Software
Houzz Logo Print
chandraclewley

Need Help Matching a Rug

2 years ago

I have an open floor plan between dining room and living room. Dining room is in front of living room in the house and they are separated by one step down.

Dining room has wood floors while the living room has very vintage looking Saltillo tiles.

The living room has a large antique rug made in the very early 1900’s that I do not want to part with but every rug I look at for the dining room clashes with it.

The dining room has a wood table that can lean slightly red in certain light and I want to neutralize that but still look cohesive since it flows to the living room.

Comments (24)

  • 2 years ago

    How about a solid blue rug that picks up the same blue in your other rug? Something like this? And then add some of that blue along with a little gold and or burgundy as accents to the room on your table and walls. I think that would complement the rug in the other room and pull it all together.

  • 2 years ago

    Don't know why this link is ridiculously long, but here's the rug:

    https://www.wayfair.com/Ebern-Designs--Franchester-Navy-Blue-Area-Rug-XEMO4938-L167-K~WDLN3827.html?refid=GX685048453596-WDLN3827_29178959&device=m&ptid=352885195383&network=g&targetid=pla-352885195383&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=203695756&fdid=1817&PiID[]=29178959&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw8diwBhAbEiwA7i_sJRECEb56apmDjsMx_9H-VY8QFjs3ugUp8IC9M2NJ39GHJVmPI7i8KhoC82AQAvD_BwE

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Beautiful rug and dining set. I would consider a similar style updated a bit in creams and possibly some blue. I will look around.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Here is quick idea board. An off white, geometric patterned rug that would reference the fabric on your offwhite chairs then add large art on your dining room long wall that walks the line between traditional and modern look. Art is very personal so just ideas. What size rug do you want. Might need 8 x 10 or longer since table looks longer than average?

  • 2 years ago

    Yes, definitely 8x10 or 8x11…
    I want to tone down the reddish quality of the dining table as much as possible. I was thinking of similar colors (beige, gold, camel, tan) as a base.
    Does it need to be the same “style”?
    I’m not sure what the style of my current rug would be called but it was made in British Colonial India - so early 1900’s.
    When I search I see a lot of Moroccan and Persian rugs but I don’t know if that is what I have 😬
    I did buy a Moroccan rug that I liked but when I came it was way too cool, mostly grey and cool whites and that really clashes with the rest of the room/s
    I do want it modernized but after buying one bad rug, I’m leery on what to do next…

  • 2 years ago

    I don’t know if you are located somewhere where there are bricks and mortar rug dealers, but they will often let you take home rugs to try out.
    I think it would also be helpful to get better pictures of the living room and see how it relates to the dining room

  • 2 years ago

    If you’re lucky, some talented photoshopper may pop by and work their magic and give you some ideas

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    In looking at similar rugs, Turkish rugs come up often. To help narrow search, what price do you want to stay below? Take more pictures from as far back as you can to give us perspective on the whole space. What is width and length and ceiling height in dining space. Thanks.

  • 2 years ago

    Flo- I would like to stay below $400
    The rug I have now is called Persian Kerman and has blues and reds, but I want something mellower and more neutral (golds maybe, beige like the base of the rug I have now) for the dining room.
    The living room rug is floral motif, so I am guessing I have to stay in that realm.

    The largest I can go in the dining room is 8x11 because of a walkway that needs to stay clear.

    I will take a photo of the entire space and post it here a little later today.

  • 2 years ago

    Here are more photos of the rug before it was in the room.

  • 2 years ago

    I love this rug, but it is three times more than you want to spend. Maybe a less expensive version can be found.




  • 2 years ago

    This one from boutiquerugs.com is 100 wool and only $439 for an 8 x 10.




  • 2 years ago

    The first one posted by @Beverly does not seem to complete, but compliment the other rug.

  • 2 years ago

    Attached room for ideas.

    I’m wondering if it needs to be darker than cream?

  • 2 years ago

    Here are two I liked for Rugs Direct, but neither of them come in 8x10!! 😭

  • 2 years ago

    And lastly here is the view from the table into the living room. Pay no attention to the rug I bought that does NOT WORK- I am selling it asap.
    I edited it out of one of the photos but the floor looks weird now 😂

  • 2 years ago

    The first one looks pretty nice. It may work.
    Tip when buying area rugs, buy the smallest size to checkout color and thickness, much easier return if it doesn’t work out.

  • 2 years ago

    They may come in a 8x10 on another site.

  • 2 years ago

    Not an heirloom, antique rug, per se - but I think could possibly complement what you have, without competing. Plus, washable.


    https://www.houzz.com/products/hauteloom-washable-persian-medallion-runner-rug-blue-red-beige-2-7x7-10-prvw-vr~182080360













  • 2 years ago

    I agree with the suggestion to go to a "Persian" rug dealer with your question. I visited one when I had our rug cleaned. Although I wasn't in the market, he showed me rugs piled on tables after tables that were every size and color one could imagine. I would guess that his shop had at least a thousand different rugs.

  • 2 years ago

    I like beverly’s suggestion to go with a natural fiber, easier to get big rug under $400 I think - you can always switch it out if down the road you find something amazing


    so many rugs are really ”grayed” out these days - makes it harder to match a vibrant rug like yours (which i love btw)

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I actually do not like rugs under dining tables the chair a re hrd to move and food spills ahard to deal with. IMO get art on the walls some drapes to soften the mood a nice center piece and let the other rug be the star . My thought if you insist on a rug a simple navy blue carpet cut to the size you need and finished edges .

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I’d go with a natural fibre and connect the rooms with art. It’s just as important to consider the feel the dining room as well.