Software
Houzz Logo Print
zoomzoom

Manmade "stone" as a kitchen backsplash ?? stains??

12 years ago
Eldorado Stone Somerset Shadow Rock · More Info


We are about to begin construction on on mountain house. This "cultured" stone by Eldorado will be used on the exterior and also the interior. I am planning on using this as a kitchen backsplash behind the cooktop. (small area) My husband is worried about grease/cooking splatters and the issue of the stone staining. I've asked a rep about it and he wasn't real concerned. He mentioned we might try too seal it. But would that be really necessary ? Any thoughts on this?? thanks!!

Comments (35)

  • 12 years ago
    We had man made "stone" behind a stove in a home not too long ago. Since we weren't first owners, don't know if it was sealed or not, but I could never get grease spatters off that backsplash.
    zoomzoom thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Sealing the product would absolutely help against staining. The frequency of the sealing will be dictated by the porosity of the product. Without all the information I would suggest doing it every 3 months. You must be aware that nooks and crannies behind a cooktop will always be a maintenance issue.
    zoomzoom thanked Beco Kitchens and Baths
  • 12 years ago
    No, no, no, and no as far as backsplash is concerned. What a beast to clean! Looks quite nice but not in a kitchen. :)
    zoomzoom thanked unwantedadvice
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Another “no”.
    zoomzoom thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Don't go there!
    zoomzoom thanked FINNE Architects
  • 12 years ago
    Imagine a spaghetti sauce accident. How would you clean that? I too wanted something natural till I realized the issues of dusting etc would be crazy
    zoomzoom thanked Cheryl Makaro
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If you are set on the rock.. I would reverse it.. some sort of metal behind the cook top & do the rest rock just bury the cabinets into it.

    What you will want to do.. is get the measurement of how deep this material is. make your lower cabinets and upper cabinets that much more deeper to make up for counter top depth being lost. Custom all the way.. Make sure you have under cabinet lighting.. the texture will eat up the light and make it look like a cave.

    a tile that looks like your rock would be preferable.. However.. this rock would be killer at a bar with buried finish wood interior box cabinets & shelves.

    I would do a solid quartz counter top.. Or at least a solid quartz on the perimeter where the rock splash will be.. anything with pattern might fight with the rock. For the counter top edge you can stack the quartz and do a chiseled edge.. (I have seen a feather mitered edge that was chiseled (so that's out there if you can find someone to do it).

    I work with a designer who is amazing..
    If rustic texture is your thing, and you want someone who thinks outside of the box .. check this out:

    http://www.mhrinteriors.com/

    This is some of her work..
    This bathroom wall tile is actually bark cut into tiles.. LOVE IT!!

    Tuhaye L · More Info


    Tuhaye L · More Info


    ..
    zoomzoom thanked Adrianne
  • 12 years ago
    in MHR's design she used a tile that mimics the rock masonry.
    Here is a split face tile:

    Waukesha Lower Level · More Info
    zoomzoom thanked Adrianne
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Here's your rock under cabinetry.
    4573 AF · More Info

    and another
    Bhatia · More Info
    zoomzoom thanked Adrianne
  • 12 years ago
    All of the ideas presented on this thread look lovely....however, (and this is a big one)...they all look like they require an inordinate amount of time to clean. If you have a daily or twice weekly cleaner...go,for what you love. If you have to clean yourself, ask this question....do I want to spend my time enjoying the space or cleaning it?
    zoomzoom thanked Laurie Tillett
  • 12 years ago
    Adrianne, our architect has made allowances for the depth of the rock. The house will be mountain rustic modern. I am stuck on using this behind the cooktop. I know I will have cleaning issues - :-) The house won't be used that often, so hoping the grime will be kept to a minimum. And thanks for the link!
  • 12 years ago
    post pictures.. I would suggest puck lights in the hood and you have at least a 36" cook top.. Narrow would be bad considering the scale of the rock.
    Here is an example of a hood with puck lights.
    Oakley Home Builders · More Info

    Kitchens by Stadler Custom Homes · More Info
    zoomzoom thanked Adrianne
  • 12 years ago
    yes, we are using a 36" cooktop.
  • 12 years ago
    Buy your own sample of rock. Take a jar of spaghetti sauce and splatter it on the rock. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Clean. Repeat with olive oil. Then decide.
    zoomzoom thanked apple_pie_order
  • 12 years ago
    Ha! I hadn't thought of that. And I do have a sample :-)
  • 12 years ago
    it just would never seem absolutely clean
  • 12 years ago
    Make sure you own the sample before you throw olive oil and spaghetti sauce at it. You can't return it to the shop after that!
  • 12 years ago
    I do :-)
  • 12 years ago
    Adrianne, those examples of the rock used in the kitchen look so nice, it is an attractive alternative. And your suggestion of adding the puck lights is a great idea. zoomzoom, you would be able to see the spills and splatters better! :))
    zoomzoom thanked unwantedadvice
  • 12 years ago
    Stone is stone, it comes from outside the elements, etc. should not be a problem in a kitchen. If something splashed on it, wipe it off. No sealing required.
    zoomzoom thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 12 years ago
    travis interiors - thanks for hanging in there with me! I am dead set on using the stone! Adrianne, we have undercounter lighting on th 2 cabs that flank the cooktop, but I will have to revisit the hood.exhaust feature to see if pucks would work. Thanks for reminding me to check on that.
  • 12 years ago
    but travisinteriors, this is "cultured" stone....
  • 12 years ago
    Stone is porous. Absorbs stuff. Doesn't matter if it's natural. That's doesn't mean it won't stain , have cracks and crevasses open to dust and grease. I think it's beautiful you just have to go in knowing it's going to be more work to clean and care for.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    steam cleaner.. if it can get junk out of porous travertine.... and if its a huge deal.. the once a year you cook marinara put a big cookie sheet behind the cook top... Problem solved.. I'm excited for ya.
    zoomzoom thanked Adrianne
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Good luck cleaning the back splash, I don't think it is even healthy
  • 12 years ago
    Do you fry chicken, eggplant, potatoes? The grease attracts dust. Don't use it
  • 12 years ago
    caterfan, no we don't cook like that.
  • 12 years ago
    Nope! But how about the mosaic of pebbles I see at HD and Lowes? More polished but still natural looking. I think you could keep it cleaner.
  • 12 years ago
    We used a Afiican slate subway tile as a kitchen backsplash and it was gorgeous. We coated it and it was remotely easy to clean but the stove was on an island so i can't speak to the grease splashing up. Check out the african slate - it may work.
    zoomzoom thanked meredithalove
  • 12 years ago
    I am an Architect and do a variety of different projects. I do commercial work where there are kitchens and the Health Department requires that we use non-porous materials for the backsplash as well as all surfaces in the general area. Including the ceiling. You do not want to have any surfaces that can absorb grease, dust or debris and collection where bacteria can form and grow. This is why you always use high gloss paints on the kitchen walls as they can be washed relatively easily.
    zoomzoom thanked Chad Conrad
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would use something sleek for a contrasting texture. Too much stone takes the attention and surprise away from the other areas you are using it.
    zoomzoom thanked jo_mcvicker
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    mean people suck
    zoomzoom thanked jo_mcvicker
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The look you are going after would look good and we've done it for homeowners, warning them up front of the negatives mentioned above. I am with jo_mcvicker on using something sleek. Too much of a good thing... well you know the rest.
    zoomzoom thanked Stonecroft Homes
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would try to stick with a tile of metal!!!! Stone looks great but lots of Maintenance and cooking and stone don't go well together!!!
    zoomzoom thanked Jason Ruebl