Software
Houzz Logo Print
hhmason

Zinc or copper?

12 years ago
For top of kitchen island which product holds up best? Both living surfaces that I know will change.

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    I personally would use zinc although I wonder if it makes a difference as to color in your kitchen. Both will "age" if nothing but wiping up is done to them. Check on-line though, as this will help you make a more educated choice. And price would be a consideration, too.
    hhmason thanked unwantedadvice
  • 12 years ago
    Found a nice article on zinc.
  • 12 years ago
    Copper has natural antimicrobial properties. Here's an ideabook about using copper for a countertop. Follow the link under the picture:
    Some — but not all — copper alloys have natural antimicrobial properties.
  • 12 years ago
    Carolins I did not see a picture or a link relating to copper as island top. Thanks.
  • 12 years ago
    @carolins, thanks for that article. I did not know copper was anti microbial! And I live in a state(USA) where copper was once greatly mined.
  • 12 years ago
    Oops! Totally didn't read second article. Those countertops are gorgeous.
  • 12 years ago
    I didn't know it, until someone on Houzz posted a renovated kitchen with a copper countertop. I thought it was beautiful, so did a tiny bit of research.
  • 12 years ago
    We have a lot of copper pieces in our kitchen and it looks gorgeous against our cobalt blue walls.
  • 12 years ago
    Sounds so pretty, chookchook! Nice to have something different going on in ones decorating scheme.
  • 12 years ago
    I want to the Houzz copper sinks idea book and loved it. Thank you unwantedadvice, we are certainly different in our house, but that blue will be hot in2014. I watered it down and got a lovely translucent colour but had to use it full strength in work areas, for wear.
  • 12 years ago
    @chookchook2, I am confused by your comment. Why will the blue be hot in 2014? And did you water down the blue color? I can be a bit dense on some things, so sorry!
  • 12 years ago
    That blue will be very fashionable in 2014. You are certainly not dense, I have read some of your good advice. I picked the colour a few years ago for a ship theme I had planned. Yes I did a translucent effect on two areas that did not have to be hard wearing. Paint is great, you can always paint over it!
  • 12 years ago
    chookchook, I thought perhaps that was what you meant about it being fashionable what wasn't sure. Well then you are ahead of an upcoming trend!