Software
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Would you recommend painting this furniture?

10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hi

Our master bedroom set is 25 years old. It is a light wood Broyhill set. Very tired of looking at it all these years, it is big and not much my style anymore, but the storage is excellent. i would love new bedroom furniture , but it simply isnt in the budget. I am contemplating painting it an off white / ivory color , changing the hardware, and possibly getting rid of the sleigh bed ( its huge so id like to scale it down in general and plus it would be a pain to paint ) and just replacing the bed with an upholstered headboard.

has anyone ever used the dixie bell paint for up-cycle projects? i was thinking of using it if i move forward with it . This pic isn’t my actual dresser- its a pic I found online of someone else ( hubby is sleeping right now so i cant photograph it ) but that is one of the pieces I have , to show as an example of the style/ and wood color it currently is . i can post my actual pics tomorrow


Comments (424)

  • 7 months ago

    yes, remote control!

  • 7 months ago

    I’m interested in your sconces… battery operated… Can you post a bit of information about them on here like the brand and where you got them? I’m in Canada so I’ll probably the same thing won’t be available, but I’d like to follow up on this.

  • 7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

    Of course liasch! happy to share. i got them on amazon and they have many different styles! some are rated better than others and the set I have had good ratimgs. I didnt expect much, but I have to say they are really pretty!!! They are a heavy brushed nickel and you honestly will never be able to tell that they aren‘t hardwired at all!

    Here are some pics of it up close, as well as the name/ pic from amazon .





    The harp on the inside is magnetic, and the white cylinder is the bulb. you just place the bulb to the magnet and it attaches firmly


    Then you just take the bulb off and charge it when needed . there is also a remote control to turn them on/ off


    I thought this style matched really nicely with the chandelier.



  • 7 months ago

    Very nice!

  • 7 months ago

    Your bedroom furniture is so similar to mine! I am thinking about what I can do to update... Love the sconces.

  • 7 months ago

    I say go for it Amanda Smith! My thinking was that no matter what I try to fix or change couldn’t make it any worse than what it is/was!


  • 7 months ago

    Thanks for the info and particularly all the bit about the bulb. We often lose the electricity here and I have back up LED candles, but these would be great in particular for when losing the electricity. I will check them out online.

  • 7 months ago

    So as I wait for the mirror to arrive to try out, I would like to focus on above the bed. I originally was going to use this starburts, but I am second guessing about having something heavy and metal above our heads. I see many people have them, so I am not sure if I am just being paranoid.



    My other thought of a safer option would be to use either ready to hang canvas art or framed prints with mats. If doing framed prints, they would have plexiglass. I could do any of these in canvas or prints. I thought they would look nice with the large art above dresser ; pulling from the gold tree branches in the art. If I do art, not sure if I should do 2 or 3 pieces above the bed.








  • 7 months ago

    I wouldnt use the starburst above the bed. Your instincts are in line with feng shui which would consider that type of art as arrows pointing at you. Not restful at all. I am not a feng shui expert, but Ive read a great deal and some of the principals are based in common sense.

    gtdj519 thanked auntthelma
  • 7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

    Some of the regulars here probably expect me to say this—and I'll say it anyway! I've been through earthquakes in Los Angeles (including the 1994 Northridge quake) and NYC, and I wouldn't hang anything at all over the head of my bed, nor indeed anywhere over my bed at all. Definitely not anything heavy, made of metal, or made of glass.

    Personally, I don't even want textiles there: It could be frightening and disorienting to be wakened by a large cloth falling over one's face—which happened to a friend of mine in the Northridge quake. At least her mosquito net broke the fall of her painting, though.

    Not everyone is plagued by my level of anxiety (lucky them). All the same, if you want to hang something decorative over or at the head of your bed, I strongly recommend something light and soft.

  • 7 months ago

    Put your Starburst mirror over by your two chairs and table never over the bed!

  • 7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

    Thanks for the suggestion happyleg,, but am putting a regular mirror over the chairs / table . Wouldn’t do starburst there, as the mirror part of it is very small. i need a regular mirror to apply makeup.

    I dont absolutely need the starburst; it was just one idea I had as an option for above the bed; but had reservarions about it to begin with being placed there.

  • 7 months ago

    I think something above the headboard is love or hate. I've never lived in earthquake area (I've been scared of them since the original Superman), but personally I feel like I could feel that hovering over.

    Although! I have contemplated hanging some things above mine! I will say that I have my bed pulled away from the wall about 6inches so hopefully if something fell it would just go straight down behind me.


    What if you changed the lamp shades on the night stands? Add some ribbon trim or cover them in fabric or paint or find some different ones to add a little something to that view.

  • PRO
    7 months ago

    Less is more. Don’t need anything over headboard. Taller lamps is a better use of funds and brings more balance to your nightstands and the visual “weight”on the other side of your room.

  • 7 months ago

    Without seeing the rest of the room it is based on my memory for this… But I don’t think you need anything over the bed.

  • 7 months ago

    Agree with above... I don't think you need anything over the bed. Let that headboard be the star.

  • 7 months ago

    Thanks everyone!

  • 7 months ago

    Mirror was on backorder, just received it

    I taped up the styrofoam insert that was peotecting the mirror to give a size visual of the actual mirror .

    Is the size okay? its a 24x36 the wall is aporox 85 inches wide. the mirror will also be flanked by 2 sconces.

    if so, which orientation is best? i think i like vertical if size if the size is okay.





  • 7 months ago

    Vertical mirror and two sconces sounds right. The size and style of the sconces is going to be key.

  • 7 months ago

    These are the sconces



  • 7 months ago

    Definitely vertical if you’re looking at sconces.

    gtdj519 thanked liasch
  • 7 months ago

    It feels a tiny bit high to me maybe because I’m wanting to tie it into the piece of furniture underneath. Maybe one of our experts can weigh in on the placement?

  • 7 months ago

    I too would lower it a couple of inches. Vertical with the sconces! :)

    gtdj519 thanked glschisler
  • 7 months ago

    Vertical and since this is your make-up mirror, stand where you usually do to test the height for function.

  • 7 months ago

    Yes, I just placed the mock up on the wall to see if the mirror looked large enough and which way to place the mirror

    it would be lower. i just taped it up there to get an overall idea

    is the size okay?

  • 7 months ago

    red ryder, if you look closely you can see the sconce on the table.

  • 7 months ago

    Sorry , the sconce pic didnt post let me try again




  • 7 months ago

    I like the sconces! I also agree, now that people mentioned it, that the mirror should be slightly lower.

  • 7 months ago

    Here is some information on mirror hanging above a chair rail

  • 7 months ago

    Whoops hit the trigger too fast

  • 6 months ago

    Have you hung the mirror and sconces?🙂

    gtdj519 thanked glschisler
  • 6 months ago

    Thanks glschisler……i have someone coming to help hang them tomorrow 😊

  • 6 months ago

    We are waiting to see the mirror and sconces. I hope you like how it looks.

  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    Hi all!!

    sorry for delay! The first oval mirror was too small, so I had to exchange it for the larger size. Here is how it turned out! I am happy with it









  • 6 months ago

    Love it!

    gtdj519 thanked Hellogardener
  • 6 months ago

    Very nice! And it looks like it functions well as your make-up mirror. Hope you and OH are enjoying the transformation. 👍

    gtdj519 thanked kcooz07
  • 6 months ago

    It looks very nice gtdj519! So happy for this room transformation!😀

    gtdj519 thanked glschisler
  • 6 months ago

    Thanks everyone!

    yes it works our this way so much better than the vanity did . It has a dual

    purpose now- makeup area and then a nice sitting area

  • 6 months ago

    That looks very nice!

  • 6 months ago

    Super job 👏👏🥂. Look how great this transformation is. You must be very happy. A lot of thinking went into this and it now just looks effortless. Shows off your furniture and no painting needed.

    gtdj519 thanked liasch
  • 6 months ago

    Thanks liasch and happyleg.

    I really appreicate all the advice and suggestions and guidance with this room. I really love how it turned out and it no longer is a room I dread going into anymore. Working with what I had turned out better than i expected. Everyone was so helpful!!!🙏

  • 6 months ago

    Well done! It looks great.

  • 6 months ago

    Love the new transformation! The art and seating area! The entire space looks so very nice. Yes, job well done!

    gtdj519 thanked Alice
  • 6 months ago

    Btw good call on the larger mirror. Stayed steady with your large art piece and purpose function of your seating area there for your make up.

    gtdj519 thanked Alice
  • 6 months ago

    Really lovely, great job!

    gtdj519 thanked gurukaram
  • 6 months ago

    You have created a wonderful space. Thanks for all your updates and for explaining the sconces. They are really great.

    gtdj519 thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    6 months ago

    You’re not crazy for wanting to repaint it. The piece itself isn’t the problem. It’s the color and scale that are dating it.

    Painting it in white or ivory can absolutely work, especially if you’re trying to lighten the room and move away from that heavy 90s wood tone. Dixie Belle is fine to use, just make sure you prep properly. Light sanding, good cleaning, and ideally a bonding primer if you want it to hold up long term. Most failures people complain about come from skipping prep, not the paint itself.

    One thing I’d push you on a bit. Before you commit, look at the proportions. That dresser with the mirror is very top heavy and bulky. Even painted, it’s still going to read large in the room. If you can remove the mirror and just keep the base, it will instantly feel more modern and easier to work with.

    Changing the hardware will help more than people expect. Go simpler, cleaner. That alone can shift the look a lot.

    Also, don’t try to “perfectly repaint furniture.” A slightly softer, lived-in finish usually looks better than a factory-smooth repaint, especially with a piece like this.

    Budget-wise, this is a smart move. You’re keeping storage, updating the look, and avoiding a full furniture replacement.

    Just be aware, this works best if the rest of the room supports it. If everything else stays heavy or outdated, the painted piece won’t carry the whole space.

    If you post your actual room later, I can help you dial in the color and hardware so it doesn’t end up looking like a DIY project.

  • 5 months ago

    Thanks amystoller. appreciate the help along the way and kind words

  • 5 months ago

    Wow what a fresh and inviting space ✨ you must be so pleased with the transformation!

    gtdj519 thanked la_la Girl