiency-stackable-smart-front-load-washer-with-steam-and-built-in-intelligence-white/6419621.p?skuId=6419621

Pictures of pantry design and dimensions attached

The options we are considering are -

1. move current unit to the back wall
    —- downsides: will still be cramped toward sink when loading, maybe too high to use dials of the washer, will need to re-work the vent and electrical and will be expensive

2. get a tower unit that is ventless and less deep (26 inches) - https://www.shopwesco.com/laundry/stack-laundry/combination-washer-electric-dryer/wkhc152hwa/

—- downsides and questions - will 4 inches make a huge difference? This product doesn’t have reviews and is new… is it any good? Is the loss of capacity worth it for a busy family?

1. install the current configuration and live with it; return later if it just doesn’t work

I would be grateful for your thoughts and advice or any other creative ideas you have / other products to consider.

Thank you so much!

Comments (14)

• Lyn Nielson
    24 days ago

I would stack at the end of the room and leave open the area in front of it.

no to downsize... the bigger the better in laundry.

Patches and electrical changes now, rather than later.

• millworkman
    24 days ago

Us the room for one or the other and find another place for the other.

• Jiji P
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Lynn - you think it’s better to be a bit cramped against the sink (I.e., back up against that) versus the pantry?

• Jiji P
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Millworkman - not sure we have another location unfortunately. We didn’t plan for it elsewhere

• jackowskib
    24 days ago

Can you switch to stackables and place where dryer is? Then move that end pantry over to where washer was. Keep wall clear in front of stackables.

• Jiji P
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Interesting idea. The current unit can be stacked with a stacking kit. Would the dial be too high for the washer on top?

• Karenseb
    24 days ago

I'd go with Jackowiskib"s idea and stack at the end with nothing across from it.

The washer is on the bottom and the dryer on top as are the dials for the dryer.

My daughter is 5 foot 2 inches and and had a stacked w/d. It worked okay for her, but when it broke, she bought the Lg wash tower which works much better for short people.

• Jiji P
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Thanks so much, Karen. Was the LG wash tower much smaller capacity than the stacked?

• Jiji P
    Original Author
    24 days ago

We could still return this so evaluating all options. Agreed that Jackowisib’s idea may work best - we are confirming that the cabinets can be moved without damage.

Many thanks, all! Really appreciate the timely support from this community

• Karenseb
    24 days ago

Same capacity! (maybe bigger than her old ones). I see that the washing machine is 5 cu ft and the dryer 7.4 cu ft.

She really likes it.

• bpath
    23 days ago

What is on the other side of the pantry wall?

• Jiji P
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Kitchen - door toward the right enters into the laundry and pantry area

• luna123456
    23 days ago

Stack in the back right corner.

Honestly it would have been better, space wise, to put them across the back of the room. Architect probably wanted to hide the appliances from view, but this makes them hard to access.

Seriously consider putting in a stack, washer tower, something. If it were me i would put in compact units, but thats a personal choice.

• jackowskib
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

Just a consideration - not sure where you fold clothes and/or hang them, but that lower cabinet could have a hanging rod above, and folded clothes on top of that cabinet. Empty space across from stackable W/D could be for laundry basket(s).