Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasonpearson87

Mismatching marble & mismatching colors - Can I make it work?

Jason Pearson
20 days ago

Hey there so I've recently installed a TV unit, sideboard and console table and put marble tops on each of them. The problem here is twofold:

• After installing them do you think there is too much marble (since the floor is also marble?) and make the apartment look too cold?
  • The marble for the tops is a bit yellow-ish white (still white but a different shade), so it doesn't match too well with the floor

Do you think either of these are valid concerns or can I make it work and make the space feel warmer with soft furnishings like perhaps a jute rug and some planters?

For the mismatching colors, I recently got some chairs and a sofa and I was hoping the grays would match more than they do but in a lighter environment one looks more greyish blue, the other looks more like a neutral grey. Same question as before, can I make this work by perhaps taking attention away from the sofa with throw blankets, pillows, etc?

Images attached, please mind the plastic coverings and mess.

Comments (17)

• auntthelma
    20 days ago

Do you hve the option of returning the small chair? Is it a dining chair? Will the difference be less noticable when the chair is not right next to the couch?

Jason Pearson thanked auntthelma
  • HU-910663146
    20 days ago

Put runners across the tops along with knick-knacks and plants, and the mismatch will not be as noticeable.

If you are going to use different materials, you need to select materials that are different enough that they compliment each other. You picked fabrics and countertops that are too close in color and design./

• Jason Pearson
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Unfortunately no option to return the chair. It's a dining chair.

And yes, the difference is slightly less noticeable when the chair is not right next to the couch.

• la_la Girl
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

I would wait and not make any major decisions till the construction etc is done - you will be adding rugs yes?

• marmiegard_z7b
    20 days ago

I don’t like the marble tops, even if matched. Not sure what you were thinking there. Yes, it’s colder, more like a bath or kitchen, when with marble floors you need the warmth of different materials. All wood is better, and not even all matched. you could always accessorize with lighter- toned items.

• Jason Pearson
    Original Author
    20 days ago

@la _la Girl yes I will definitely be adding rugs

• auntthelma
    20 days ago

Once the TV is installed and the decorations go on the hall table, the marble difference won’t show. Right niw, the room is stark and unfinished. I think it will look lovely once you decorate and arrange.

• Valinta
    20 days ago

Before spending on anything else or adding any items to the room try various lighting intensities - warm to cool. After that, One of the chairs needs to be repurposed to another room. Select upholstery fabric in a print or weave with complimentary colors to you mismatched marble pieces to make the mismatch seem more intentional. Covering up with runners, knick knacks, etc. looks like, well, covering up. Lrger intentional pieces of pottery, baskets (softer) and floral arrangements will help.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    20 days ago

Faux marble tops do not work. Sorry

Correct the other with rugs and pillows, knowing that there are plentiful options in color, and they are not ALLLLLLLL gray.

• Jason Pearson
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Those are not faux marble tops, they're actually marble.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    20 days ago

Two DIFFERENT marbles is no different than two different granite. Same "miss" and you knew or had an idea it was that, or you'd not have asked.

The room has enough hard/cool surface without the add of the tops. Better? A solid and darker if you want drama. Better yet? Wood, even with a protective glass if that is your worry.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    20 days ago

I have no clue as to why you chose those finishes with that floor but now it is done. Get all your furniture into the space where you want all the pieces then take pics post here in comments and you will get help with dealing with what you have , right now there is no way to help.I think once rugs are added this will become less of an issue but please make sure the rugs are more texture than print . Some large pieces of art are a must too IMO POst the new pics here just you did in comments DO NOT start another post.

• aliciaflorrick
    20 days ago

Honestly, you have so many hard shiny surfaces that I think something needs to be changed out. I would sell the wood furniture that has the mismatched marble tops and look for solid wood pieces. I would also sell the glass dining table and replace with solid wood table. The upholstered pieces may work with spacing between then if you can find accessory pieces including rugs that blend the 2 greys. Even if you are going for a modern aesthetic, you need to add warmth and texture to this space.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    20 days ago

Right now the space just looks unfinished - so nothing is blended or accented. You already have these items so I will assume that there are no returns on any of it.

The dining chairs and sofa are fine IMO - I wouldn't want them matching anyway. Add a blue rug under the table and those chairs will change color.

You need some color and some stuff - pillows, throws, natural materials ( in placemats or runners for the marble tops ) , plants, artwork ( good size, great color ).

Tackling these things a little at a time. They way you don't overdo it.

Make sure to save your receipts in case you need to return items.

Always shop with you material and paint samples as well as dimensions of areas for art or rugs etc.

I like to find apiece of artwork or favorite photograph and use that for a color inspiration.

Good luck! It will be fine

• Boxerpal
    20 days ago

You are creating a beautiful space and you stopped into Houzz because you know the marble mix is off. How important is it to you? Can you live with it? For me, I might live with it for a while, cover the marble with lights and Nick knacks and maybe the mismatch would fade in my mind. But, and i think you know, it is probably bothering you. Could you eventually recover those tables with walnut? Something warm and wonderful in your glorious space?

Look how the walnut just merges with the marble. It is a true match

Avon Hill Cambridge · More Info

• ffpalms
    20 days ago

You’re judging your choices too soon. I love the soft colors. Here’s a little mash up with the addition of a rug.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!