Software
Houzz Logo Print
alma_solomon

Looking for ideas to modernize this traditional living/dining

13 years ago
I've been agonizing over what to do with the wall (that has the mirror) as well as how to update these rooms. I thought about painting the wall a dark grey or maybe a red color and replacing the curtains with floor to ceiling silks. Any other ideas to add the wow factor?

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Easiest fix is to paint the wood on your furniture white, invest in a new coffee table and update and modernize all the accents.
    Casa Recanati, Macerata - Italy · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Good idea. What color should I paint the accent wall? Should I replace the mirror or do away with it? Thanks
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I am seeing two mirrors in the same area, as there is the one over the seating area, too. Not sure either one reflects anything special??? How about trying the art on that wall instead and putting the mirror opposite the window?? Then it would reflect the outdoors. I am also not crazy about the two side pieces beside each of those larger pieces in the dining area. Can one of them go? Any art to try over the couch instead of that mirror there?
  • 13 years ago
    Id get rid of the mirror. It is too heavy looking. I like yr room. Can you move the couch that is on the bench?
  • 13 years ago
    I like the idea of moving the mirror to reflect the outdoors. I think I'll get rid of the chunky mirror (made by Amish) and replace with some art. I agree that side chairs are cramped. I may move things around a bit. thanks for some great ideas!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    To begin, if we had a million dollars, I'd start out with fresh furniture. If you're keeping everything I'd reupholster the sofa and chairs in subdued colors and patterns. Pipe the seat cushions of the sofa (and back cushions too if there are any) in a rich vivid solid (Navy, Red, Plum, Green). Paint the back wall of the Dining Area a different shade but in the same color. Hang a new chandalier (32" to 36" from the top of the table). No gilded metal but something unexpected. Maybe a drum shade, a lantern,or a modern all glass fixture.
    Replace the coffee table with an interesting low, round, table. Replace the mirror on the DR wall with a new mirror which has a shaped silhouette. Not rectangle or plain round. Look at Moroccan inspire mirrors framed in Mother of Pearl. Keep the frame light looking. Consider a single large flat weave rug from one area into the other. Lots of texture like Sisal, Wool, or Wool and Silk.
    Last, if I could I'd close the opening between the Kitchen and the DR with a swinging door so your eye doesn't travel all the way out of your entertaining space.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If your fabric has green in it like I think it does, I would definitely paint the walls green. Do NOT do an accent wall. I would do leather dining chairs to add another texture. Both mirrors & sconces need to go & replace with more contemporary artwork. The living room tables need something more streamlined but classic. Your dining room chandalier is hung way too high...the bottom should be approximately 30"-36" over the table top. I don't see drapery here...I see natural wood blinds on the lower windows only, to give the room a more casual feel. A simple flatweave area rug as Mr. Brooks recommended would be nice.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Could the love seat behind the table angle over by the stair way? Then slide the couch around to fill in a little of the area vacated by the love seat. It might be nice to have the space open between the rooms this way. Then maybe the crowded chair could slide a little, too. Gosh, I feel like we are having a dance with all the sliding!!!
  • 13 years ago
    I don't think you need an accent wall because I don't see a good solid one unpierced by windows or doors. I think you could use a new chandelier dropped lower and within 34" of the table top. Then you'd have something for a mirror to reflect, but I think the one over the sofa, hung vertically, would be better than the Amish one. We can only see two walls and the stairwell, so it is difficult to advise on the entire room. One of the side chairs might tuck nicely under the stairs on the left. I think your area rug is a bit small and that you could probably use one under the dining table too. A narrow credenza or floating buffet might be nice on the left under the art and sconces.
    Lake Road Dining Room · More Info

    Piedmont Perfect · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi Alma, You have a very traditional style mixed with more modern bold mirrors in this room. I think your idea of a soft gray, or soft muted sage green, or the right red would look nice on the wall where the brown framed mirror is. If you go with the red, you might want to swap the mirrors and put the gray framed mirror on the red wall.

    I would take everything off the wall to the left by the stair case as it just feels cluttered and distracting. Perhaps removing the curtains and installing a transparent blind on the lower half of the window that fits in the window frame would help. (I can't tell from your photos if you already have a blind like this in those windows.)

    I would live with the room like this for a couple weeks to see if you like it and/or if it grows on you, before adding anything to either of these walls/window areas, as this will open up this half of the room and allow the newly painted wall to be the focus.

    After you finished the dinning end of the room, you might try removing the big pillows from couches to see how it looks without them, as sometimes less is more and may better balance the room.

    You have great ideas Alma! Have Fun! Enjoy your new room!