Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachcatt

1 BIG area rug or 2 LITTLE ones?

beachcatt
10 years ago
I just bought this new house. I'm not sure how to arrange the living room and ended up with 2 seating areas and you can walk between them to the kitchen. SO....there is a really nice, but expensive area rug that I could use wall to wall and keep BOTH sitting areas on that area rug OR I can buy 2 smaller area rugs for each sitting area separately. I bought 2 mock-up area rugs in 5X8 to see what 2 rugs look like but I'm not sure it looks right. (these rugs are just for an experiment, not the ones I am going to buy) HELP!

Comments (26)

• decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Looks like a juke box in the background so I expect this to be a very sociable area. However, your seating arrangement is not condusive to socializing or conversing. We're seeing two walls of your space here. If we could see all four, we could help you make this warm, inviting and a nice spot to entertain. Post more pix by commenting here and using the Attach Images button.
    beachcatt thanked decoenthusiaste
  • beachcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have to show more picts I guess. This really is a problem room. There is a doorway past those chairs on the right. I wish I could do a horseshoe shaped area but it will block the "flow". I'll send more picts and thank you so much for your comments.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You want to keep the room from look like/feeling like a waiting room at the clinic which sometimes happens with the couches like they are now.

So you do not feel you could keep the couch with the back to that window area and slide it out enough to put a couch in an L with it? Then see where the chairs would work best?

OR put the couches each on a wall, facing each other, so one would be where the chairs are now and then we can figure out the chairs.
    beachcatt thanked abbyjean
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    How about taking the sofa whose back is to the sliders and putting it on the wall so your two sofas make an "L?"Then pull the chairs in so their backs are to the sliders - the flow will pass between this "U" and the wall where the chairs are now.
  • beachcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am attaching more picts which show that there are 2 pillars in the way (which I hate) so I tried to "hide" one with a couch. I wanted an L-shape with the couches but that will push one couch out into the walk space. For whatever reason the builders put these pillars around the perimeter of the dining area and they are hard to work around. There is a doorway near the jukebox so I can't really block that space with the chairs and..........*sigh*
  • beachcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love all of your ideas and they are great but I am dealing with that dining area with the pillars. I don't know why they would do that. It looks to me like there should be an altar or a stage in there. It's so weird. I told my husband when he left for golf that I was going to take a sledgehammer to those pillars while he was gone. He's still not back......hmmmmmm!
  • Sharon Cameron
    10 years ago
    He he he, I'm picturing Hubby's face as he walks thru the door and sees you with a sledgehammer in hand....
    beachcatt thanked Sharon Cameron
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Your furniture arrangement needs help. Try moving one sofa to the wall where the chairs are and the other straight across from it. Now put the chairs facing each other in between the sofas. Don't push the sofas back to the walls but leave some space...How's that?
    beachcatt thanked leelee
  • Donna Marrow
    10 years ago
    Zsks
    beachcatt thanked Donna Marrow
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Don't like the two rugs. You should have one rug that pulls the room together. It's not really a big enough room to divide into different sitting areas. One conversation group is all you need.
    beachcatt thanked leelee
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Can you try moving the furniture as suggested above and show a picture?
    beachcatt thanked leelee
  • beachcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK LeeLee, I am going to go move furniture now and see what it looks like. I think it needs one area rug also but I made the mistake of asking my husband. He's the genius with the 2-rug idea.hahahaha
  • beachcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the dream look I am trying to get to..........
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    In your dream room, the sofa is blocking the view to the patio. If that sofa and the chairs exchanged places the space and the view would open up and yours would too. You'll have to ignore the pillar - don't let it define your walkway because it looks to be in the center of the space - you sill have room for your dream arrangement if you "L" the sofas and move the chairs. You may have room for a slender console or floating shelf under the art where the chairs are now. Either way, the piece needs to be lower.
  • beachcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok. I moved the furniture and now I can breathe! It looks so much better. I had already moved it around 20 times but I just didn't "see" this arrangement. Thank you all so much! I think I may paint the pillar with chalkboard paint and let people graffiti it. At least I'll get some fun out of it! I am much appreciative to all!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Graffiti sounds like the best idea yet.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    It looks like a different room! I hope you enjoyed Happy Hour in there tonight! Good job!!! No more Waiting Room effect!!!
  • beachcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you both! Wondering, are you both decorators? BTW, that "dot" on my wall......my husband said he wanted a sailfish on the wall (we live in Florida near ocean) so I bought a sailfish ornament and put it there while he was golfing. He never knows what he will find when he gets home. We are in our sixties and have been updating houses for 32 years. I did sledgehammer a kitchen wall when he was gone one time! Again, thank you so much!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    That sailfish is toooooo cute and you paint such a pic in my mind with that sledgehammer!
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Yea! It worked. Now hurry down to the store and get a couple of pictures for over the sofas before hubby gets back from his fishing expedition.

No, I'm not an interior designer, just enjoy helping.

You must be an ex-hippie with the peace sign hanging in the dining area.
    beachcatt thanked leelee
  • PRO
    CHRISICOS INTERIORS
    10 years ago
    Hello! The two sitting areas look like one and probably often function as one therefore consider one larger area rug that pulls both of these "sitting spaces" together. The two smaller area rugs aren't working in this situation. Best of luck!
    beachcatt thanked CHRISICOS INTERIORS
  • beachcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, LeeLee, thank you so much! I did what you said and it is so much better. EX-hippie? I think hippie is forever! Hello Chrisicos Interiors. Once we tried our experiment with the 2 rugs it hit me that what it really looked like was that we couldn't afford the one big one. LOL! We did want a reading area which is why we did the 2-chair thing. It just didn't work out. I do appreciate you taking your time to answer. Thanks to all.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Far out...me too.
    beachcatt thanked leelee
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    I didn't get a chance to read all the suggestions but I would like to add one more. Sorry if someone already suggested it. I would center the sofas between the side walls thus leaving room on both sides of the sofas. Leave one side for a walkway. Spread the sofas far enough so you can put the chairs along the wall between the sofas on the non-walkway side. One large rug would fit in this area and you will still have a walkway. It will be much more conversational.
    beachcatt thanked Dar Eckert
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    Why not take advantage of the pillar and twist a potted creeper around it? If you can't get the real thing there are lifelike plants nowadays and if you have more than one type, you could change them from time to time. This of course is provided the pot too is not in the way. Or you could fix a bracket on the pillar and have a trailing plant in a pot. Perhaps the pillar is an afterthought in support of the roof.

This is Dr Guiseppe Mazza's Monstera plant which he says is 40 years old! He is a journalist/scientific photographer who lives in Monaco. He has 32 websites in 4 different languages. This is just in case someone wants to know who he is.
    beachcatt thanked sellaginella
Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County