Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yanni_guo35

Too much gray for the bathroom?

Yanni Guo
13 days ago

We selected gray floor tiles with gray cabinets for our bathroom and kind of regret it now. Should we try to redo the flooring now before they finish the job or continue with the job and hope that adding in the grout would make a difference? If we redo the flooring, what color should we use to match the shower and the cabinets?

Comments (25)

• Susan Davis
    13 days ago

This is really stunning! If I were to change anything I would repaint the cabinet in white or cream. Top with white counter. Warm up with gold hardware, mirrors, etc.

• KW PNW Z8
    13 days ago

Whoa! It’s way too early to be second guessing your choices & for anyone to be telling you to repaint brand new cabinetry! Take a deep breath. As Susan Davis said - this is really stunning. So, why suggest any changes. What color grout are you using on floor? The colors you have are neutral & you’ll be able to use any colors of paint on walls & for fabrics like towels, rugs etc that you want because of that. Don’t forget art. You haven’t shown the entire room so we don’t know about windows & natural light or light fixtures etc. IMO, anyone suggesting any changes based on the limited view you’ve shown is just nuts. The pieces you have shown look cohesive and very pretty so just press on with choosing your grout for flooring. For me, I’d choose a grout to match floor tiles.

• Kendrah
    13 days ago

I think it is an elevated, beautiful look. Probably more sophisticated than what I usually see on Houzz. All you have to look at now is just grey. But once you get your hardware and plumbing in you will start to see contrast of color and pops of texture and you'll be glad for the seamless beautiful background. Hope you share more pics as you move along.

• freedomplace1
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Well... since I might possibly be ”nuts” - I will just offer you a few other options. ;)

First, I will just say that it’s true that the room looks lovely - and you can certainly work with it, as is. And yes, with accessories, etc., you can vary all the grey. And grey is definitely an official neutral. :) But, a room full of grey, is a room full of grey. And if you are having strong second thoughts, I cannot say that I personally blame you. And most importantly, go with your instincts; go with your gut. It’s your space.

So, if you like any of these specific looks, I can give you more info. I mocked up a few looks with waterproof LVP, as well as a cream, marble mosaic tile and a grey terrazzo look tile, that has some earth tones in it (the visual does not do the terrazzo-look tile justice). These are rough visuals, and you would of course need to see samples in person, in your space.

ETA: I thought included the cream, marble mosaic, but I did not; and now, I can’t find it! But here are a couple of more looks, for you.

• Yanni Guo
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I couldn’t attach videos before but have included videos of the bathroom now. If we keep the gray tiles I am also trying to figure out what tiles to use for the walls where the tub will be by the windows to avoid water splashing on the walls.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

There are no videos. You don't need a video, just add more pictures. Where is the tub going, add a picture, or show the location on your 2 d plan of the bath. The plan with all the feet and inches for everything.

If you are worrying on water "splashing" from a free standing tub to walls? It is TOO CLOSE to walls to BE a free standing tub.

It's left of the vanity here? Looks tight.........very.

What is the counter top material?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

Choose either the shower wall tile or the floor tile do not add another tile to this mix. If ever again you do this type of space KISS I like 12 x24 porcelain tile for both bathroom floors and shower walls the same tile only smaller for the shower floor . I agree if water will spalsh from the tub you do not have room for a FS tub . It needs a min. of 12" around it all and even then to clean the wall behind the tub will require you to almost stand on your head to do so while standing in the tub. Please do not add a grout that makes this a bigger mess just match the tile .Once this is all finished add color with art, towels good LED lighting all 4000K , accessories and all the rest can be changed easily too.

• J Sk
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Lovely, everything works

• kculbers
    12 days ago

I like your pale gray flooring with gray cabinetry, it works!! Gray is a fabulous neutral in a bathroom. You can add colorful towels and mat to add color.

• debrak6
    12 days ago

Paul F. will you pretty please stick around for a year or so while we build? Feel free to add horses or camels or whatever you like in odd places but I may need you. LOL

• debrak6
    12 days ago

Yanni Guo your bathroom looks beautiful; very serene and well done. I wouldn't be change a thing. I would be tempted to use the floor tile around the tub.

• eld6161
    11 days ago

My only change would be a white vanity. But…..this looks perfectly fine.

i would try to get a color in there with towels and rug.

Look into washable rugs with patterns. Not those solid bath mats.

• eld6161
    11 days ago

I am going to order a larger version of this for a gray bathroom in my other home.

It’s from Wayfair. Washes well.

• Kendrah
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

YanniI, I too would be temped to use the same color tile on the wall. I am a huge fan of monochromatic spaces. I find them very relaxing.

If you are looking to break up the final look a bit, you don’t have to use pops of color. Even white or other neutral colors would work as accents in here.

When staging my bathroom for resale, I painted walls, ceiling, shelving grey. Fluffy white towels and a small sucullent plant were the perfect pops of variation.

• RedRyder
    10 days ago

You’re having a classic Mid-Renovation Anxiety Attack. Congratulations! You’re normal. Most of us freak out mid-job no matter how confident we thought we were with our choices.

This looks LOVELY! It’s very serene, which is a good adjective for a bathroom. Please follow @JAN MOYER’s request for detailed measurements and more photos. You will get more advice - and confidence - for your choices. So far, looking good.

• einportlandor
    10 days ago

I'm usually not a fan of gray but your bathroom is gorgeous! Don't change it! You can add a bit of color or texture with linens, art, fixtures, etc. But personally I think the monochromatic scheme works extremely well. Just add white towels.

• freedomplace1
    10 days ago

The whole idea is - some people like monochromatic everything grey (etc.) and some people don’t. It’s great to reassure the OP that their choices are great. But if someone posts a dilemma here specifically requesting other possible flooring options - I have to at least make an attempt to assume that they are possibly interested in other flooring options.

• Yanni Guo
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you all so much for making me feel better about our tile choices. Posting more photos. Now that I’ve had more time to process and get used to the tiles, I realized that since the bathroom isn’t too big anyways I can easily put a rug or two over the flooring to soften it.

• Jennz9b
    10 days ago

Your bathroom is serene and beautiful. like someone else said, i dont even like grey and i think this looks great. dont worry!

• worthyvess
    9 days ago

Your choices are lovely, don’t change a thing! And if you have to tile around the tub, I agree, use the floor or the shower tile.

• akshoppng
    9 days ago

@freedomplace1 what software did you use to change the floor tiles in the pics so beautifully? Plz share, I luv how effortlessly you were able to see the impact without having to resort to changing the tiles

• A G
    9 days ago

@Yanni Guo - do you mind sharing what tile you have on the floor? It looks great!

• freedomplace1
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Hi @akshopping . Thank you! :) There are sites that have visualizer features, and for these visuals, that is what I used. In this case, I used the tools at Tile Bar and LL Flooring. Very user friendly.

• Yanni Guo
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Hi @AG! The floor tile is called corta gray from Floor and Decor.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath