Software
Houzz Logo Print
jjkoc

Calling all Yellow Rose Lovers!

I’ve planted all yellow/gold roses in my front beds and just love how cheerful everything looks!

Golden Celebration’s spring flush brings so much joy! I invite you all to share your favorite yellow roses!

Wishing everyone a Happy Easter!


Comments (65)

  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    @jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thank you!

    I did not know Teasing Georgia and Golden celebration shared a parent. I have never grown Golden celebration since many people including helpmefind report it is suceptible to blackspot, but I am going to try it. Some times roses behave so different from garden to garden.

    This is teasing georgia‘ s foliage by early june. By august she loses some foliage but it is not completly defoliated so thats acceptable to me. If I get lucky and golden celebration behaves the same I will be super pleased. I also planted Bring me sunshine.


    Vanessa B, 2025. I left her behind because it was such a twigy plant, but it is pretty maybe I will go move it this week and give it a chance.


    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked dianela7analabama
  • 6 months ago

    @dianela7analabama, I’ve read that Vanessa Bell is much more disease resistant than the other Austin roses mentioned in this thread.

    As for GC, it does spot in my garden due to a bit of marine layer I get in the morning and the cedar mulch I use to retain moisture. SoCal air is otherwise pretty dry. She is a big bush, roughly 9’ in diameter and 5’ tall, though that’s only because the branches arch downward, so that the canopy takes a natural fountain shape, which I find attractive. I wish you good luck and fun with GC of you add it to your collection!


  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    If a rose leaning toward golden blooms is to your liking, my South Africa could be your highly cherished rose as it is so to me. What a nicely shaped bush it makes, pushing a bit past 4' tall, with robust, strong canes that are held about 20-30° from the vertical.

    My two South Africas NEVER produced octopus canes during their years on their maturing journey. I wish I could say the same for: Quick Silver, Dee-Lish, Princess Charlene of Monaco, and Moonlight Romantica, all of whom still, as mature bushes, produce wild, outrageously extra long canes from time to time.

    South Africa is a well behaved bush, never lob-sided, always symetrical. Its blooms are very durable and hold their form and color no matter the weather, especially during the bloom frying summer heat.

    Moses.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z6
  • 6 months ago

    JJK, I don’t mind the fade on yellow roses so much, it’s inevitable in my climate, but yes it would be wonderful if such a thing existed. If I had room for (yet another) pink rose I would love to try Jubilee Celebration for the fragrance alone. Another Austin that’s getting scarcer to source, unfortunately, so I feel I should snap one up if I see it anyway.


    Trish, sorry to hear your rose season was not great, does that mean you have little to report on Candlelight? My new bare root plant was rather wimpy, but it’s now catching up with the others and I can’t wait to see my first bloom. I hope I am not disappointed, but I’m getting rather used to that with yellow roses!

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked NollieSpainZ9
  • 6 months ago

    Jj , thank you for sharing your Julia child! How big is it for you ? I was so tempted to get one from Armstrong but I talked myself out of it that day , yet it lingers in my mind . I kinda want to get it but I don’t know where it’ll go .

    I don’t grow many yellows. Only teasing Georgia , Vanessa bell , nye bevan and CPM , and imogen . Well also port sunlight if she counts and bring me sunshine but you know the drama with that , and I do have the poets wife lol

    So maybe I do have a few!


    vanessa is my fav of all


    Forgot abouf roald dahl


    Imogen


    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    I love all this love for yellows, which are among my favorites!

    Here is The Poet's Wife. I know it's regarded as a black spot magnet, as Nollie says, and people often comment on its lax growth habit. But it rather freely sets buds in my indoor growing environment, so I'm very grateful for that. The flowers also last pretty long for a DA.






    Nollie -- I absolutely love the look and lemony color of your Souvenir de Marcel Proust.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked windowsill_gardener
  • 6 months ago

    By far, my best yellow is the older David Austin rose, Molineux.


    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Ken Wilkinson
  • 6 months ago

    Jen, I love the coloring and bloom shape of your Imogen, I wish she was fragrant!

  • 6 months ago

    Nollie, yes, little to report on Candlelight, I'm afraid. It's still pretty small and wimpy. Hardly flowered so far, but has a few buds at the moment. I planted Hansestadt Rostock this season too. It had a reasonable Spring flush but very little since. It is healthy though and has grown quite well since we've had rain this Autumn. I love the various shades on its clusters of blooms

    lilyfinch, I stopped and looked at your photo of Imogen for quite a while. So lovely. I also particularly like your Vanessa Bell. Makes me want to smoosh my face in it!

    windowsill, your The Poet's Wife is a thing of beauty. Come take over my garden!



    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    @Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z6, I heartily agree with the excellent health of Sunbelt South Africa! I have one growing in the front bed as well. Extremely beautiful, glossy foliage, and the golden color just makes one want to smile! My plant is still young, so it’s a bit squat, but I’m looking forward to it getting bigger. The size of the flowers are noteworthy, but the low petal count makes it not as showy as other yellows mentioned in this thread. Having seen a mass planting of SA at Otto & Sons, I do think it will be very floriferous with time, perhaps on par with Julia Child.

    @Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca, I’d say you have quite a few yellows in your garden! ;) As for Julia Child’s size; she’s a pretty buxom rose. She is going to be 5’ by season’s end because of the hard prune, but last year when I didn’t take down her height that much she ended up hitting the eaves of the house. She’s a vigorous rose for me, but… chubby? She doesn’t throw long canes like GC and I think she easily takes to shaping. I dead head the spent blooms every day and she just keeps pumping out more.

    Your Vanessa Bell is so light and pretty. I remember Monty Don installed VB at his garden in Long Meadow with other pale yellows and blues. I usually prefer golds to the pale yellows, but I think I’ll delve into this palette with Chirp.

  • 5 months ago

    @windowsill_gardener, I love how you’ve captured Poet’s Wife! Her circular shape is so attractive!

  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    Healthy yellows are tough to come by!
    My healthiest and most drought tolerant two are "Carefree Sunshine" (should have earned the "yellow knock out" moniker, imho) and "Sunny Sky" (gets really wicked thorns and could be a little more floriferous, but I can't complain since anything else planted where it is tends to die when summer comes on, unless it is native to the desert.)

    I guess I should give Julia Child another shot. She had horrid BS and grew backward until she died in my climate.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked philipatx
  • 5 months ago



    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked philipatx
  • 5 months ago



    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked philipatx
  • 5 months ago

    Ruffled lemon yellow roses with citrus fragrance is my dream combination, Windowsill, which is why I was so disappointed that TPW was such a horrible black spotter for me. Yours is doing really well!


    Ken, Molineux was a recent impulse purchase of mine, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it does here.


    Trish, will update you on how my Candlelight does in due course, it has a few buds on but they are a way off opening.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked NollieSpainZ9
  • 5 months ago

    @Ken Wilkinson, thank you for sharing your Molineaux, I’ve read that this was David Austin’s most reliably-blooming and compact true-yellow rose. Has it remained consistent over time for you?

    @titian1 10b Sydney, sorry I’m not familiar with any of the roses you mentioned, but look forward to pics in the future!

    @philipatx, Carefree Sunshine, certainly seems true to its moniker! I love the color of Sunny Sky! Have you considered growing Golden Opportunity? It’s a climber that is purported to handle heat. I think if BMS and CPM disappoint in the planting area I will install them, I will try and replace them with GO.

    @NollieSpainZ9, if you love that strong lemon verbena fragrance on a yellow rose, perhaps try Golden Zest. I just got my first two flowers and they have the same intensity as Jubilee Celebration!

  • 5 months ago

    JJK Golden Zest was another failure here, sadly. Gorgeous blooms but black spot was as bad as the parent GC. I didn’t find it stood up to Summer heat as well as GC either, the blooms were smaller and crisped. The fragrance to me was reminiscent of lemon cough drops, citrussy with a medicinal backnote - maybe that is lemon verbena? I don’t think I’ve actually ever smelt it! Early blooms were delightful before it was stopped in it’s tracks by disease, sigh..



    I bet it will be a great rose for you!

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked NollieSpainZ9
  • 5 months ago

    Gorgeous photos, Nollie. I'd love to try Golden Zest here. I do enjoy my three Bernstein-Rose plants and have done since 2008. I purchased them from Hortico in Canada when they had some unusual roses unavailable in the US. Bernstein, with the unwieldy name, stays small and has blooms of about 3-3.5 inches. It has a long season of bloom, rivaling Julia Child. Diane








    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Diane Brakefield
  • 5 months ago

    @philipatx My Julia Child defoliated completely by the Summer of its first year, so out it went. I planted Sunny Sky at the beginning of this season. It is healthy but certainly very thorny+++! Mine has sent out a few long canes but so far has only had a couple of blooms. I have been blaming this on shade from a neighbour's tree, but maybe it's not much of a bloomer. I just looked up the grower's writeup of it, and they say it's a prolific bloomer, which they don't often say, so maybe it will improve. The blooms I've had have been lovely.

    @Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z6 I agree, South Africa is very healthy and makes a nice shrub. I didn't mention it before as Nollie is not a fan.

    @NollieSpainZ9, So far, Candlelight has very little blackspot, in keeping with Chippendale and Line Renaud. Many of my other (non Kordes) roses have succumbed pretty badly due to a rainy Autumn.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    @NollieSpainZ9, OMG! I hope my Golden Zest looks as amazing!

    @Diane Brakefield, your Bernstein roses look amazing and as abundant as Julia Child! The one thing I dislike about JC is how thorny she is as a floribunda. I like making bouquets and it‘s literally a pain to prep her for a mixed arrangement. :( I’d imagine Bernstein rose to be similar. Would you agree about his thorniness?

  • 5 months ago

    Not necessarily. First, I need to check the thorniness of BR. I consider Julia to be of average thorniness. Believe me, I grow many roses that are way thornier. Munstead Wood, for example. I am never bothered by thorniness and make lots of plonks with my roses. It just doesn't bother me......You may have checked already, but Bernstein-Rose is an Evers Tantau, and I'm not sure who sells it anymore. Julia does outbloom it and about every other rose I grow. And thanks about Bernstein-R. Diane


    Nothing outblooms Julia. I grow three, two are from 2006 and grafted, and one is about 10 years old and own root. Go for grafted.



    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Diane Brakefield
  • 5 months ago

    @Diane Brakefield, OMG! Love these hedges of Julia Child!

  • 5 months ago

    Those aren't hedges. They're just two big Julia plants, one across from the other.


    Here's one of them. And they were 20 years old in March. I bought and planted them as soon as they were released to the public. Grafted on Huey. I also bought at the same time: two Ebb Tide, and a Wild Blue Yonder. Since then I've added more Ebb Tide, a couple of Twilight Zone, two Love Song. I love Tom Carruth. Hi, Tom Dad, says Julia.

    In late October

    In the middle of May. She's always blooming.


    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Diane Brakefield
  • 5 months ago

    Oh, and thanks, jjk. Diane

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Diane Brakefield
  • 5 months ago

    Julia Child is one amazing rose! Hats off to Tom Carruth!

  • 5 months ago

    My three grafted Julias, planted as a trio, never grew half as large as one of yours, Diane! I stupidly went by the very modest stated size instead of checking out how big she can really grow. Entirely my own fault, but I lost one of the trio last year to a huge, over-zealous dahlia that totally subsumed it and caused all the canes to die off.


    Golden Zest would be another great rose for you too, I’m sure - I am properly jealous of you folks in dry/disease-resistant climates able to grow wonderfully prolific and clean roses!


    I have six new Tantau roses this year in yellow/apricot blend tones, three of which are bred by Hans Jürgen Evers - Barock, Mary Anne and Candlelight. Also the new Crème Brûlée, not by Evers. I swithered over Bernstein Rose but didn’t go for it in the end. Chippendale was my new Tantau star last year, but rebloom needs to improve before I can declare it a definitive winner.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked NollieSpainZ9
  • 5 months ago

    Such great yellows! My personal favorite yellow is Vallencia. It has big fat blooms that last for quite a while. I moved her a few years ago and it has taken several years for her to snap out of it.

    In her peachy mood.


    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 5 months ago


    Solero Vigarosa from Palatine. A little shortie

    The lovely Bernstein ( thanks Diane )

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 5 months ago

    LOVE this thread! So many beautiful yello roses! @Kristine LeGault 8a pnw, such a soft, pretty color on Valencia!

  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    I made a bouquet of yellow and orange tones the other day. I wish I had stuck one more branch of GC in the front, but I think it gives the feel of my SoCal garden. A mix of roses and subtropical plants, and room to add just a little more… ;)


  • 5 months ago

    Titian, Kordes roses (as you probably know) seem, in general, to be a little slow at coming into their own, and as the Kordes program seems to be placing a higher priority on health than many other breeding houses, some other assets may fall short. But having a very healthy (and Fragrant!) yellow in my climate is unheard of. (My Sunny Sky is own root.) Give yours at least 3 years before passing judgements-- you may be pleasantly surprised (though adequate sunlight no doubt would help -- Kordes can survive a lot of what is thrown at them, but to really perform, they do appreciate the same level of feeding, water, and sunlight that those less cooperative roses generally recieve. My looks too happy, so I continue right on and abuse and neglect it. 🫤)

    JJK, I am not familiar with Golden Opportunity. I will need to keep an eye out for that one! Is is healthier than its grandma, Julia Child?

