Software
Houzz Logo Print
thomrho32

Open layout or not

last year

We are remodeling our home. The biggest change is squaring a room that has been pie shaped. I would really like some help in deciding on flow of the rooms. What should be open and closed to each other? The front room (top left) will be a library, reading room, etc perhaps with a piano. The top right will be a family room to watch TV. There is a mountain view from here. The far right room
is an office that could be a small game room /play room. The bottom room is the kitchen and dining combo. Currently the entrance to the office is through the kitchen/dining. Any thoughts or recommendations as to how open the spaces should be to each other?

Comments (9)

  • PRO
    last year

    To me it seems that many of those rooms deserve some audio privacy. I would only keep the Family Room open concept. Cannot tell from the plan whether this house is a masterpiece or something better left in the 90s. If you want to keep the shape of the Family Room and the view which I assume the room was based upon, I'd consider just moving the curved wall out a few feet.


    Looks like the kitchen needs to be simplified. Looks a bit forced.



  • PRO
    last year

    Where is the garage in this tunnel of "not so much love hallway" home? : )




  • last year

    This is a job for an architect. As Beverly said, we don't know whether this house is special or "special," but an architect is the best person to fix the issues you perceive for the lowest cost and without potentially ruining something. You are not going to be able to see the possibilities that a professional will be able to.

  • last year

    I am working with an architect but I am not sure I like his design (the second one). The house is a home in the Southwest. It is almost 6000 sq ft with in law quarters on 1.5 acres

  • last year

    Full layout but the two bedrooms to left have been turned into in-law quarters with a bedroom and kitchen/living space.

  • PRO
    last year

    We cannot advise you on esthetic because we don't know the site or the style. The architect looks to have eliminated all the 80s style from the plan which might be a very good thing.


    Not sure how you and your architect have defined the room intentions for Parlor, Living & Den What's a parlor? Where does the TV go?


    In general, with a multi million $$$ house I would not give up a dining room in favor of eating special events dinners in my kitchen.


    There is a huge amount of outdoor covered area now. If you're in AZ that's likely needed but all that overhang is going to make the interior areas adjacent dark unless those overhangs are 10+ft in height.


    To determine whether the new floor plan works, I'd suggest laying out the furnishings and see it that helps you make a decision if the new plans are successful.


    Just some comments.



  • last year

    Thank you. The parlor will be a sitting room, library, room to play chess etc. games etc. No TV there. It has a fireplace. The Den is a an office. The living room is the TV Room. Yes it is a porch at least 10ft tall. It's the southwest and common for us to have large outdoor space for living too. I mostly was trying to figure out whether to open the living room up to the kitchen and dining or leave them more closed off.

  • PRO
    last year
    last modified: last year

    If anything?

    You open space between the all purpose dining and FAMILY ( top right ) room, lose some or all of that bar. The way you're considering? Nobody will go IN the rooms as you've planned. They will all be in your kitchen

    "The top right will be a family room to watch TV. "There is a mountain view from here."

    You don't want the mountain view from a even a kitchen/dining area?!

    Please.. do NOT post screen shots,. Nobody on a computer ( read designers ) can click and blow them up

    Scan and use a jpeg.

    ( btw,,top right says............living room! People don't dig for your info midst text, , so give the spaces a name on the plan to go with the purpose of the space

    Too many rooms, no dimensions, the kitchen clearances look tight , the hall passages appear as tunnels and "sq feet" means nothing.

    Legible plan and all dimension all walls, needed

  • last year

    Thank you. This input is super helpful. If I post any more, I will do it with better scanned images.

    I didn't know if people were still opening up spaces like the kitchen to family rooms or if people were going back to more closed space.

    In years past we used the "parlor" as a formal dining and living combo. You are expressing my thoughts that the home should retain a more formal dining space and that creating the combo kitchen and dining is not the right feel. I also think I am hearing that we should open it up more. I really appreciate the help!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert