Shop Products
sgalen

Reconfiguring kitchen on a budget

Hi Houzzers. We have a rental that sustained quite a bit of damage during a recent tornado. The good news is that we intended to eventually replace the flooring with real wood and reconfigue the kitchen and now insurance will pay for part of that. We intend to move into this house within a year or two and were going to do the work then. However, because insurance will pay for new flooring now and the cabinets have to be taken out in the process we this this may be the time to do a good portion of the work. Tenant had to move out, so we won't be disturbing them. None of the design is mine, so you won't hurt my feelings - all ideas welcome.

Things I want to change:

- Hate the corner sink and the angled countertop. Dishwasher opening is awkward.

- Bar-height overhang is less than 9", so is nearly useless. Would prefer counter-height seating area, but would need to move cabinets in order to maintain walkway between Living/Dining and Hall.

- Dislike the columns, but they appear to be structural. Style can be changed, though.

- Pendant lighting (some of it was broken anyway).

- Fireplace in living room - all ideas welcome.

- Backsplash

Things I don't mind:

- The cabinets are fine and it would be my preference to keep them if possible. However, my guess is they were built on-site and aren't modular so I may have to change them. They will all have to come out (temporarily) anyway in order to remove the flooring.

- I don't mind the granite, but it wouldn't have been my first choice. In order to change counter seating and sink placement I will need to get new granite for that side of the kitchen anyway. But it may be possible to keep countertops where range is and next to fridge.

- The island is a little awkward, but it will need to be removed/made smaller in order to have a larger counter-height seating area.

- Don't mind the raised countertop next to the entry hall. It's between two columns and does a nice job blocking view of countertops from entry.

Things I want to keep:

- All appliance placement (except dishwasher).

• last month

Agree on the dishwasher. I have a corner sink and the dishwasher is one trash cabinet removed from the sink. Leaves room to open the dishwasher while standing at the sink.

Inadequate! Flesh out your drawing to exact feet and inches for everything to include fridge and stair wall.. Show WHERE the other openings lead. Where is the garage entry. etc, the size of the dining area beyond, counter edge to WINDOW wall.

The raised counter "blocks" nothing, and closes in space visually, especially with arches and columns.

• last month

Regarding measurements, i will have to try to do it this weekend. I don’t live there and it’s being deconstructed (tornado cleanup). Didn’t want to be in the way of the workers.

When you get there use grapjh paper todo a to scaled drwing of that whole are , Show those supprt bems with those measurements . You show the space e mpty every meaurement clearly marked . If the plumbing is accessible form underneath then you do not show that. Right now the workers should be removing all the cabinets and appliances and insted of gaving the floor done now have enough flooring to do the kitchen completly after you have aplan. Store the extra flooring ideally in thebasement or a spare room.You have time to get an engineer to advise what can be done with the posts and you will need to figure out how much money you are willing to add to the insurance money. Post that plan here in jpeg format in a comment DO NOT start another post . We also need to know if you are going to have renters when the repairs are done. I ask becuse then this kitchen will need doing right now .

Susie . thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting

You aren't changing the layout on a budget with those support columns there. Focus on replacement of what exists. With minor tweaks. That is all that will be affordable or practical for a kitchen like that, even if you lived in it every day.

• last month

Thanks for the input.

No intention of removing support posts - a beam that long would be too much $. We will need to work around them -- I just want to make them look better than they do now. The dark wood with the large crown moulding is not my style.

As mentioned above, tenant has moved out until work is complete, so it's an ideal time to make changes. I won't be doing anything until I have a plan and will most likely hire a kitchen designer if I decide to go forward with changes. Only hoping for some general thoughts/ideas/inspiration/watchouts from the Houzz brain trust with this post.

The flooring has been removed. Fans and dehumidifiers are drying the house. Just waiting on granite company to come remove the countertops so they can get to the flooring under the cabinets. New flooring won't be put in until the roof and walls have been rebuilt - there are much bigger issues that need to be addressed before the flooring is installed.

Here is a drawing of the area without cabinets/appliances. Plumbing is accessible from below. Let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks again for your help.

• last month

Oh, forgot to mention - regarding the raised counter - I do not like them, I thought I mentioned that. I would only want to keep the one adjacent to the "entry hall" if I moved the sink to that area between the two posts so it would block any splashing from the sink. It may look odd, though so any other ideas are welcome.

"On a budget" begs the question of budget and location. But, nothing you've expressed so far actually keeps you to a low budget, so there's that.

Keeping all but sink /d.w placement

• last month

First, glad that you were not there during the tornado.

What all was damaged by the tornado? Your initial post makes it appear that there was significant damage - but then you only comment about the floor replacement being covered. Maybe I’ve misunderstood something.

Was more of the kitchen damaged = insurance money covering other parts of this renovation (in addition to the flooring)?

If we have an idea re: budget, people will be able to provide more help regarding redesigning your kitchen.

You're doing floors no matter what.

This might not be too bad $$$- in ANY case, make island level at 36” high, especially in a space with those columns.

You've got a ton of width from front entry- don't squeeze the other passages

• last month

Thanks Jan, I like that idea! Hadn’t thought of going into the entry. Lose some storage, but the pantry is a lot of space (IMO).

• last month

Dani, this is the first floor. Most of the damage is the second floor. The roof, attic and the bedroom right above the dining room were destroyed. Then water poured into the house while I waited for insurance to approve work that would allow the roofing company to just tarp the roof and walls. These photos are not recent - it looks like a battleground in there. Luckily, my tenants daughter was at her dad’s house (it was her bedroom that was destroyed). HVAC system was destroyed and the ducting will need to be rebuilt because of all the water. Unfortunately, the cabinets were not affected. 😁 They just need to be removed to get to the flooring. The same flooring ran throughout the house and it can’t be matched, so it’s all coming out. It was damaged upstairs and downstairs.

I really hate those columns. I double hate them in wood /stain.

Maybe get free of them entirely! Lets face it......it's a poorly designed but common layout from two decades ago.

• last month

I hate them also, but I imagine a beam that size would cost a fortune. I definitely want to make the disappear visually. The oversized crown seems to make them even worse.

YES...... agree!! But getting free of them with the island, die the crown INTO the ceiling and painting to white as window trim, or even wall color would help immensely!!

To be clear….. when I suggested being free of posts , I meant free the ISLAND from the posts. Seems you have room

Stilll plenty of clearances :)

• 28 days ago

I got your meaning. Thanks again for your expertise. I am having someone over to give me a rough estimate today!