Software
Houzz Logo Print
heatherlyman

awkward closet - storage ideas or change?

last year

Hi, Our architect's most recent floor plan includes a closet that is 6' deep and only 3' wide. This closet is adjacent to the living room/kitchen open floor pla

n so lots of things can be stored here from winter jackets and boots, to vacuum, broom, etc. We aren't sure exactly what the needs of this storage space will be but it would be nice to know some creative ways to utilize this space.


We could split the closet with the back half accessible from the deck. If there are unique ways of maximizing storage in a long, narrow closet that you are aware of, I'd love to see your ideas. Thanks!

Comments (7)

  • last year

    generally knowing what you Need to store is important. Eliminate all the clutter before you move in. no need to bring junk and stuff it into spaces just because you have room.

    adding closet systems to closet spaces are great, and utilize every inch.

  • last year
    last modified: last year

    I'm thinking of replacing the swing door noted in the plans with a pocket door but then if I store anything in the front of the closet, it will block anything in the back. I'm just looking for creative ways to maximize this space in ways other people may have done. Based on those ideas, I may decide what to put there. ;)

    If anyone has utilized a closet system in a space like this or has a butler pantry idea of sorts, I'm all ears!

  • last year

    I'd make the nearby bedroom closet a walk in one by combining the spaces.


  • last year

    I had it as a walk-in closet previously and the architect suggested changing it to a storage closet for vacuum, jackets, etc. since there's no other storage like that in the floorplan.

  • last year

    If you can I would definitely change that bench in the foyer to a closet.

  • last year

    We do live in a wet winter climate and it would be nice to have the outdoor storage for either gardening stuff or cushions (or both) but we likely will have room under the deck for those items.


    There is room in 5' crawl space accessible from the stair landing for seasonal items and also room in the entry of the bottom level garage, which will be accessed the most, for skis, boots and jackets. The primary use of the entry on the main level will be for guests and so there won't be a lot of clutter there and therefore we talked about leaving just a bench and some hooks there to make that space feel open and inviting instead of adding a closet.


    Lots of decisions that we may ultimately regret but at least in the entry, we can put a freestanding closet later if we want. I still love the walk-in closet in the secondary bedroom but ultimately, I think we'd use the other closet area accessed from the living room (and/or deck) a lot more.


    I love the stick vacuum idea mounted to the wall with an outlet. Thank you. Space saving! I've seen the rod that runs lengthwise or waterfall hooks that allow for storage like this:

    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9c/48/eb/9c48ebd126976f56fde466e9e419f4fd.jpg


    We are adding a window to the powder room that seems to have been left out of the plans but if you see anything else that you would advise changing, feel free to chime in!


    Thanks all!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH