Software
Houzz Logo Print
joan_bollet

replacing a green sofa

2 years ago

I have a very old sofa that mey daughter wants me to replace. Problem is that I have had great difficulties in finding a green color that would work with the scheme that I have now. I have checked with some of the semi custom manufacturers and their fabric array doesn't work for me. I had budgeted between $1500 and $2500 for this purchase . I'm a bit old (86)so hitting multiple stores will not work. Does anyone have suggestions for me?


The pictures are of my HOA unit - the living room end and the kitchen wall.

Joan's ideas · More Info


Joan's ideas · More Info


Comments (25)

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    That will be difficult.

    How about a white slip covered sofa? I have a chair from Four Season’s. Very comfortable, and the cover is washable.



    You can use the throw pillows.

    Four Season’s also has 400 fabric choices.

    Joan Bollet thanked eld6161
  • 2 years ago

    I love your color scheme, it’s so cheery! I agree that slipcovers may be your best bet.

    Joan Bollet thanked NagyMama
  • 2 years ago

    Looked at Four Seasons and was intrigued - but nearest showroom is in British Columbia 75 miles away and they only sell thru retailers. Live in Seattle WA suburb

  • 2 years ago

    I love the current color. Can you keep the sofa as-is, or is your daughter very determined? It’s so hard to find a good, confident green in home furnishings these days (says the lady with lime green carpeting in her living room). The current gray muck version of ”sage” doesn’t cut it for me.

    Joan Bollet thanked petula67
  • 2 years ago

    Maybe it would be simpler to get a new slipcover for your existing sofa. Or is there some other problem with it? Even if you need to replace some of the foam, it might give you more options than looking for a green sofa in your price range. The Four Seasons sofas I saw online were well over $3000.

    Joan Bollet thanked partim
  • 2 years ago

    The old sofa was purchased in the 80's and already has a slipcover since my third last cat (may they rest in peace) scratched the dickens out of one arm. It is bottoming out as well. if I forget and sit in it, it almost requires a hoist to get out of it. and yes, the sage greens and the yellow greens just don't work for me.

  • 2 years ago

    Sorry i have no shopping suggestions, but I love the hoist imagery. I just replaced the webbing on my mom’s old 1960s sofa for the same reason. She tried flattened cardboard boxes under the cushions, but her butt was still inches from the floor.

  • 2 years ago

    How about navy blue sofa? Pottery Barn. Under $1500. Tie in to color scheme with green throw pillow accents. Amazon.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Do you have a Room and Board? They have a number of sofas in your price range, in a fabric called Vance Emerald.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    First is it in good shape? If so I like it it is a bit different and fun. Sorry my kids will never tell me how to decorate my home , You are a big girtl just say no.I think your room looks awesome and not old lady at all.

    Joan Bollet thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 2 years ago

    I would bring a cushion and pillow to a furniture store and find a fabric that works.

  • 2 years ago

    Actually my mother had trouble getting off the low 1960s sofa in the den and she had risers made for the legs to raise the whole thing up a bit and put a backboard type thing under the cushions to make it a bit firmer, because she did not feel like replacing it. It wasn't skirted and it sat up higher so looks wise it looked tall but if functioned better for her.

    Here is the Vance Emerald fabric


  • 2 years ago

    She said it's not in good shape. It's bottoming out and one of the arms is in bad shape.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    THis is why choosing to read the posts in order oldest first is the best plan .

    Joan Bollet thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    The current green sofa you have looks like it might be hard to find, however you could look at getting another sofa and then a slipcover to go over it if you can't find the color you want. Below is some inspiration from a design we did for a client with lots of green:

    Ballard Refresh · More Info


    Joan Bollet thanked Kimberlee Marie Interiors
  • 2 years ago

    If you were open to a change, choices and price options will really increase. Navy couches are popular and with lovely green and white cushions, you’ll have a refreshing and pretty room, complementary to your taste and room.



    Joan Bollet thanked Maureen
  • 2 years ago

    Last year I purchased a custom chair in a vibrant green color like yours. I attach a photo of the fabric that was used. It was pricey but went well with other fabrics in my room—the pillows behind it and a green and white gingham check drapery fabric.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    If you don't need a full-size sofa, you can get an apartment sized one (75" long) and save some $$. Ballard Designs has the Hartwell sofa in Kiwi Sunbrella for a bit more than your budget, if you can swing $2,700.

    https://www.ballarddesigns.com/hartwell-upholstered-apartment-sofa/furniture/living-room/sofas/439364?listIndex=15&uniqueId=439364&isNewProduct=false

    Joan Bollet thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Also need a skirted or low sofa base. There is an unused fireplace behind the sofa and a brick hearth. I removed the stone facing of the fireplace because I knew I would not use it. I left the fireplace opening for future residents and hid the opening with the sofa. Just closed the damper. Do like the Kiwi green tho very much.

  • 2 years ago

    Unfortunately beyond your price point, but Williams Sonoma has a green available that looks very close. I think the fabric is available in other sofas besides this one:



    Joan Bollet thanked Olychick
  • 2 years ago

    Why get a new sofa if you dont want to? If someone told me that what I have is old and needs me to buy a new one, I will tell them that I am also old, so who cares? At my age, I have little care for such things to go forward with. I cant see it up close but it looks just fine. If it was in really bad condition, full of funky animal hair, shredded by the cats and/or stained, or was one of those orange ones from the last century. That would be different.

    As life has aged me, I care less and less. But, that is just my perspective.

    I wont buy much of anything anymore.

    I love the green!

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you - i am very invested in design.. Can't get one of my daughters to understand how much it matters to me. Your replies have pointed me to a possible source The Ballard apartment size sofa does seem to be the answer.


  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Another option is to have the foam replaced and fix the webbing or springs. It won't be inexpensive but neither is a new sofa.

  • 2 years ago

    It looks as if I am going to have to revise ny budget for the green sofa. When you get a rarely purchased item, it is sometimes a bit of sticker shock to see the differences in price. At one time , we had 2 lists on the refrigerator forI want and I need. I want the sofa to be a certain way and I do need it in useful condition. No wonder i had trouble teaching one of my children the difference. Thank you all for your input -

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz