Software
Houzz Logo Print
jackie0128

I need to remove this hedge!!!

12 years ago
I really want to remove this hedge blocking the front door. Any suggestions on what to do in its place???

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    I'd remove it and the two big shrubs flanking the window and the one by the garage. At the appropriate time I'd move the flowering shrubs - one at either end of the house, replacing them with dwarf flowering varieties of azalea or other plant that won't overtake the window. Is there a walk behind the hedge or a flower bed at the front porch? It may be that you don't need to do any planting there, but just upgrade the entry. Pull it out, photo again with a closeup of the entire porch and we'll see.
    jackie0128 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    I'm assuming it's along a walkway? You might plant a flower bed along the walkway for color. Maybe some nicely planted urns at each end of the bed.
    jackie0128 thanked chloebud
  • 12 years ago
    I agree....you definitely should add some color, either in the form of a flower bed, or perhaps even painting your front door....what about both!
    jackie0128 thanked Kelsey Warren
  • 12 years ago
    Just thinking...a window box might be pretty under that large front window. We just sold a house that had a similar window with a long window box. I had the box filled with ivy geranium ("Blizzard" variety) which bloom all year long here in SoCal. There was a boxwood hedge across the front that we kept trimmed to just below the window box.
    jackie0128 thanked chloebud
  • 12 years ago
    We don't know your planting zone or the amount of sun area gets but I would suggest low growing plants where the hedge is.

    If you get snow, you can get plant annuals that would die out and then you don't have to worry about shoveling snow on top of plants there.
    jackie0128 thanked Judy M
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Taking out your hedge is a great idea. I love the azaleas in front of the large picture window. I would let the shrubs on either side of it grow a bit more and not trim them into a ball. Thin as needed but sculpt them into more of a freeform. Same with the shrub on the other side of the garage.
    How about begonias, a creeping rose, hosta or fringe flower, all stay low? Another tree in the front yard about 6' back from the curb lined up with your porch post would look nice.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You sound like someone that enjoys gardening! You didn't ask but don't be upset with me for suggesting shutters on the little window next to the front door, a piece of art (iron or another metal?) on the other side, painting your garage doors the same color as the house and a bench and potted plants on the newly exposed porch. I can't see any lighting on the porch, must be cans, but your address on top is a great touch. Very elegant. Will you post again after the hedge is out. I'd love to see it! Thanks.
    jackie0128 thanked Maguire
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you for all the great advice!! The hedge was removed last summer and grass planted. I will update with a photo as soon as the weather breaks. I can't wait to get started on the other ideas. Although I have another question - if I do not want to remove all of the shrubs, do you think they can all be cut back significantly, including the two red-berry type trees on both sides of the rhododendron, to encourage new growth? I don't want to go cutting everything back if it kills the tree and ends up looking worse than it does now. I would love to remove all of the shrubbery and get simple, small boxwood-type shrubs but not sure the cost of something like that!

  • 11 years ago
    Research the term "cutting back hard" for shrubs. It allows you to bring an overgrown shrub back to a moderate size. The shrub might look bare and odd at first, but once growth begins it will come back.

    This technique is different from a short trim and must be done at the ideal time of year, usually early spring. Research that based on your growing zone.

    Rhododendrons are not great as foundation plants as they really want to grow taller than most foundation plants should be (unless you can find a dwarf rhodie).
    jackie0128 thanked Judy M
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Congrats on removing the hedge. Looking forward to seeing updated pictures!

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you Judy M. I will do that. You have all been a huge help! Thank you!