Software
Houzz Logo Print
lulusriverhome

14 years ago
What do I do with this kitchen in our new home? The countertops are awful pink laminate, and the appliances are white and don't match the off-white cabinets. The lamp overhead is a little old-fashioned, too. I think I'll keep the warm Mexican tile backsplash, but need to decide on paints, countertops, a light, and whether to replace the white appliances, which are, sadly, brand new. I also am considering an island, or more affordably, a high dining table for the middle of the room. Your advice is warmly appreciated!

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Wow you do have a doozy/challenge on your hands. I'm guessing that your range is on the perpendicular wall to the right of the your refrig/pantry set up? If so, you mentioned that you may add an island. It looks like that range area may be in the way of the walkway so could you remove it and place the range in your island? And do you really need that bar top under that window to the left of your pantry/refrig area? All that seems to do is accentuate the PINK countertops. I would replace the tops and stop the counter at the window wall. The cabinet hardware is a bit invisible with all the white cabinets, white paint, white trim. How about replacing it with a satin nickel and replace the sink and faucet with a matching metal finish as well to break up the white. I can't tell if you have a microwave in the kitchen but if not, maybe add a spacesaving microwave to line up with the bottom of the wall cabinets at the end of that wall cabinet run to the far right of your sink wall. You'd obviously have to modify that wall cabinet but it would be worth it not to loose counter space. Hope this helps to get you started. PS...of course I'd lose the hanging light fixture too ;) Happy remodeling.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for your response, Tamelyn. Very good ideas there! So, when facing the windows in the second picture, the range is on the left wall. Behind you there's a wall of cabinets. At first I wanted an island but realized that I already have a ton of counter space. I'm hesitant to remove that bar top because it provides a space to sit and look out the window at our river (I'm going to put chairs there).
  • 14 years ago
    PS: here is the wall of cabinets (and more counter space). Definitely gotta get a better countertop there! We're thinking either marble (which is beautiful but expensive and stains easily), recycled glass (maybe a little too busy?), concrete stained to match the warm floor, or some kind of cultured marble.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi lulusriverhome, whatever you choose for the countertop, I would suggest something with a brownish undertone to match the flooring and the copper hood fan .... you can even try painting the door knobs a grey color first to make it stand out more.
  • 14 years ago
    Oh wow, that's very creative...thank you for the suggestion and the picture!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Here are my tips:
    1. Change out the backsplash including the decorative bit behind the stove -- doesn't work with the cabinet color or kitchen style.
    2. You can change to stainless appliances and don't have to do it all at once if the budget doesn't allow. I would start with the stove and lose the back controls that stick up.
    3. Adding an island instead of just a dining table will give you a place where you can work on food prep while guests hang out. I would put a microwave drawer in it. Use a different color of cabinetry for a feeling of furniture.
    4. I would go with quartz countertops. You could choose to use marble on the island and quartz the rest of the way around so you have the marble you love without the maintenance issue all the way around.
    5. Change out the flooring to wood, or perhaps a tile that looks like wood. Much warmer.
    6. Replace that light fixture with pendants above the island.
    7. Lose the weird little bridge counter top. Either enjoy the view of the river from the island -- or after removing that little counter, also take out the base cabinet to the right of the window. Set up a bistro table and chairs as a little breakfast nook type of area. But it would look better if you turned the corner with cabinetry and ran that under the window.
  • 14 years ago
    Wow, what excellent ideas! Thank you so much!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Keep the white appliances, backsplash and sink. Buy wrought iron knobs, if they have a large choice, buy several types at Home Depot to test and take back the ones that you do not like as well. Once you find knobs you like, maybe you can trace them down and buy them even less expensive than HD on the internet.
    Kitchen After Remodel · More Info


    Buy this granite or something similar that will please you and look good with the backsplash:
    Kitchen After Remodel · More Info


    Here's another view, really nice lamps and stools. I like counters bare, I don't like accessories let the knobs, cabinets, granite and backsplash be the shining stars. If counters are bare it makes cleaning easier, too. I'd have a white Microwave on the counter near the stove.
    Kitchen After Remodel · More Info


    More photos:
    Kitchen After Remodel · More Info


    More photos: http://curbappealrenovations.com/kgallery14.html
    More photos: http://curbappealrenovations.com/kgallery15.html

    This kitchen is similar, but I would have no accessories:
    Kim Nichols · More Info


    Similar granite, very nice:
    Kim Nichols · More Info


    I'd have black towels over the stove handle. I like the idea of stools by the window with a view, I'd have that counter in the granite, too, I wouldn't take it out.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I say leave the countertop. Those weird counters get a ton of use especially if there is a beautiful view. I think your ideas for countertops are fabulous...a beautiful marble or stained concrete would do wonders for the kitchen. I would try to find a reclaimed piece for an island that has storage and seating...buy stools for the counter eating area and the island and everything else will start to flow.

    I would stick with the appliances until you can afford to replace them. The counter is a much larger eyesore. Frequent the clearance aisles of Home Depot and Lowes for a few weeks and you should be able to find hardware and a light fixture or two for a great price. Definitely splurge on the countertops and find a great island off craigslist.

    BTW...I love the way the cabinetry flows with the windows...very very pretty...and those SKYLIGHTS - lovely!
  • 14 years ago
    Wow you guys are great! This is very helpful feedback and very much appreciated. I'm taking furious notes. :)