Shop Products
grace_short34

Gardening trouble. Transplant shock or something else?

Tis the season that I obsess over these dang vegetables once I put them in the ground! It’s been just about a week to a week and a half since I planted most of these. The soil has been pretty moist since. But things are not looking great. I incorporated a fertilizer into the dirt when planting and I hit the peppers with a little nitrogen. Is it just transplant shock going on or something else? Can’t decide why these plants are turning yellow from the center out and there is a strange metallic like residue on the basil.

• last month

Beats me,I was about to suggest a shot of N until you said you already did. It's a shot in the dark but I'd add a product with as many mirconeutrents as possable (no or minimum N) I don't know if there's something better but I use fish oil and/or M. Grow on new transplants. Other than onions and potatoes, I don't normally add suplimental fertilize after transplants have established.

• last month

You don't give your location. Is it warm enough where you are to put out these hot weather plants?

• last month

Sorry, in Denver, Colorado. I waited until the last frost to plant but we did have a hail storm while they were fresh in the ground - only hit the peppers, tomatoes and other plants were protected with a shade cloth.

• last month

I would get a soil analasys done. You might be having some weather stress, you might be having some watering stress. It might be transplant stress. But the yellowing can indicate a lot of things, and basil shouldn't really have a metallic residue on it. You might have a shortage of something, and also some overages can cause problems in the dirt.

• last month

If the soil was still cold that could affect their growth other than what looks like broccoli, also possible sun/wind burn on all of them if not hardened off properly.

• last month

Ohh hmm. The soil may well have been cold. The broccoli was grown from seed and possibly not hardened off well but the tomatoes were starters from the hardware store. Think they’ll recover if they just got cold? Also, I have not sprayed anything besides peppers with nitrogen. Worth a shot to hit everything else with a small dose?

• last month

I'm in northern Ut and just planted yesterday. It snowed last week! They look pretty good to me for it only being a week and it still being on the cool side. They'll start growing better once it warms up more.

• last month

That’s what I was hoping to hear!! Thank you!

• last month

Looks to me like they were not hardened off enough. Basil maybe subject to too cold of a night.

• last month

Googling 'cold damage on basil' yields very similar images.

• last month

Oh weird! Hopefully that can survive now that we’re well past the final frost. Thanks!

• 21 days ago

that would be baby grasshoppers damage. have plenty and we got so many that its worst I recall ever.

• 20 days ago

Did you guys freeze on Monday like we did? Some of my tomatoes froze a bit on the top even though I covered them. Everything seems stunted from the cold weather and then it's supposed to be 100 today. Doesn't seem like I can win this year. Freezing to 100 degrees within a week doesn't seem like it should be possible.