Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artinnature

We wants it! (But will it rule them all?)

artinnature
20 days ago
last modified: 20 days ago

But we have no space left to plant it...and we can'ts afford it.

I guess the plant tags are not readable in this image.

This is Acer x psuedosieboldianum First Flame ('IsFirFl')

Comments (10)

• KW PNW Z8
    20 days ago

“Only” 20 x15’ at maturity. It’s the growth rate of 12” - 15” a year that makes me think that mature rate is a suggestion rather than expectation. Sounds like a beautiful spring color tree but doesn’t say anything about fall color. And it turns green in summer - that would be a let down. I’m trying to make you feel better about not having room for it!

• maackia
    20 days ago

Mmmm, you have no space and can’t afford it. That is a garden dilema. Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place. Where do you garden? Are there other Acer options that might be a better fit? Is there anything that can be culled? BTW, I’ve got one of the palmatum x pseudosieboldianum hybrids that is very nice.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    20 days ago

Klark, you gotta stop visiting nurseries on a daily basis!! I know you live in the nursery capital of the US but take a break!! 😣 Besides, you don't need a maple that is extra cold tolerant anyway.....save it for those like maackia that live in frigid winter climes.

btw, like most Asian maples, this will never become a big tree. At most, it will top out around the same size as a species Acer palmatum. And like all other Asian species, can develop stunning fall color.

• artinnature
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thanks for talking me down. But seriously, is there a palmatum or japonicum that can rival this for spring color? Hey, maybe I'll have one delivered to my mom in Minnesota!

• pennlake
    20 days ago

The Iseli hybrids are fairly common in MN IGCs.

• SeniorBalloon
    20 days ago

If you're buying I have room for one. ;0)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    20 days ago

Klark, lots of palmatums will have gorgeous spring color. In fact, I find most JM's show off their best coloration of the year with their new spring foliage. Katsura is one of my favorites and most of the reticulated forms are stunning in spring (the Ghost series, Peaches and Cream, etc.).

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    20 days ago

I think there is a support group that helps you with continuous buying syndrome.

Unfortunately, you're at the wrong site. ;-)

I have a seedling species Acer pseudosieboldianum in fact two, but only one has the red new growth feature. The other comes lime green with red leaf margins. Much diversity with this species.

This was in August (2022), second flush of first year planted. So lower down the leaves have turned green already.

• artinnature
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Pam, yes I look at a lot of YouTube Videos from Mr Maple and they've showcased many cultivars they claim have incredible spring color. I know they exist, I have just never seen any Acer with spring color like this - and I have to see it in person, videos never compare to the real thing. I think you put Katsura in the Case/Warren garden and it was always lovely but never remotely as good as this. One video mentions a newer cultivar, they say: "This is what Katsura wishes it was".

As you know, I visit garden centers on a daily basis (wink), and this spring I've been on a quest to see some of these amazing spring foliage colors (compared to fall color, the spring color is fleeting!). Portland Nursery, Dennis' 7 Dees, Tony's Garden Center, and many others, so far nothing but a sea of green and subdued red foliage. Also scan the wholesale fields while driving, nothing but the same old thing.

Who the heck is buying all of these BuchhoIz (Now owned by MrMaple) and Iseli maples anyway? Perhaps they all end up back east. I noticed this when I was looking for Quercus phellos: thousands are grown at wholesale nurseries just down the road, but nobody sells them in this state. I found First Flame at Garland in Corvallis, and it was the only stunning selection in the entire garden center...nothing else came close.

If anyone encounters exceptional spring Acer foliage color, post photos here...I know they're out there, somewhere!