Software
Houzz Logo Print
lin_saverio

Please help. Need advice to put door for W/D closet without header?

7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago



I want to put a bifold door to hide the W/D. I need it to go only up the top of the dryer. The door needs to be at least 1/2 louver due to code. That set up is already 6ft. However there is no space on the right wall to put the piece of wood to hold the bifold and I can not install a permanent top piece of wood for header at the top of the dryer level to hold the door because from the dryer's top to the ceiling I need to place an easily removable cover to access the back. Basically I would like to have something like the idea below. Any suggestions? How do I install the bifold and a top panel? The ceiling is 8.5feet high, the opening 37", the W/D are the large 27".



Comments (20)

  • 7 months ago

    Try uploading photos again.

    Lin Saverio thanked apple_pie_order
  • 7 months ago

    There might not be room for a bifold door. How thick is the door you are considering? Double it, for the bifold, and add hinging space. You might not be able to pull the machines out for servicing, or to get alondside the machine on the hinge side for coeaning or retrieving socks. You might have to go with a regular door.

  • 7 months ago

    I used to have a bifold door and the top was built with drywall. When the technician had to repair the W/D, or fix the exhaust that goes out from the wall, then we realized the problem. Now that I'm renovating we took the top wall down. I think I could may be hold a movable plywood panel for the top, to be held with magnet, or hidden hinges. But how do I put a bifold there? Is a regular door the only solution? But even that would need a header too.


  • 7 months ago

    I know nothing about construction, but have been very good at brainstorming these kinds of tight situations with my contractors when they have been stumped. I've come up with some good workable solutions. In other words, take my suggestion with a grain of salt!


    What about some kind of pivot hinge (don't even know if that is the right word!) that sits on the floor and the ceiling instead of side hinges that are fastened to the wall. Very minimal side frame would need to be built.


    Your door would go from floor to ceiling. You would skip the upper panel to access the top of the machine because you'd have access to the top of the machine it when the door is open.


    It is possible that you'd have to take the door off the hinges to move the machines in and out for service.


    I'm not suggesting this door or product but it somewhat illustrates what I have in mind as far as a pivot on the floor and ceiling.









  • 7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

    You could consider a lightweight faux wood blind from ceiling to near-floor if the bifold door doesn't work out. In Europe, I have seen custom vertical blinds to cover a similar area. Both would have the advantage of not blocking the bathroom doorway.

  • 7 months ago

    Why aren't you just building a door that goes all the way up to the ceiling? I still don't get why there has to be any part that comes down from the ceiling to the top of the machines.


    Maybe you hang tall cabinet hinge type doors with no frame that go from floor to ceiling.






    Or perhaps just get simple and get a nice looking ceiling mounted track curtain with tie back hooks when you want them out of the way. If you paint the inside of the machine area walls nicely and choose nice fabric, it can look intentional and well done.








  • 7 months ago

    the ceiling is 8.5feet high so the door/s will be very long..


  • 7 months ago

    Instead of using hinged bifold doors, use a bifold door that works on a pivot. You'll need a top frame. Push the washer and dryer over toward the bathroom wall a bit and install the door on the left. That should give you enough clearance to open the door to access the washer and dryer. The door only needs a top track and a bracket on the bottom for it to pivot.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-36-in-x-80-in-Louver-Panel-Solid-Core-White-Wood-Interior-Closet-Bi-fold-Door-3115135/205080551

  • 7 months ago

    Get a roll-up door and mount it on the ceiling.

  • 7 months ago

    I don't see the problem with having an 8.5 ft door. You may have to get it custom made. But it will accommodate your situation well with great access to the top vent for repair.

  • PRO
    7 months ago

    Why a door at all how will it even work IMO more hassle than it is worth . The stuff sitting on the floor is much bigger issue , find a place for it and leave the W//D open for access

  • 7 months ago

    I agree with @Patricia Colwell Consulting:

    If you want us to take this seriously, add a drawing with dimensions.


    But the visual problem isn't the W/D, the problem is all the junk in front of the W/D.

  • 7 months ago

    We are renovating, the junk is there temporarily while we are finishing the bathroom closet. The W/D the opening is H 8.5f (102in) W37".; H to top of dryer 76" I do not want to put a single 102" door because I think it will be too high and special order.

  • 7 months ago

    And once this door is finished the W/D will never come out, never need servicing...You will have to remove it to build said door and well then it won't go back in...get a tension rod and an nice curtain if you have to cover it. You don' t have the space your inspo pic has.

  • 7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

    Similar to Kendrah's suggestion would be to look at it like a pantry cabinet. Hang a cabinet with doors above then slide in a pantry cabinet around the washer/dryer with doors. Ikea would be a good option.

  • 7 months ago

    Do you not want a tall custom door because of the price? If it is just price, I'd get a quote and see how much it is. It could be less than you think. A tall door will eliminate the cost of building an enclosed drywalled closet with a special panel that pops out for your repair guy to awkwardly lean through for access.


    Is this in a hallway that connects many rooms or is this in a jog off of the primary bedroom on the way to the primary bath?


    How long have you had a W/D in this location and what have you been doing so far?

  • PRO
    7 months ago

    I still think the doors will be more trouble than it is worth . You have nice W/D and easily used add a door and it becomes a PITA

  • 7 months ago

    @3onthetree, I was going to suggest pivot recessed doors as well but looking at the left side of the washer and dryer, it appears that's where the drain line is for the washer. I don't think those would work. That's why I suggested a bifold door on a pivot track.

  • 7 months ago

    Is it? I thought it was a step stool. If a door swings there, at least when open it is against a wall, so it wouldn't have to slide back beside the W/D.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner