Software
Houzz Logo Print
dlkula

Color help

12 years ago
Any suggestions? My husband and I are not happy how our new furniture looks with wall color! Ahhh

Comments (45)

  • 12 years ago
    you could try to bring in another color,soft green or pale bleu with lamps,soft furnishings and accesoires...
  • 12 years ago
    Take a look at Benjamin Moore Georgian Green, very gray-green and I think it would be wonderful.
  • 12 years ago
    How does BM Georgian Green compare to Bleeker Beige(also a gray-green I think).
  • 12 years ago
    I just looks, much more green similar to the upholstered chair fabric we are getting. It is a light green striped texture. Hoping that helps and maybe change paint color.
  • 12 years ago
    The color on the wall is the same color I have on my wall. It's a great color but you've anchored it with dark furniture. It works, but you need to add color and softness. Try teals, rusts and greens. Find a few core pieces that you love and go from there. Don't be afraid to mis patterns either.
  • 12 years ago
    I had bleeker beige. It is a tan not a grey green. This was it when I had it in my dining room.
  • 12 years ago
    Of course, you're not happy. Where is the art?
  • 12 years ago
    WOW! That is so cool! Can you do a more traditional picture for me? This is therapy!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you:)
  • 12 years ago
    Try BM Elmira White...your current color is too warm for the rug and dark furniture.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, its hard because we just painted but my gut is telling me this color(Chestertown buff) is not working with this furniture. I like Elmira white, edgecomb grey and bleeker beige so far as choices for a redo!
  • 12 years ago
    I would use a tinted white color on the walls and add metal art pieces to offset the warmth. I would change the rug to a modern style in a cool color.
  • 12 years ago
    I love your furniture and rug. Try Latte by Restoration Hardware.
    dlkula thanked Cat Rowe
  • 12 years ago
    Go with Elmira White...it's so soothing when I come home after a hard day :)
  • 12 years ago
    Try Benjamin Moore's Adobe Dust--a pop of terra cotta to provide some contrast but that's still in keeping with your warm, autumnal colors. I agree with the suggestion for some art on the walls, colorful pillows that pick up a little of the brown but have some vibrant colors as well, and a sumptuous throw. Don't be afraid to mix warm colors and patterns.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I had latte in my kitchen from rh it is so close to the bleeker beige. I would go lighter. I would try egcomb grey by benjamin moore. it has a beige in certain lights and grey in others. It would look great with your rug and couch. It will be lighter than the yellow and the other colors like rh and bm. Funny you put egcomb grey. I have that in my basement. I have had so many paint colors and 15 rooms to paint. My husband will tell you I am an authority on painting. My kids when they see a paint sample they go I am not helping. Especially the hallway the celing is really high. Only room I have never painted was the garage maybe one day.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I believe you did the same thing I did when I originally painted. The walls had such a golden undertone...much like yours. I would definitely go lighter. If you want to stay in the beige family, you can always use bleeker beige or shaker beige; however, I would lean more towards the edgecomb gray. It is a perfect color that turns beige when you want and gray when you want...depending on how you accessorize. You should probably buy a few samples and paint each on the wall and see how they look in your space before committing.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm thinking that if you want to save some time/ energy/money to just redo one wall as an accent wall (may be add texture) and change out the carpet. You can probably use it somewhere else in the house (bedroom / office ) and find another one that will add more pop. And as others suggested ... art work and accent pieces and you'll proby be much happier. Everything looks beautiful, just need to pull it together until you love it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Have you considered changing the carpet and adding pillows on the couch? Our website, www.mysticvalleytraders.com, has a great pillow collection. Hope this idea helps!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Your furniture is good, i think you should go with modern rug instead of traditional rug.
    Trellis Rugs · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with the beige wall color suggestion!
  • 12 years ago
    I would go with the Bleeker beige as it would go well with your rug (which I like). Maybe you could do it just on one wall and add art that brings in the deeper gold tone of your current paint.
  • 12 years ago
    I love your wall colour, it is warm and inviting, live with it for a while it might be just a shock from the previous colour that you need to get used to. I agree with Groveraxle, your room is unfinished and bare walls will always stand out. Find art and accessories and it will work. I would also like to see a plant or two to soften the area.
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxle nailed it ... gotta' love that puppy with the goggles!

    I think the table is too large and is throwing things off ...is a new table in your budget?
  • 12 years ago
    I think if the table was turned the other way it would look fine. Some accessories on it will help reduce the visual impact of it too.
  • 12 years ago
    I think a nice teal or shad of blue would be very welcomed by your living room. All these beiges and creams are borning and kind of put me to sleep. No offense but it just shows a lack of imagnation. colour! Use colours that make you feel happy and spark your imagnation for your future.
  • 12 years ago
    I love what groveraxle did with the art and accessories. If you do choose to go with Edgecomb grey as one of the other posters suggested, I think you will like it. I used it in my son's room where I have heavy dark wood pieces, and then contrasted it with colorful bedding (blues, reds, pops of orange) It's beautiful! The washed grey background works really well with the woods (and in your case the dark leather too). Working in the accent colors makes for a really nice, layered feel. Post pics when you're done!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Yes art is needed but also a different colour ,can you turn the table so that the grain of the wood would face the sofa?

    Barefoot in the Grass CSP-840 Paint · More Info

    Brown Leather Sofa · More Info

    Hand Printed Linen Pillow - Pods, Green/Chocolate · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I have a very similar rug and similar wall color in my eating area. I have a seating bench with a dark wine color seat and animal print pillows to liven it up. I agree with the other posts that you need a large piece of art on the wall. I would also get something for the table and lots and lots of pillows!!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    That wall color is bringing out all the yellow in your furniture, rug, and floors! No wonder it is bothering you, it's even making a brown couch feel yellow. Isn't it amazing what a difference a color can make? I agree with grover, you do need some art, but the wall color isn't working with your furniture.

    I think a wine color to pick up the accent in your rug, along with some softer green accents, will look lovely and warm up the space from the mustard tones that are going on right now. Some coordinating pillows and a soft throw blanket will soften the room and make it look more cozy as well. How about this?
  • 12 years ago
    How cool! That's awesome and so so helpful! I like! Can we try this with a neutral wall color like edgecomb grey? Would love to see that too! Thx!!!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I prefer the burgandy walls. You can easily bring in the color with a new rug and pillows. It is much more dramatic and inviting!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Exposed brick is a great design features, but the best way to start is with color selection. You have the right idea, but please let us get rid of those atrocious couches in order to brighten up the room.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Here it is in the BM Edgecomb Gray. Personally, I think it looks a good deal cooler and less inviting in gray as the main color for the room. It tones everything down too much and seems less warm and cozy, at least in my opinion. I've attached the wine color for comparison.

    I've added a hall table on that blank far wall to fill up that space visually, with a bowl of green apples to pop and a cream gourd lamp. You can't really see it, but it's a mission-style hall table to match your mission-style coffee table. I've also attached a photo of the full table I used so you can imagine what it would look like in the room.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I see noodler beat me to the edgecomb gray. Ah well, since I did it anyway, I'll post it, along with the Monet I hung (since you asked for something more traditional).
    dlkula thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    Can we try bleeker beige please???
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Sure, although I'm not sure it's much of an improvement over the grey. Still looks blah to me. Definitely better than the gray though. The gray was too cold. Although it is impossible to tell what a color will really look like once you get it into your own room. Photoshop will give you an idea, but the unique lighting and space of your actual walls will change the colors. I would recommend experimenting with several sample colors, no matter what you decide.
  • 12 years ago
    The red really warmed the room up and made it cozy or at least on the computer it did . I would get sample of the bleeker beige, egcomb grey and the red and paint them leave them for a few days look at them in different lights and and your furniture and see what will you really like. Computer screens all have different settings and will not give you the true color.
  • 12 years ago
    I like that rug ...... just not there. How about a new rug with teal or rose in it and add accessories and wall art to pump up the color volume, ala grover. I like the furniture and the wall color. It's just too much of a good thing :).
  • 12 years ago
    New rug, new art, two different looks:
  • 12 years ago
    more grovermagic! That color and design makes such difference. I think it works.
  • 12 years ago
    I am a big fan of watching Groveraxel in action. Always awesome.
  • 12 years ago
    I would pick up darker " taupe color" from original carpet with. I would then add the blue shown as an accessory Need art work and accessories and maybe a side table with lamp
  • 12 years ago
    I think the noodler nailed it with the warm red walls!! makes me just want to go sit on that sofa and bask in the coziness
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Can you do it with latte on the walls, and burlap pillows with books on the table?