Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_572966467

Blue colour recommendation for kitchen cabinet

L+J Pen
13 days ago

Please share any blue Benjamin Moore paint colour recommendations for kitchen cabinets. We are interested in a light to medium tone blue. Looking for a true blue or blue-grey, and trying to stay clear of purple and green-toned blues. Also do not want it it look like robin's egg blue.

The cabinets will be a slab finish and the countertop will be black soapstone.

Thank you!!

Comments (24)

• L+J Pen thanked chloebud
  • Paula
    12 days ago

I know you said Benjamin Moore, but you can always paint match. I am currently mad-loving SW Dutch Tile Blue! It does look quite different based on natural lighting, but I love it either way. Their website shows it fairly accurately in sunny vs night - you might want to look at it.

L+J Pen thanked Paula
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    12 days ago

Ummm…maybe she likes blue? 😂

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 days ago

So many beautiful blues! You could try Jamestown Blue, Buxton Blue, Yarmouth Blue, Cape Blue, Franklin Lakes, Saratoga Springs, Blue Stream, Colonial Blue, Northern Air. All are blue/gray-blue. But you need to view them with everything that's going with them--flooring, counter tops, etc. In your room with your light.

L+J Pen thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    Minardi
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Slab cabinets are best done in laminates, foils, solid acrylics, etc. Not paint. While paint offers more options, its the easiest to mess up, and the easiest to show wear and tear. Any cabinet maker who paints slab MDF had better be very very experienced in finishing. Not a lot are experienced in slab MDF.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

At best, a slab door in blue, would need to be a VERY deep blue......or look quite misplaced.

It should also be a factory finish.

The paint in a very deep blue with soapstone? Nope, not the best idea.

Perhaps show an inspo of exactly what you are going for, as it seems a style/color mash up. Lighter tone would suggest a more detailed door

Deep? A lighter counter top, less traditional

• L+J Pen
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thank you for your suggestions. Here is a photo of the layout plus the sample blues we have painted. Starting from the left, Yarmouth blue, Blue nose, old blue jean, denim wash, northern air and mt Rainer gray. The floors will remain. The window wall will have no uppers and the walls will be painted white (TBD). The windows face NW so there is good evening light but mid day less light. The cabinets are being made and lacquered by the cabinet company. They colour match to BM. Was curious if people have used a blue with a soapstone counter.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

Where is your inspo for the space?? What IS your flooring?You are shooting fish in a barrel.

Your blues? Light blue makes no connection with a slab door. It DOES with a more traditional door.

• herbflavor
    12 days ago

navy or the darker blue w sopastone is a nice classic look..but it depends on details. its very much "little black dress "

heres hardware/some other white surfaces/ pendants etc to make the darker island top/ darker perimeter cabinets all work so well. ...even in small space.... can you show what is going on?

Hale Navy · More Info

• PRO
    Minardi
    12 days ago

Dark on dark is going to need 10K of electrical work for a much better lighting plan, so you can see that the black and navy are actually different colors. Without enough light, you can't tell the difference.

• Monique
    12 days ago

Blue slab doors plus soapstone plus waterfalls is a mixed up mishmash of styles. Sort out the style indpiration girst. Then sort out the materials. Your higher end slab door companies will mostly use thermofoil, or HPL, not paint.

• S M
    12 days ago

This is a Sherwin Williams color, but we used it in our laundry room slab cabinets.. Delft.

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

A mashup of styles is also know as eclectic or thinking outside the box. It does take more skill to pull off, and isn't frequent on Houzz. But, don't let that stop you from trying. There is no reason .you can't have light color flat front cabinets. And no reason you can't try to have soapstone with light blue.

I'd select your stone first because you'll have so many paint colors to choose from in trying to find a good match. If you go with paint color first, you'll likely back yourself into a corner with fewer stone options. Soapstones come in a lot of colors - are you thinking more black or lighter?

Soapstone-ish counters with light to mid blue cabinets. It can be done!

Oregon Guest Cottage · More Info

Mac-Groveland Duplex · More Info

French Farmhouse · More Info

Flat front light blue and grey blue cabinets. It can be done!

L+J Pen thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 days ago

Here are some images of blue kitchen cabinets and soapstone counter tops.

Notice that yes, most of them are dark blue and with doors in a very simple shaker style but slab drawers. They are also mostly traditional/farmhouse/transitional, no modern kitchens showed up on the Houzz search. Only you can decide if this is the look you want.

Cornwall Farmhouse Rehab · More Info

LUXURY WORK STATIONS · More Info

South Shore Beach House · More Info

Ballard Whole House Remodel: Kitchen · More Info

Designer’s Own Kitchen – Lower Manhattan · More Info

Designer’s Own Kitchen – Lower Manhattan · More Info

L+J Pen thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • RedRyder
    12 days ago

From the photos posted by Diana and Kendrah, I think your blue + soapstone idea can be stunning. Just don’t call it any particular style (“We’re doing a modern kitchen in blue with soapstone.” Or “We’re doing a farmhouse kitchen….). Just do what makes you happy.

I agree the choice of stones is more limited, so get that picked out first. Then find the right blue. Endless options there…

L+J Pen thanked RedRyder
  • beeboo22
    12 days ago

Thank you Kendrah and Diana for finding pics of what OP is proposing. Love them!

“A mashup of styles is also know as eclectic or thinking outside the box. It does take more skill to pull off, and isn't frequent on Houzz. But, don't let that stop you from trying.”🎯💯

L+J Pen thanked beeboo22
  • L+J Pen
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thank you everyone for your comments and posting the images! The images are similar to the look we are drawn to, it's just hard to pick the right blue. So was curious if anyone has done a similar design and had a blue that they recommended, knowing it might not be the exact one we choose, but may be inspiration.

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

For inspiration that is more eclectic, less mass produced, less American, or deviates from a cookie cutter aesthetic, I tend to look outside of Houzz and do google searches, pintrest, architectural digest, and clever (which is part of AD). Here are some pics I found in those places. Unfortunately, I don't have paint names but perhaps the pics will help get you closer to an idea of intensity of shade and undertones.

When picking colors, I often go to Farrow and Ball because they don't have 500 kinds of blue. I will find something I like there and then google a farrow and ball benjamin moore match. Sometimes the match is off, but if I scroll down to the bottom of the Benjamin Moore color match page, it will make suggestions for others like it. It is sometimes a fruitful rabbit hole to go down.

Once you select a color, will your cabinet person make a sample door for you? I have always found that the paint color looks different in the cabinet maker's finish than on a chip. It is important to play with the door sample in the light of your home to see how you like it in there.

What are the floors?

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

Also google image search "best benjamin moore grey blues" and you'll find a lot of collections that people have put together, like this.

L+J Pen thanked Kendrah
  • L+J Pen
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thanks for those images and suggestions. Great inspiration. We've purchased some MDF slabs and done some colour samples ourselves and next our cabinet company will do a sample cabinet. I'm just struggling to pick, but ultimately will just have to make a decision.

• RedRyder
    11 days ago

Pick your soapstone and THEN pick your blue.

There are thousands of beautiful blues but your stone will be more “one-of-a-kind”. At a minimum, get a piece of it so you can look at blue paints with the soapstone IN HAND. Not every blue will be perfect with your soapstone.

Don’t guess.

• PRO
    Zumi
    10 days ago

Also, why just Benjamin Moore? A good professional quality industrial cabinet coating will be able to match SW or FB, etc. You are not planning on using actual BM wall paint on your cabinets, right? Because no pro should do that.