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked philipatx
  • 5 months ago

    philipatx, health is a major factor for me, and as a result I have a lot of Kordes roses. And am ordering a few more! I'm glad to hear you think they will become more prolific. I have Lioness (Kordes), which for some odd reason only seems to be available in Australia and South Africa. It has beautiful yellow flowers, but grows to 10', with most of the blooms up top, It's very healthy. I don't believe the new Noack roses (Timeless in the UK, Showpiece here) are available yet in the US. Marlorena, on the UK thread suggested I try Timeless Purple/Showpiece Berry. I managed to get two a few months ago. The one that I put in the ground is already a nice shaped bush and on its third or so flush of luscious, fragrant blooms. They are the only roses in my garden that have no disease at all, and we are well into a rainy Autumn here.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • 5 months ago

    @philipatx, I think there were a couple of threads this year, or last year about Golden Opportunity, Tom Carruth’s yellow climber, purported to be highly resistant to black spot and rust, and floriferous to boot! Maybe @BenT(NorCal 9B Sunset 14) could share an update. I remember the video of his plant being super pretty!

  • 5 months ago

    jjk, you should take a look at Carruth's Double Easy Orange. He did not name it, poor man (I think J&P did), but Jackson & Perkins is the only seller. I've grown DEO, or The Orange Dude for three years now, and it's a wonderful rose. I don't think it will be as huge as the Julias, but he's creeping up there. This is a rose that's a real continuous bloomer, and blooms for months. He doesn't mind our sunny, hot and dry growing season at all. Diane







    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Diane Brakefield
  • 5 months ago

    Wow! That color is amazing! Perhaps a bit more peach than the apricot of Sunbelt South Africa. If I had a trial garden I think it would be fun to grow Julia Child, South Africa and Double Easy Orange side-by-side for disease resistance and flower count!

  • 5 months ago

    I don’t think I’ve mentioned Honey Bouquet, which I got at the same time as Golden Zest. It’s not particularly showy and does get some black spot, but nowhere near as bad as GZ. .


    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked NollieSpainZ9
  • 5 months ago

    My sister is a true lover of yellow a d her yard is so happy and vibrant. She bought herself a Golden Opportunity and a Chantilly Cream and Im excited to see how each one does. We went to the nursery on Tue and she grabbed Julia Child. We went back and forth on yellows but its tuff to beat Julia.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 5 months ago

    @NollieSpainZ9, does Honey Bouquet stay a paler yellow for you Nollie?

    @Kristine LeGault 8a pnw, how exciting! I woold love to hear more about Golden Opportunity and your sister‘s experience. I’m a sucker for patiently affording plants the time to manifest themselves. However, GO is one I’d strongly consider for replacing CPM if she really doesn’t like my yard!

  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    Another yellow bouquet. This has more of a cottage feel…


  • 5 months ago

    Honey Bouquet starts a touch darker, but otherwise remains a fairly consistent pale yellow with slightly lighter outer petals. I am more of a sucker for large blooms with a heavy petal count (like your gorgeous bouquet) but HB does have a certain quiet charm. These photos show the opening stages:



    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked NollieSpainZ9
  • 5 months ago

    @NollieSpainZ9, HB reminds me of vintage picture postcards of roses. I think HT roses at their peak moment of blossoming are quite alluring.

  • 5 months ago

    Nollie, I love Honey Bouquet! Mine tend to stay more yellow and not fade as much, but I'm in a cooler zone than you. Here are a couple of pics of mine. Two buds


    Same buds three days later




    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked susan9santabarbara
  • 5 months ago

    So pretty!!!

  • 5 months ago

    Much better colour than mine, Susan! The sun can be pretty harsh here even in Spring, which does tend to wash out roses more.

  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    I may regret this lol 😁but I am now the owner of not one but two Golden Celebrations. What a beauty!




    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked dianela7analabama
  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    @dianela7analabama, I hope they will be a joy. It will be interesting to know how big GC gets in your zone. Two would take up the footprint of my minivan, here in zone 10a!

  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    I hope they get large here too jjkOC! Unfortunately most Austins spend all their energy fighting blackspot here and I normally have to plant them in groups of two or three to get a decent size shrub. For example Diane’s Boscobell is a giant beauty but mine never gets over 3 feet tall.


    old garden 3 lichfield angels planted a couple of feet apart



    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked dianela7analabama
  • 5 months ago

    @dianela7analabama, That’s a beautiful planting of Litchfield Angel!

  • 5 months ago

    I'm late to the party. I picked ones I grow that no one has mentioned:

    Gina Lollobrigida

    Sunsprite

    Doris Day

    Sunflare

    First Impression

    Jean Giono

    Lemon Spice

    Sun Goddess


    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked susan9santabarbara
  • 5 months ago

    OMG! So many beautiful yellow roses!!! I love the color saturation! @susan9santabarbara, thank you for sharing!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz