Software
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_robinson

Help! I want my living room to feel warmer.

12 years ago
So I have been stuck on this room for a while and gave up for a minute. I want it to feel warmer and like "home". I am thinking I should repaint the wall. I liked the color Ashley Gray by Benjamin Moore. And hang some teal curtain panels. I found some at Pier one. See pictures attached and tell me what you think. Also thinking I need to change out the sofa pillows. Any advice is welcome.

Comments (73)

  • 12 years ago
    You could leave accent on dining wall for interest.
  • 12 years ago
    If renting don't spend much. Window covers do not need to be expensive. Good deals on line. But, furn goes where you go. So buy what you feel comfortable with.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like the room. You could use the grey color on all the other walls. You know when it will look warm? When your family and friends are there. : ) You are good, don't doubt yourself. I would put a throw. I just like to have one to snuggle. Good luck. I almost forgot if you have any kids or clumsy people leave that picture right where it is. : ) I speak from experience. LOL
  • 12 years ago
    Mix up pillows various size and shape. Art and pillows should not match.
  • 12 years ago
    I actually like the accent wall better behind the sofa than the one in the dinning room because the dinning room chairs being blue teal also (??) and the curtains you want are also teal…too much, too matchy. If your'e going to paint any wall it should be the dinning room accent wall and add chair rail all around the dinning room and introduce wall paper above it if possible. I think your art and mirror should be lowered a few inches. You def. need to add texture to the room because it is too matchy-matchy. Remove one of the side tables and place a garden seat instead; or change out the matching coffee table for an ottoman instead. Or, you could also go with a rattan or leather trunk. I like the idea of rattan since the colors you've chosen are very tropical and fun. I agree with the person who suggested adding "clutter" a few more accessories are needed, maybe a coffee table book. You def. need a comfy throw and the curtains too. It's weird but your space is so pretty but as you agree, it just needs some warmth. I think textures and layers will give it that warmth.
  • 12 years ago
    One more thing; a nice plant brings life to a room. If you don't have a green thumb then a nice big vase with branches or dried flowers in that corner by the window would look nice.
  • 12 years ago
    @travisinteriors: what do you mean when you say "add a bamboo shade" can you show me a picture of what you are talking about? Thank you!
  • 12 years ago
    I like the blue wall. Notice how your sofa pops in contrast; you want the same for the other one, as the white wall swallows it whole. I recommend a darker tan wall, leaning toward brown. The glass in the coffee table is what's lending to an open and airy feeling. Consider adding a table runner atop it in bronze and add brown accents like a few books or wooden bowl. Also, the metallic finish on the lamps adds more light to your space-especially with their white shades. You can switch out the shades or replace them with earthy-color lamps, as, while they are lovely, they are quite modern. You can also spray paint the lamp bases a bronze color. There's some really high-tech spray paints these days. I would definitely go the direction of blue and brown for warmth. You're almost there!
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry can't upload from my phone for some reason. I'm sure some one else can. Just put a bamboo shade from Home Depot, or Lowes. The length of window. They hook onto nails. Then add panels in yr color to ends, extend rod pass window on top by 8-10" to fill out wall more. Get a woven type fabric, make them full.
  • 12 years ago
    I like your room. and I'm usually not a fan of accent walls. but I like yours. I wouldn't add teal drapes though. You have enough color going on. I would do something more neutral and more books and plants. otherwise I think it looks great!
  • 12 years ago
    second thought. If you do want a change I think painting the entire room in a warm grey is also a good idea. then add a teal pattern drape.
  • 12 years ago
    thanks everyone! So based on all the comments I am hearing two options:

    option 1: leave the teal accent wall and add warmth with throw blanket, curtains, and "clutter". Bring the artwork down to 6-10 inchs above the sofa. change the coffee table to an ottoman ( i have one already that may work..)

    option 2: go with my mock-up plan.. change the walls to Benjamin Moore Ashley Gray (taupe gray color). The teal curtains or maybe a pattern curtain. A dark color throw blanket brown or dark gray, get rid of the dining room accent wall. Which I plan to do either way. and add some clutter and plants.

    Notes: changing the end tables out right now is not an option as these were just purchased and I husband is not going to let me buy more but maybe getting rid of one of them all together for a floor lamp is an option. Would this be a nice addition?

    can someone suggest some curtains that would coordinate with the teal wall? Also someone said even with the gray wall don't do the plan teal curtains. COuld you post pics of some ideas of curtains that would work.

    thank you
  • 12 years ago
    I wouldn't use family photos on the wall; keep the artwork. Photos aren't big enough for a wall expanse unless you group them and then you'll have a busy looking wall--not at all comfy. Often, you'll see family photos get lost by a huge 'wave o' wall' and it's kinda hillbilly. Keep with comparably sized wall art. If you can download phone apps, I recommend Hobby Lobby where you just present the coupon on your phone at the register. They've a ton of decorative pieces and you'll get 40% off with a coupon.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I wish every room I had to work on looked as good as this one - it's more like most people's "after." I don't dislike anything - but it does seem a little regimented and perhaps too sleek, which can make a space feel like a model home. Throw in some hand-made, hand-painted or rustic objects to shake it up. Perhaps with distressed finish or reclaimed wood? A pillow that's woven wool? A funky find from a vintage shop can add personality. Etsy has lots of all the above. You have a lot of symmetry and while I love balance, sometimes you need to 'throw it off' slightly with a grouping of objects in an odd number. From a color standpoint, if a room ever feels too cool (as turquoise/gray/silver combos can), just add "fire." Metallic gold, yellow, red, orange, or fuchsia - even just a smidge - will break up all the icy tones.
  • 12 years ago
    these are bamboo shades
    Premium Bamboo Shades · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Print panels would work chevron or Ikat, all good. Ottoman is good. Just mix it up more, you will find right mix.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Brenda. I like your "option 1" above. I like your area rug but wish it were a bit bigger. Nicely done! It's pretty and cozy now. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely paint the accent wall the same color as the other walls. While usually a big fan of color I'd stay away from the bright teal drapes and don't do the metal grommets.
  • 12 years ago
    It has pretty bones but needs to be personalized. If you want homey, I don't think that artwork is right. "Homey" to me, means things like family photographs, a family heirloom, an old antique, your favorite books, comfy throws, an eclectic mix of pillows, etc.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm sure others have mentioned to lower the painting over the sofa so that there's just 5 or 6 inches of space between sofa back and art.
  • 12 years ago
    thanks everyone about the family photos. I may consider that for the hall way area but Unfortunately I DO NOT like family photo's hung on my walls in the main living space. I prefer smaller picture frames on the tables or some type of shelves. Thanks for the tip though.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi there, You could definitely bring some warmth to your space with some texture through throws and window treatments. Nothing over the top, just some plush throw blankets, and textured drapery panels.

    At Pure Home, we curate combinations of style and function for a lot of people facing the same fine tuning challenges in their spaces – I put a few examples together for you below to give you some ideas. Let us know what you think, and have fun collaborating on your space!

    Yours In Houzzing,

    Andie P., ASID
    Purehome.com

    Woven Workz Betsy Sky Throw Blanket · More Info


    Woven Workz Michelle Willow Throw Blanket · More Info


    Elisabeth Michael Ikat Steel Drapery Panel · More Info


    Emdee International Diem Loft Ombre Grey Linen Drapery Panel · More Info


    Living room · More Info


    Hope Valley Refined · More Info
    Brenda Robinson thanked purehome
  • 12 years ago
    http://www.westelm.com/products/cozy-throw-g389/?pkey=climited-time-throws-sale& I like these throw blankets. thinking the dark gray one. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Brenda, in response to your last questions - I like the teal accent wall. And I'm not sure I mind the solid teal panels you're considering. But before you make that decision, I'd see what happens with your rug and throw pillows. If those items incorporate plenty of pattern, a solid drape may fly. If not, you'd probably want a printed drape. If all else fails, you can always have drapery panels made from fabric of your choice, giving you more options. On the Ashley Taupe, not sure I'm feeling that. If I remember correctly, that color has really purple undertones.
  • 12 years ago
    I saw this in the photo section for houzz and I REALLY love this apartment. It feels warm and homey. Just an idea of what I am looking for.
  • 12 years ago
    This is also the paint color I was looking for if anybody knows what it is.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the West Elm throw. I would consider something more organic looking for the drapes as opposed to the West Elm option you posted. I think someone above suggested ikat. I personally really like that fabric. Here is one from etsy - just happened to be the first that came up - with some yellow. To me this layered over the bamboo/woven shade would go a long way in making things more homey.
    I am still with option 1 as well.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/124762080/ready-to-ship-84-long-x-50-wide-pair-of?ref=market
  • 12 years ago
    Brenda, the only major differences in your inspiration board and this Houzz pic are the curtains and wall color.
  • 12 years ago
    Brenda if you don't mind me asking where did you get your couches? They look so comfy!
  • 12 years ago
    thanks edithsmom. I guess the houzz pics are just tied together better. I am leaning more towards my inspiration board and maybe changing out the curtains for an ikat print like everyone suggested. I definitely want the wall color to be something other than the blue. so trying to find a nice taupe/gray color.
  • 12 years ago
    mikodoasis: the couches are from roomstogo the cindy crawford collection.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Brenda, These aren't quite ikat but are close. They're the Ironwork Flocked curtain - color Ochre - from West Elm. Definitely would look good with your rug. Of course, for the idea in your mockup of going more neutral on your walls.

    Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    Guess it would help if I posted the pic of the curtains lol.
  • 12 years ago
    Below are examples of your color choices and how layering and accessorizing doesn't necessarily look cluttered. The second picture shows the bamboo shades and curtains layered and an interesting ottoman bringing it all in with pattern.

    [houzz=
    Mad for Galapagos Turquoise · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Katie Rosenfeld Interiors · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    If you're going to keep all the side tables and coffee table that you already have, you could add some woven/wicker/rattan baskets below these and some books as well. They are greta for storage as well as adding texture and accessorizing, like the one below but the basket or box a bit bigger and darker maybe to offset your yellow rug.

    [houzz=
    Coastal Sitting Room · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    hgtvobsessed is right - woven/wicker/rattan baskets really do warm up a living space. You can get some nice ones reasonably priced at Marshalls, TJMaxx, Homegoods.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I really do like your room and love how you blended the colors. I think your curtain choice is very pretty and should look pretty once up (unless the solid panel is not the exact color as the accent wall it may clash.) If that happens I would suggest painting the entire room the lighter color or purchasing a patterned drape or drape the same color as the light wall.
    Here are some suggestions to warm up the room.... purchase a soft ottoman in a circular formation maybe in a brown leather, also, remove one of the end tables and replace it with a floor lamp and woven basket filled with coordinating pillows and blankets. Adding some throw blankets onto the couch is nice as well. Here's a room I designed with some of those suggestions.
  • 12 years ago
    thanks! I will do that. Thanks for that tip!
  • 12 years ago
    Posting to follow. I want to see how this ends up! Love your room!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I love the idea with changing out the white wall with taupe. I have that in my huge great room with 18' ceilings and it's rather warm in there. Here's some table runners I found a efavormart for under $4. They're having a sale today, online. No, I'm not an affiliate, lol. I just love their deals. Keep your accessories on the large scale to avoid a cluttered, busy look--not at all cozy. I'm with you on the photos; I think they look awful on the wall and are best left in intimate spaces on tables and shelves. If I were you, I'd start with changing the white wall. It may be the one thing you're looking for!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks hobo, for pic of shades or you could get the cheaper ones that just roll up. All add texture which you need.
  • 12 years ago
    Like panels from west elm. I call it a chevron print.
  • 12 years ago
    The first throw by pure home is nice.
  • 12 years ago
    It's a gray from Benjamin Moore. You need to get sample try on your walls, only way to buy paint. We cannot see true colors on computer. Paint walls, no accent walls, paint dining the same. Then go for decor items like panels, etc.
  • 12 years ago
    hgtv, thanks for posting bamboo shades. Above.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think your room looks amazing; it is very warm and inviting. The coloring is also unique.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    you're lounge is gorgeous, and use of colour is done well. How about adding more texture? Varying the cushion textures with bouclé's, velvets, felts, or embellished. Also how about some light reflection? Possibly a lower height coffee table?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like the room and the accent wall. I would change the end tables to a round edge. Those just have a sharpness to them. Additional art work with offsetting lines and maybe remove some pillows and add a throw. That will soften the lines up and get it that more inviting feeling.