Software
Houzz Logo Print
kimberd02

Master/primary closet size - what is a good size?

6 months ago

I designed my floorplan to accommodate a 7’6”W x 13’D master walk-in closet for me and my spouse, which only left enough space for a 7’W x 2’5”D reach-in closet for my daughter. One side of my master closet will have 40” less usable space as the bathroom door will be on that wall.

After framer came to snap lines, I realized we could take some space from my daughter’s bedroom and my closet to give her a walk-in 7x5 closet, and I would only lose 1’ of depth in the master closet (12’ depth). Framer built the walls today and I measured my master closet and it is now only 11’4” deep. I realized he didn’t shift daughter’s closet forward, he only pushed it back into the master closet. I’m going to ask if we can fix this, but is it worth the hassle and potential additional cost for another 8” of closet depth (16” of usable space counting both walls)? Will that really give me that much more?

Comments (16)

  • 6 months ago

    I feel like this is so personal. We have quite a small walk in. The only thing I would change is more long hanging. Ours is 9x5 so very small

  • 6 months ago

    Agree there is no one best for all. What I know is the more space you have the more STUFF you collect.

  • 6 months ago

    In either case of closet space, it will depend somewhat on how each gets configured for storage. If either will be custom finished to your needs then the space is maximized better. Suggest you use The Container Store website to do a layout for each space so you can see how each could be configured with hanging both long and short items, shelves, drawers and shoe storage. Their Elfa system is very user friendly to install yourself.

    Since your daughter will have a smaller closet, perhaps there's space in the bedroom for an armoire for overflow storage.

  • PRO
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    Well this is a case of pick your battles I do not think 8" will have a huge effect . If the change is really important and the cost is nil do it , otherwise leave it Asmaller well layed out and planned closet can be just as good as huge one .

  • PRO
    6 months ago

    : You'd get a lot better advice if you show the entire framing plan : ) as a jpeg that shows all the dimension, in a comment box below. : )

    Closets do not live in isolation, nor does any given space, It is all part of a whole........

  • 6 months ago

    Context is key. Post up the floor plans.

  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    This was the original floorplan, but guest and linen closets were shifted up, which resulted in me losing a foot in the master.


  • 6 months ago

    Move the bathroom door to open into the bedroom. Don't turn your closet into a "hallway".

  • PRO
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    Shhhhhhhhh!! It's a secret! : )

    Next: "I only asked about the closet!"

    Yes. realize that! We really do.

    Can we see the WHOLE floor? That would be great. Maybe even for you, but who knows since we can't see the "secret " spaces ?

  • 6 months ago

    @chispa No thank you. I do not want my bathroom door facing my bed. And my question had nothing to do with the placement of the door.

  • 6 months ago

    @JAN MOYER Not sure why it matters what the rest of the floorplan looks like. My question was simply is a getting foot or so more of closet space really worth the cost/time to have the framing adjusted.

  • 6 months ago

    You do realize that a 7x5 walk in closet gives you no more storage space than a 7 x 2.5 reach in closet.

  • 6 months ago

    As for the length - just take the 11'4" side as yours and take the small space before the bathroom door. Give your husband the other section from the bathroom door to the guest room wall - should be fine.

  • 6 months ago

    I disagree with that Jennifer. The 5’ makes a huge difference. It gives a whole other wall of options and then there is a third wall that can be hooks too

  • PRO
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    @kimberd02

    Two pros have said..

    "

    "Closets do not live in isolation, nor does any given space, It is all part of a whole........ "

    "Context is key. Post up the floor plans."

    Me. Millwork above, and all those pros on vacation, who if not otherwise occupied would say same. Do you HAVE to do this? Of course not! It's just how you get the best advice, suggestions for any space..

    Sometimes ( often actually ) small changes you may not see, can be found. It's free, and as simple as an uploaded jpeg.

  • 6 months ago

    I just remembered we have a bump in our closet because of a linemen closet in the hallway so ours is actually 7x5 more realistically. Here is a picture of our plans so you can see how we filled this space. I also have hooks on the blank wall.