Software
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Will you all be my Not So AI decorators?

last year
last modified: last year

Your decorating intelligence is the real deal!

Our hall guest bath usually gets used as a PR but we also have a PR/half bath that gets used and I want to give it a bit of love. It will never be a real 'jewel box' type PR given the location off our laundry/mudroom but it's still the bare bones look from when we finished the build.

This jumped out at me for inspiration even though it's probably more jewel box than should be in my house. I love the green, the paneling, the paper - also probably caught my eye because it's a floating vanity.


I'm not sure what direction I can go with wallpaper given the floor I'm working with. There are 2 of those lights over the vanity and I want to keep them (they need better bulbs) unless you think they are horrid but I love the kind of Marrakesh feel they have. Mirror is a thrift find, I painted/aged the frame but nothing I'm married to. Cabinet handles are pewter color and changeable. Faucet is kind of modern chrome, not changing, small towel bar and TP holder match it but I'm open on those.





You can see the reflection of the laundry.


Window is nekked because it's private but would like to soften it with something - stationary, not going to bother with a Roman or anything. Maybe tension cafe?

Thoughts/ideas? My taste leans clean global/traditional - don't laugh! That's my best description. Wallpaper should be the starting point I think, but I'm stuck.

Comments (44)

  • last year

    I like the pendants! I think that they add a unique looking feature to the room. I am thining about using pendants in the redo of my powder room - so, I've been looking at a lot of photos of powder rooms with pendants recently. Typically, they hang a bit lower than yours do.


    Your floor does make selecting the wallpaper a bit more difficult - however, I'm sure that the wallpaper experts will be able to come up with some suggestions that will work with the tile floors.


    Do you like the board and batten in the photo you posted at the beginning of your post? I think that maybe if you did add some type of wainscoting around the room, it would open up the wallpaper choices because the wallpaper wouldn't be right up against the floor (which is a bit busy) - you'd have just a painted wall (wainscoting) that would be right next to the floor.


    I also like the shape of your mirror - how high are your ceilings and how tall is the mirror?


    If you don't need anything on the window for privacy, I'd probably skip adding any type of window treatment - but that's just me.

    DLM2000-GW thanked dani_m08
  • last year

    Hmmm I think wallpaper might be too much with the floor. What about a new paint color for the walls and a piece of art hung over the toilet? Could also add paneling like your inspiration pic.

    DLM2000-GW thanked Sueb20
  • last year

    I think you could do wallpaper if you found something small and simple, such as a thin stripe or small print. You could still do the wood treatment.

    I agree with art over the toilet. (tina marie)

    DLM2000-GW thanked HU-688559642
  • last year

    @dani_m08 - Good point about the separation the paneling would offer. I do like the B&B. For sure not doing something like bead board but we have nickel-gap in a couple of other areas and I like the idea of a horizontal nickel gap in there. Bottom of the pendants is 73" from the floor - I don't think that's abnormally high but maybe? However adjusting that would be a hornets nest and not worth it. Ceiling height is 9'. The mirror size is good for the vanity but the glass is a mess - I'd probably get new glass if I keep it.

  • last year

    @Sueb20 @HU-688559642 tina marie it needs art for sure, just haven't made that a priority, obviously! I'm hoping there is a wallpaper that will work, something with a bit of oomph, you know? Maybe the oomph would be more from color than pattern, something simple like a small print but with bold color. I REALLY don't want neutral in there.

  • last year

    If it were me, I'd want a different mirror that is a better "match" for the more contemporary sink. I'm into those backlighted mirrors lately - the ones that have the light inside the perimeter of the mirror. Some more interesting paint color and a colorful contemporary piece of art maybe. Or instead of paint it could be some kind of wallpaper with a subtle pattern that doesn't clash with the floor.

    DLM2000-GW thanked 3katz4me
  • last year

    Are you up for replacing the floor? You can absolutely copy your inspiration photo but the wall is holding things back.

    Maybe you can even find that wall paper.

    DLM2000-GW thanked eld6161
  • last year
    last modified: last year

    Your inspiration room has a rug that has nothing at all in common with the wallpaper so it's not impossible that you could find something that went with the floor without it being simple, grey, or

    white. The stripe is very large.




    DLM2000-GW thanked palimpsest
  • last year

    Tell us about the flooring. Assume it is just in the bathroom and could easily be replaced or covered with something that has less pattern and would work better with your chosen wallpaper.


    I love bold, colorful wallpaper in small bathrooms!

    The only thing holding you back is the flooring.

    DLM2000-GW thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • last year
    last modified: last year

    I agree with Dani -- even if you paint the walls and just add a chair rail, having green next to the flooring will neutralize it. I was going to say paint the mirror to lighten it, but if it needs new glass, it might be time to simply replace. I wouldn't worry about art until you decide on wallpaper - the wallpaper may be the art you need. I think wallpaper will also guide the choice on window treatment, but a lower half cafe curtain on a tension rod could be a simple option. I'd probably want to update your towel bar and TP holder -- but again, deciding after you have wallpaper and any paint decided if not in place. And half baths area a great place to have a little fun -- even in, or maybe especially in, unexpected places. You can get so much impact without spending a fortune. You might even decide to update your laundry and make it more fun. It's your home -- it is as deserving as you are, and jewel boxes come in all types and styles. Permission to have some fun granted.

    DLM2000-GW thanked lascatx
  • last year
    last modified: last year

    I really like your flooring. My first thought for wallpaper with it was a small stripe, but the large/small combo Pal posted is nice too (w/o B&B).

    I would leave the pendants. While I like the mirror, try a vertical mirror that isn't as wide. The one in inspiration photo with arched top is nice to break up the lines. Towel ring instead of bar. Add a little art.

    We did B&B on several walls in our rental cottage. Also added a simple base, and crown (below) that was lacking before remodel and would look nice in your PR as well.

    Wood plank ceiling, window/door trim and flooring is also part of the remodel, along with the furniture. I've said more than once, the What Was Kept list is much shorter than the What Is New.



    DLM2000-GW thanked Allison0704
  • last year

    Or you could look at a vinyl grasscloth or silk


    DLM2000-GW thanked palimpsest
  • last year

    Just home from Book Club and catching up with your comments -

    Floor stays, it extends into the laundry/mudroom and I still like it.

    I'll look around for a vertical mirror. I am feeling more at ease with the separation some kind of paneling offers for the floor and wallpaper - it may not be as limiting as I feared.

    Pal that paper with the houses is fabulous! No doubt its $$$ but tell me about it anyway if you know what it is.

    Allison I had not considered crown in there but that's another possibility. The baseboard is already substantial. Thought I posted a pic of the window but here it is - I love the trim and don't want to cover it.




  • last year

    I didnt mean to use neutral wallpaper (or wood treatment either). I can’t really tell the colors in your flooring, but you could definitely go with a bold or deep color. Maybe carry the color of the wainscoting to the window treatment. (tina marie)

    DLM2000-GW thanked HU-688559642
  • last year

    Since you like the window features I would look for a stained glass piece to hang in the window.

    DLM2000-GW thanked arcy_gw
  • last year

    Can you get us a better picture of the floor in good light (maybe that's easier in the laundry room). I'm not sure I'm seeing the colors correctly.

    DLM2000-GW thanked cawaps
  • last year

    I think it could work nicely. The colors in the floor seem neutral enough. If you have some kind of something solid on the bottom ... ship lap or judges paneling or whatever ... and the scale of the wall paper is sufficiently different from the floor, it'll work fine. And you can add a throw rug under the vanity area to minimize the floor even more. This is different from the color way in your inspiration, and you may not like the wild mirror I chose, but it's more to illustrate how it could work. I think what's important, especially if you go with the dark on the bottom half, is to make sure there is 'life' in the wall paper. (I didn't do the side wall as it's just not easy to do with my poor tools and techniques...but it would wrap around.) I would leave the window until you got the rest of it done. I was thinking of a fan valance, inside mount, but not sure it needs it. And yes to crown molding...always....or almost always. It adds a real finish to the room, especially with the 9' ceilings, it can take it.



    DLM2000-GW thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • last year

    Annie I think you hit on something important about 'life' in the wallpaper - having that pop of white in there does a lot and of course the fixtures are white so that carries well.

    I'll get a picture of the floor when the light is better. Also, this will be a cold weather project so nothing happening on the fast track of - ahem - some other people here ;-)

    Paper decision will drive everything else of course.

  • last year

    I happen to love the more whimsical papers... but with the floating vanity, I think it should have a modern twist to it. As long as some part of it reflects the floor color -- no matter how small -- it would work.

    I really like this one ... gives people something to look at while they're in there.

    Rifle Paper Co. Menagerie Wallpaper - Dark Blue


    If you like whimsical animals, check out Emma J Shipley designs.


    If you wanted to keep it in a more neutral color way to go with the flooring, this Thistle from Spoonflower would work well. There are so many gorgeous wallpapers at Spoonflower, be sure to check it out.



    DLM2000-GW thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • last year

    Your tastes are eclectic, which bodes well for this space. Floor colors seem muted so treat it as a neutral entity -- with a wall treatment like B&B you can certainly still do a densely printed upper wall and ceiling paper. Make it one with dark colors though. Too much white in here is going to make this project fall flat. You need dense and dark. Find the paper you love then a B&B paint.


    Don't over think the floating vanity factor. The dark wood grounds it. Note that your inspo pic mixes metals. So keep your faucet chrome and switch your towel and TP holder to black to match the iron in your lights. The mirror is size and shape perfection. Keep it. Get new glass if this is a bathroom where makeup is applied. Otherwise, keep it as it.



    DLM2000-GW thanked Kendrah
  • last year

    I thought I posted this last night but the paper is Cole and Son Mediterranea by Piero Fornasetti.

  • last year

    LOL Pal! You do have a way of elevating my taste - and price point!

    The reason I say jewel box is a bit OTT for this space is because it's just inside our back door - you know, the bathroom used when you are just walking in from errands, coming in from gardening etc. I want it to be nicely decorated for anyone to use but it does have a more 'utilitarian' purpose as well. No one will be using it for makeup application beyond a quick swipe of lipstick if that.

    This is the floor and reads accurately for color on my computer, it's made to look already aged and scuffed. This is sheet vinyl and as horrifying as that may be we live on the edge of a temperate rainforest so practicality in a mudroom comes first. I didn't want a flooring change from entry to bathroom to laundry to closet - it's cohesive.

    What about adding a finial along these lines to the bottom of the lights to amp up the Moroccan feel a bit? The lights are twisted wire with bubble glass blown into the wire cage and have a history for me, moved from our old house.


    I could see going this direction for a mirror if the wallpaper is more along the lines of a simple stripe but it also feels OTT and verging into Moroccan bizarre kitchy.


    We have horizontal nickel gap paneling on the ends of our primary bath vanities, tub surround and LR ceiling. I like the idea of using it again in the PR but with color not white. It feels a bit more modern to me than B&B - might be better with the floating vanity?



    The thistle paper would be a contender if it came in a dark colorway. I do want depth of color, but little hits of white in the design add some spark. That's what draws me to the paper Pal posted (as well as the overall them - LOVE that) and the first one Annie posted. It will be a paper hunt for sure.


  • last year

    Since you love the flooring it will dictate the rest of the design choices.


    Softer, muted colors that match those in the flooring will work best.







    DLM2000-GW thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • last year

    I am not sold on wainscoting with a contemporary floating vanity in the inspiration photo or for your bathroom. They are just conflicting styles that don't really count as eclectic in my book.

    DLM2000-GW thanked palimpsest
  • last year
    last modified: last year

    Given its location, there's 2 ways of looking at it...no it doesn't need to be fancy as only family uses it ... or ... we can be as wild as we want as only family uses it!


    I remember one laundry room where the owner put cat and dog paw prints in an angled wandering line across the walls in their laundry room...or another where they went all out black & white with lots of penguins as she had a thing for them.

    DLM2000-GW thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • last year

    Totally agree Annie - this is a no rules space but alas, I am a rule follower! There's a limit to my wild LOL! History has shown me I tire of wild very fast and then I'm at the mercy of time - can't get it changed fast enough and my tendency is to make other mistakes in a hurry. As blah as this PR is at the moment it has not bothered me a bit until practically yesterday - I can live with blah for a long time. I am slow to decide but happier with my choices that way.

    Oy, Pal. Point taken. I will be mulling this over.

  • last year

    I second Pal's point. I don't think the floating vanity and its modern chrome faucet will mix well with wainscoting. Given the location (temperate forest) and that it's near the gardens, would you consider a woodsy mural?







    DLM2000-GW thanked Feathers11
  • last year

    @ Annie Deighnaugh - One of my cats walked across a freshly painted window sill in the guest room of my last home. I was not going to sand and paint all over again, so I painted the paw prints across the window sill the same color as the walls. Everyone who stayed in that room commented on it and loved it - not knowing it was not planned.


  • last year

    I can see where it could look really nice without being fancy by keeping the color way in line with the flooring. You can still pick up the deeper colors for the bottom half. Not moroccan, but attractive.



    DLM2000-GW thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • last year

    Those are beautiful Feathers and I could possibly see using something like the first one but the others need larger, uninterrupted walls, not my dinky PR!

    Very pretty Annie, thank you - adding that possibility to the list.

  • last year

    So many papers to choose from! Here's one that looks a little more moroccan to me...



    DLM2000-GW thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • last year
    last modified: last year

    Annie the choices are indeed endless! I'm drawn to so many different styles, retro, boho, modern..... I haven't given up on some kind of paneling wall treatment either - I'm in cogitate mode ;-)

    Asked the real AI for some visualization help





  • last year
    last modified: last year

    I've not gone thru the responses, My first reaction was that I saw no reason not to use all of the elements of your inspiration room, though the sink felt too modern. Then I went back to look, and the inspo sink is also "too modern" but it looks fine. It even has mismatched faucet and hardware, and looks fine. I might change out the handles to match your pendants.

    I don't see an issue with your floor because things on a different plane read so differently, that it makes them easier to coordinate. I think the mood jibes.


    ETA - I think the wallpaper you selected on the first AI image is better than your inspiration room. It feels newer and more interesting, whereas the inspo room paper is a bit cliched, maybe?

    My vote:



    DLM2000-GW thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • last year

    I like the second ai wallpaper. It pulls color from your flooring; which to me blends it all nicely. Ive actually seen this one in fabric, not wallpaper, and really liked it. TM

    DLM2000-GW thanked HU-688559642
  • last year

    @HU-688559642 TIna when you say second paper you mean the one where the room looks really dark? I love that paper too, not sure why Mr AI decided to remove all the natural light in that one. For sure the paper is dark but that room floods with light. I may ask that to be redone and put the light back. That paper also comes in a more muted colorway that picks up floor colors - I like the darker yellow/orange color for the paneling.


    As an aside, I think of AI as being male - not sure why and now it bothers me that I'm consulting a man to help me gather information. I will change that gender ID in my mind now.

    @mtnrdredux_gw there is something about that paper... it's not stuffy in any way, feels fresh and happy. I really like every element in that image, would switch to black cabinet hardware but the chrome towel bar and TP holder repeat the faucet and not sure I would switch. I even love the mirror again and would probably work to get the frame in line with the stain on the vanity which is also in the stems of the paper.

    I only spent an hour looking at papers online and found a few I liked - if I dig into this there are bound to be more.

  • last year

    Sorry, not a fan of either AI suggestions. That first one looks like mold growing. Ewww. And there are so many gorgeous papers out there, no need to compromise. I also prefer the simpler paneling in the 1st inspo pic to the ship lap. Esp when you have a busy floor and are choosing a busy paper, the simpler the paneling/wainscoting the better.


    DLM2000-GW thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • last year

    Yes thats the one I mean. If it were my room, I would use the green/blue color on the wood but that is because those are the colors I love and use. No yellow/orange/red for me lol! You, of course, should do what you like! i like both colorways you shared. 😊 (tina marie)

    DLM2000-GW thanked HU-688559642
  • last year

    Haha that's interesting Annie - I don't see mold at all.


  • last year

    Actual green mold...



  • last year

    If I use it, and if you come visit, I'll point you to the full bath down the hall ;-)

  • last year

    Hahaha!


    DLM2000-GW thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • last year

    I looove that green wallpaper!


    I also like this one a lot.



    DLM2000-GW thanked Sueb20
  • last year

    Love the 1st AI wallpaper, too. If the wallpaper pattern doesn't fight with the floor I would vote for all wallpaper, no paneling.

    DLM2000-GW thanked lizbeth-gardener