Software
Houzz Logo Print
sprn2871

Half Bath - help with mirror size/shape

7 days ago

We are almost done with our build and this is my last project. It is a small half bath. I need a mirror. I have seen many pros comment that it helps so much to have pics so I have them. The ceilings are 10 feet. The vanity is wall to wall and is 40" wall to wall and I forgot to measure the height, sorry - maybe 35" to counter. Can I do a 36" x 36" round (my favorite mirror)with 10 foot ceilings or is it better to do rectangle type and go taller like 40" or 42". I am doing a 12" pull on each drawer and would prefer to buy the mirror and pulls from same place so they match. I am mixing metals. All the plumbing is polished nickel and the light is gold (I had to have the light, I loved it). The gold is minimal but I want to use it for mirror and pulls. I attached a bunch of photos. MAIN questions is how tall with that 10ft ceiling. ALSO, I cannot find a 30" x 48" from a place that has pulls that are in same metal so I honeslty hope I dont' need a 48" tall one :( Thanks for any help.








Comments (15)

  • 7 days ago

    For me, if you have high ceilings, you don't want squat mirrors.

    You can always have a custom sized mirror made at a local Frame store.


    I have high ceilings and my bathroom mirrors are 48" - 54" high.


    The sconce adds height above this one.

    Rosedale · More Info



    Tunbridge Residence · More Info



    Bathroom · More Info


    I have this mirror over a small Chinese console in my family room!

    Susan Harter Muralpapers Room Shots · More Info



    Atlanta Estate Home · More Info


    S. Goodman thanked chispa
  • 7 days ago

    Ok, yes that makes sense and the pictures help show that. Thank you! I didn't know that about a frame shop - great idea.

  • PRO
    7 days ago

    My best suggestion is to get cardboard, cut to the shapes of the mirrors you are considering and temporarily tape them to the wall above the vanity. This should give you an idea of which shapes and sizes would work best for your powder room.

    S. Goodman thanked Norwood Architects
  • 7 days ago

    Thank you. and i am seeing that i agree with the vertical options.

  • 7 days ago

    @Norwood Architects, I am the queen of full size mock-ups! I even did some to get the right size for some outdoor lanai pendants. My builder saw that one, as I had pulled one of their ladders and had it hanging from the exposed beams in the unfinished ceiling. He took a photo ... no doubt to show new clients he had already dealt with involved and detail oriented clients! LOL


    Full scale mirror mock-up during a bathroom remodel in my previous house


    S. Goodman thanked chispa
  • 7 days ago

    I love it! I am going to do this over the weekend. I love that shape mirror too. Can anyone comment on the width for me? Finding a 48" high mirror that is 30"+ is hard. How slim can I go with a 40" width to work with?

  • 6 days ago

    Where is the light hanging and how large is it? I need to know that to weigh in on a mirror.

    S. Goodman thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • 6 days ago

    It's in the last picture (very top you can see half of it). It is a semi flush mount with can lighting. No sconces. So the mirror can take up a large space on that wall.

  • 6 days ago

    Sorry, missed that it was ceiling mount. I would go with one of the taller mirrors then.

    S. Goodman thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • 6 days ago

    It's ok. I couldn't get far enough back to make the photo work with the entire room. Yes, I did the cut out method and it really helped. I liked the 48" size one. Just hard to find 48" x 32".

  • 6 days ago

    I don't see can lights, just the ceiling fixture in the first photo? Or is that the can light just behind the ceiling fixture in your last photo? Odd setup to me but it could just be the angle.

    I would go with a 36" round mirror set at a height where you can actually see yourself in it. Mockup seems to place it too low. And with that great wallpaper and the shape of the vanity I'd go very plain with the mirror. Check out a local glass company to have them cut a 36" circle, no edging or frame just plain mirror glass.

    S. Goodman thanked Kate Cowers
  • 6 days ago

    A frame shop OR glass/shower shop can make you a custom sized mirror.

    S. Goodman thanked chispa
  • 5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

    I asked chatgpt and it came with lots of choices in that size - everything from $200 at home depot to $6k one of a kind antiques - I think there are options

    don’t forget about just buying the frame and fitting it with a mirror - for my powder room I found the most perfect vintage/crackled painted frame in the right size (for $50) and had the mirror cut to fit - one of a kind and very economical


    S. Goodman thanked la_la Girl
  • 5 days ago

    I love the idea of making my own mirror and am probably going to pursue that - I haven't beena .big user of ChatGPT and forget about that. Good suggestions. Thank you for commenting.

    Susan