Shop Products

Siding style dilemma

We’re updating our vinyl siding and I really like the Cedar Impressions style vs thr clapboard style, however the cost for Cedar Impressions is higher than I’d like to spend. I am considering doing a combination of both to save a little. cedar impressions on the front and clapboard on the sides and back. my question is does this look stupid?

my house currently and the color we chose:

Some local homes near me that have done the combination of siding I am considering just in different colors.

also while I am here can you give me your opinion on my shutters? Keep them or no? Thank you!!

Small house = one material. Shutters are fine on this style of American small house.

HU-714935273 thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • 25 days ago

I like the choice of the shake style; I think it will improve the curb appeal of your home. Keep the shutters.

HU-714935273 thanked mcbmd3
  • 25 days ago

Shake style for sure im just wondering if doing the combination of both would look weird

• 25 days ago

stick with one material, the house is too small to mix.

• 25 days ago

I really love this house and your current colors. IMO you don't need to do a thing. Are you just wanting a change? The front door could be a brighter yellow...that would be nice.

Mix some sixpacks of flowers into the planting strip and mailbox bed.

• 25 days ago

thank you, we’ve always hated this light blue color but always had to spend money on other areas. there are some areas needing repairs that would require replacing thr siding and this color is so old and not available anymore.

the front planting beds are hard to keep anytning going there we get a ton of south facing sun. But its on my list of to do’s to find something thst works in thise areas!

• 25 days ago

If you hate the pale blue that's different. The mid-tone blue in your inspos are nice.

The one thing I notice is that the window on the left is partially blocked by the hedge. The left window and its shutters should be seen in full-- so as to visually balance with the window on the right.

A vertical white plaque for house numbers should go to the right of the front door, above the rail. It would give that wall something other than the window.

Little things like these can make a big difference.

• 25 days ago

Yes shrubs are overgrown for sure id hate to pull them out I wonder if they can be cut back that much

• 25 days ago

I would not mix 2 styles. I always hated that look when we lived in New England. No different than putting brick on the front of the house only and siding on the rest.

Either splurge for the one you really like or accept the one that fits the budget.

How long do you plan to live in the house? Will you get to enjoy the one you like for the next 10, 15 or 20 years? If you plan on moving sooner, then keep to the budget.

• 25 days ago

Because Certain teed is what my contractor uses

Well then consider a different contractor because he's forcing you to do something you don't want to do.

I would imagine that some contractors are tied in with certain siding manufacturers because they get special pricing.

I don't believe that prohibits you from buying a siding and hiring a contractor to install it for you. Heck they sell the vinyl shake siding at the local Lowes store.

There's nothing like a small charming house faced with shake siding. It really adds to the value of thehome.

• 25 days ago

Lol, not quite. When I hire someone i expect them to know more about the job(and products) than I do. All siding is expensive no one is forcing me to use a product i don’t want.

• 25 days ago

I saw you're going for the gray siding. I used my cut and paste from your sample.

Charcoal Gray and White for shutters and trim.

The front door in Coral or French Blue, Natural Wood?

Train the big shrub on the left so it shows the window but hides the corner of the roof....an illusion that makes that side of the house seem wider. Plant solar lamps down the planting strip.

BTW, I have heard here on Houzz that it is common in areas of the country for the front of a house to be shakes and the rest clapboard....and you have examples in you own neighborhood.

You can bring a piece your siding to any paint store, they can scan it and match it exactly. Then patch and paint the rest of the existing wood clapboard. Can't you patch and paint the front too? From your photo the facade looks fine.

If you're keeping some wood clapboard, why not real wood shakes for the facade, then paint everything the color you want. The wood would be consistant across the two sidings and feel more cohesive than wood and vinyl together. Prime the shakes first.

• 25 days ago

thanks for the mock ups they look nice! What we have currently is vinyl siding not wood, we dont want wood and would rather have new vinyl because we want simething maintenance free.

• 25 days ago

Here are some really cute Cape houses. Classic White.

• 25 days ago

Go dark.

• 25 days ago

Green can be striking.

• 25 days ago

Using vertical board and batten changes the look of the house.

• 25 days ago

An almost-dark green with white trim is pretty.

• 24 days ago

FYI: Historically, many early New England cottages (including those built on Cape Cod) abided by a hierarchy of design, placing more expensive clapboard siding on the front of the home, and less expensive shake/shingle siding on the sides and back. A reflection of frugality, too. You place the more expensive building components where the public is best able to appreciate it and the less expensive material where the public is less likely to go. They practiced the same idea inside, expending more money on the finishing of public rooms than they spent on rooms that only the family would see. Irony here? The more expensive product these days is the shake/shingle siding!