Software
Houzz Logo Print
internet1382

Your opinions, please, on using this tile on a bathroom counter.

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have this tile on my shower floor where I love it. It has a bit of rough texture so I don't feel the need to use a mat. But I am wondering if it would also work well on the bathroom counter. Is the grout bad to put there? If I wiped it dry every time I used it, would it work? Any other pros or cons?


Oops. Sorry about that. I tried several times and can't get the image to stick. Here is the link to it: https://www.flooranddecor.com/stone-decoratives/caribbean-green-hexagon-polished-marble-mosaic-100052604.html?utm_content=M-Shopping&utm_term=&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo8S3BhDeARIsAFRmkOO0LZbVd4OXY-JmudaWRrRCRcFDwBNoX_ROlXTulLTPcVx-_7d_BNAaAvfkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds 


Comments (13)

  • 2 years ago

    Photos didn't upload.


    Tile counters are easy to maintain with Scrubbing Bubbles, 409 or other non-abrasive cleaners when new or only a couple decades old. After 20 or 30 years, the tile's surface can get worn.

  • 2 years ago

    In my previous house I ripped out tiled counters in 5 bathrooms, so my vote is don't do it!

  • 2 years ago

    I agree with chispa - hard to keep clean. I’ve removed a couple to and replaced with solid surface and concrete.

  • 2 years ago

    I'd never, ever want a tile counter. No thanks to cleaning grout on a countertop surface. Let it be the star of the show on your floor and get another countertop.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Tile top counters went away for a reason, in both kitchens and baths..........: ) We can't see the tile, or the bath.

    A rough texture on tile? even worse!

    Show what you are doing.?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I did tile on my kitchen counter as a stop gap until I could get the counter I wanted it was awful cleaning the grout was achore everytime I cooked nove again and in abathroom where toothpaste is a norm no way. What atexture ever ?

    BTW when posting pics do so in a comment and wit util the pic is not longer grayed then submit.

  • 2 years ago

    I have never used a marble tile in a bathroom or kitchen. I love the look of marble, but I worry about the staining, etching and issues that are inherent with marble.


    Some of the other ladies here may have more experience and advice on using this material as a shower floor. If I were to use this I would use a solid green marble countertop and this as the backsplash.


  • 2 years ago

    I would not use marble as a shower floor. There have been many posts on this forum from people who did it. It doesn't seem to dry consistently and the appearance can be mottled. Use a porcelain look alike. That's what I did in my last bathroom remodel. I also wouldn't use it on a bathroom floor if boys or men use the bath as you will get etching around the toilet (this I know from experience). I have used marble countertops in bathrooms, but I would only do that in a primary bath where the users are adults and are careful with the surface. Quartz is a good countertop material in bathrooms and probably the most popular now.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    She asked about tile on a vanity top? No I wouldn't, but marble does get used on vanity tops as a solid surface.....all the time. The OP already has the floor, don't repeat it on tops

    Another lesson in don't start new posts, when you have a post on the same room or situation. Who knew?: ) so good catch above.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    No tiles on a counter, ever. They are a pain to keep clean.

  • 2 years ago

    As has been already commented on several times above, tile for countertops isn't a great idea. Using 2" marble hexagon tile on a countertop is even a worse idea IMHO - so many grout lines that will collect "stuff" = yuck.


    Also, when you purchase marble from a big box store, you need to be careful - it tends to be lower quality marble (which will have more impurities in it = rust may develop within the stone if it stays wet). My understanding is that F&D has some marble that is actually mined in Italy and Greece (manufactured = cut + adhered to mesh, if mosaic, in China - but sourced from Italy (for Cararra and Calacatta) /Greece (for Thassos) which will be better quality. I think F&D sells countertop slabs - they may have marble - but confirm the place of origin.


    If your shower pan was constructed as a traditional type pan = water in/water out = no surface waterproof membrane used, you will be less likely to have water that stays in your marble (darkening it in certain areas - e.g., around the drain). However, that holds true only if your pan was built correctly with a pre-slope used under the pvc liner - which directs the water that enters the deck mud to the weep holes in the drain.


    I have a polished marble countertop in a guest bathroom that I thought would see very little use. HOWEVER, we had issues with the renovation of our primary bathroom - so, this guest bathroom (larger than the other one) became our "primary bathroom" for a LONG time. My SO isn't the best at wiping up after himself (although, he has gotten better at it). The polished marble countertop has held up much better than I thought it would. There are a couple etch marks - no one notices them other than me (and I barely do - unless I tilt my head in order to look at the counter from an angle with light shining down on it).


    I am not using marble in my primary bathroom for my countertop (my shower walls are honed Cararra - not from a big box store) - but I decided not to use it for the vanity because I don't want to worry about that countertop (which will be the only one used every day once the renovation is finished).


    You can find remnant pieces of quartzite/quartz/marble in a fabricator's "graveyard" = where they keep leftover pieces from slabs. I've heard many people post about finding great deals on those pieces. Also, there are prefab countertops that would work for a vanity - different places sell those (I've not researched prefab countertops - but I've heard about good prices on those also).


    If you post photos of your actual bathroom, people will be able to suggest what material to use for your countertop. As already suggested in a comment above, you could use the green marble hexagons on the wall behind/above your vanity if you want to add it in another place in your bathroom.


    I would most likely use a solid white for the countertop (+ for the top of the shower curb + any caps for partial walls + inside a niche, if any).

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Thank you to everyone! Great comments and things to think about. I am all about green and that is relatively uncommon in tiles and such. I'll keep looking.


    I live alone and am somewhat fanatical about wiping down shower doors and walls, the shower floor and my current countertop. It's long since become habit to do so. But it's also good to do this right.