Shop Products
jessbny

kitchen counters… quartz? quartzite?

Looking for opinions on kitchen countertops… Scheme is soft white cabinets, walnut peninsula. House is mid-century transitional/modern.

I’ve scoured this board for any mention of Pental Quartz Sona Mira. It looks “marblesque” but is described by the manufacturer as “bold and adventurous.” 😬 https://arcsurfaces.com/quartz/pentalquartz/sono-mira/

Other options would be quartzite in Taj Mahal, White Taj, or Nuage. I love quartzite, but I’m concerned about staining/porosity. Would love to hear about others’ experiences with these. TIA!

• last month

Pic 1. Taj Mahal with potential backsplash tile and knob.
    Pic 2. Sona Mira Pental Quartz

This is going to boil down to your tolerance for surfaces being imperfect. If you are going to stress about every water mark or possible stain, then I'd go with engineered quartz or engineered porcelain (like Neolith or Dekton). The only natural stone I'd consider for the kitchen is soapstone, which would look lovely with your design scheme.

Saucon Valley Classic · More Info

• last month

Following!

• last month

I've installed Taj Mahal quartzite in two homes and it is close to being bulletproof as a kitchen counter. I do nothing special to clean/maintain it.

I even have it behind my outdoor grill, where it gets covered with grease and smoke. I only climb up on the counter and clean back there every few months. All the grease and smoke comes off. It was a remnant with quite a bit of resin/filler, so that will probably yellow over time from high heat exposure, but not the materials fault, just not the best choice for the location.

I have quartz for all my bathroom counters and I've had no issues with any of them. I have used Cambria, Caesarstone, Pental and Radianz.

Test any slabs you are considering, even the quartz, specially if you cook with spices that can stain.

• last month

I think the quartz is pretty, but "Bold and and adventurous"? Seriously? Architectural Surface is really pushing the envelope trying to put that spin on it.

• last month

🤪

• last month

My husband and I are building a home and are going through the quartzite conundrum. We want natural stone, and i wish we could find a granite that would work for the kitchen, as we have granite in current house for many years, absolutely bullet proof. It is the most carefree stone. So back to quartzite: after doing alot of reading and talking to stone "doctors", there are a handful of true quartzites that are closest to granite in low porosity. Taj mahal, crystallo, perla venata, sea pearl. The stone warehouses won't tell you about the majority of stones labeled quartzite being more in the sandstone category and thus more porous. I think the Taz with your hardware and tile look great. That's what I would choose. We are using walnut for our island also! It's between Taj and Crystallo for us. Please post pics when you are done!

• last month

@bellererre - we’re going with Taj quartzite. The crystallo was gorgeous but 2-3x the price.

Great decision. I find any of the quartz patterns with wide and prominent veining to be very fake looking, and not at all attractive. I think they are going to be outdated at some point and no one will want them anymore, similar to what happened to the speckly granites of the '90s.

• last month

Agreed - it seems to me that the benefit of getting a manmade material is that you can control the uniformity of it. For example, a quartz that looks almost list a terrazzo or a more solid color - white, off white, slate colored, etc.

For a material to mimic a natural stone feels like it will always fall short to mother nature. And especially if the veining isn't going all the way through so it looks weird on the horizontal face of the counter...

Interestingly, I don't think I feel this way about tile in a bathroom if it's done well...

• last month

The picture above from Sabrina Alfin was one of our inspiration photos. We also have white and walnut. Loved the idea of soapstone but ultimately ended up with a quartzite that we love. It has been bulletproof with 4 kids that we cannot keep up with! These are old pics before everything was done but show the countertop fairly well.