Software
Houzz Logo Print
debutl

I need advice fast!

12 years ago
My husband finally textured the drywall over the fireplace after installing stacked stone. I've been waiting only 18 months. I used a sample can of paint as primer and now I'm kind of liking the color. The primary wall color I chose is on the left. Should I keep the accent over the fireplace or paint all the walls the same color? The colors look more green in the pics than they are. I'm out of natural light, but need to finish painting so I can decorate for Christmas! Please excuse the mess. I'm painting!

Comments (47)

  • 12 years ago
    Oh! I love that color with your fireplace! Sooooo nice! Think I prefer the whole room one nice color, like what you have started here.
  • 12 years ago
    Either will look fine. I prefer the accent color;)
  • 12 years ago
    The sample color is nice but the wall color is beautiful. I'd use the wall color throughout.
  • 12 years ago
    Love the color over the fireplace! IMO, all the walls should be same color & either will look nice.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like the color above the fireplace for all of the walls.
  • 12 years ago
    Whatever color is above the fireplace looks perfect, it's a richer color and picks up color in stone. Nice stone.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Almost unanimous!
    Go with the colour that's over the fireplace, it has a nice richness to it, and it brings out darker highlights in the stone.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'd also consider painting the bulkheads (assuming you are not adding crown moulding beneath), and leave just the true ceiling in white, but paint under the bulkhead as well as the vertical face of the bulkhead, as it will help to visually raise your ceiling height.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yep, the sample color that's above the fireplace would look great on all the walls.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Go for the wall color and keep the room all the same color... It will look more elegant.... Good luck and merry Xmas!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    PLEASE make sure to keep us posted on your decision AND to share a pic of the room when you are done painting. Isn't painting a great way to get a new room? And I know you will get it done right away, with a tree waiting to be trimmed!
  • 12 years ago
    I wanted to paint the entire room the color over the fireplace, but got out voted by hubby and daughter, so I found the other wall color. I have enough of the lighter color, so I guess I'll paint all the same color. Here's a pic of the fireplace when we bought the house. That's hubby scraping the popcorn off the ceiling. I can't wait to get the painting done and put up the tree!
  • 12 years ago
    Nice they got to vote and nice you listened and nice that color works, too!!!
    Debbie thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    They have to live in this house, too! I love my family and respect their opinions, even if I sometimes disagree. :-(
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    And they have to appreciate the fact that you did not just put your bossy pants on!!! LOL Now, if you hand them a brush and you all paint......voila! Decorating time!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Oh.....love the vision you had for the fireplace. Soooo worth waiting for!!! And get those stockings hung, too.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    carry one
  • 12 years ago
    What do you think would look good over the mantel besides a mirror? There's a spotlight that shines on that wall, so I'm thinking a mirror is not the best idea. My rug has large medallions on it and I'm getting a round coffee table. Should I go for something round or squared?

    Thanks for your input!
  • 12 years ago
    You have such a wide mantel that you could put a series of framed art posters along there gallery style. Use non reflective glass in your frames
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Just curious.....do you have any other art in this room right now? Wanting to think about how much art is already here before suggesting more for the mantle, although I do love the idea of the gallery style yojelocin suggested.

    I love the blue in that rug and with the pillows in this room. Would like to see more of it on the mantle, too. Tall narrow skinny vases maybe on one end? A grouping of varying heights and then maybe two other larger items? That would give you FIVE, the odd number suggested.

    If not vases, what about candle sticks/candles in that blue with some white, but with some sparkle, too.
  • 12 years ago
    I don't have any artwork for this room. It's a clean slate. The sofa, chairs, rug, drapes, pillows and throw are all new. I like the idea of vases on the mantel.

    If I EVER get finished painting, I'll post an update. I swear the room is getting bigger!
  • 12 years ago
    I like the color over the fireplace and would use that color in the whole space.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi Debbie, I don't know what colors or style you are aiming for...but if you have some ideas on art...I might be able to offer some suggestions.

    Feel free to peruse my work and see what inspires you.
    http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/

    Because there is a light above the fireplace, I would go for a canvas print there, not anything glass...that would create an unsightly glare.

    Coffee table shape. It depends on what you have more of in the room. If you have a lot of round shapes, then go with a squared table. If you have a lots of squares, then a round table, it will help balance the space.

    A few ideas.
  • 12 years ago
    A couple of more hours to finish cutting in and I'm done! I know a lot of you thought the color over the fireplace looked better, but I had already bought this paint. I do like the walls all the same color. The second coat of paint on the mantel is still drying, so it's not mounted properly yet. I hope it looks good because I am not repainting this room for a LONG time. It has been a chore.
  • 12 years ago
    It is beautiful and sooooo worth the time and effort! Cutting in is theeee worst part about painting.....worse than the prepping and cleaning up even!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Very nice - quite a transformation!
  • 12 years ago
    That fireplace stone looks gorgeous!! Can't wait to see this room finished. (Absolutely love your rug choice btw!)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    hi there stone is beautiful,however i would paint out mantel with pearl finish same colour as walls,you dont want the mantel as the focal your stone or art above is where your eye should draw .If the mantel was larger ,maybe in in a rustic free edge beam of wood then a colour variance would be great,but the white strip takes away from the heft of the stone cutting fireplace in half....you did the right thing by using same wall colour,if you want focal colour it would need to be deeper, much deeper..looks great
  • 12 years ago
    Freadsmom, I had that very thought about the mantel and even posted the question on here in another post. The concensus was to paint it white.

    I haven't finished putting the decorations on the tree yet. I scrambled to find stuff to decorate the mantel with. I used what I had on hand. The mirror was in a closet and I know it's not big enough, but it'll have to do for now. I have a can of white spray paint. I'm thinking about painting the frame white. I don't like the drapery rods, but again, they have to do for now. They were the only ones I could find that were curved.

    I found this mirror that I LOVE! But, it's 35" high and I have a little over 36" between the ceiling and mantel. Do you think it would look too big?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    BEAUTIFUL ROOM! And just in time to have fun decorating for Christmas!
    Two little tiny thoughts......would that poinsettia work on the hearth hearth for a splash of color under the two stockings?
    What about turning the mirror the other direction.....will add just a titch more height and then off center it and that will make it look larger, too. LOVE how you layered items in front of it!
    Debbie thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    I do feel like that mirror would overwhelm the space with just one inch to play with, especially if you hung it.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thank you, abbyjean. I really like how the paint color turned out.

    I think that mirror would be too overwhelming, too. I'll keep looking.

    How about a reindeer with a poinsettia on it on the hearth? The mirror looks better with the dust cleaned off, too! :-) Here's the other side of the room. I've got to figure out what to do with that wall behind the sofa. I'm thinking about a gallery wall.

    I just noticed my daughter added the cats' stockings. LOL
  • 12 years ago
    Paint the whole room the same. But over the fireplace, go 2 shades darker, on color chip it usually goes light to dark. Just stay in same tones and will Look warm. And play off firepl.
  • 12 years ago
    Put a small sunburst mirrored firepl with candles on ends with pots in a accent color on other end. Nice color.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    OMG! I love that cardinal pillow! I think I would prefer just one side of the hearth with something big and colorful on it and the other side left open to sit with a glass of wine. And I just feel like there are too many small things on the mantle.....things that are all the same height. Love the mirror change! And love the idea of a gallery wall.
  • 12 years ago
    LOL, abbyjean! I got the cardinal pillows at Kohl's. I bought one last year and could have kicked myself for not getting two. I was in there the other day and they had a few so I got another one. I just checked their website and couldn't find them.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Do you think this mirror would clash with the pattern in the rug? It's 32" so that would leave only about two inches above and below the mirror.
  • 12 years ago
    I like that distance for the top and the bottom. How much room would be on either side then?
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, and I think it would play nicely with your rug.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    See if you can find this thread........Need an accent color for accessories.....and scroll to almost the bottom. I was just there and thought the accent pieces in that bluish color would maybe work for your mantle after the holidays. They may be totally the wrong color, but if you could find something like is pictured, I think it would be awesome.
  • 12 years ago
    I found the post, abbyjean. I've been looking for vases in the right color of blue and haven't found them yet. I'll keep looking.

    There would be 28" on either side with that mirror. Plenty of room for vases!

    Hubby just said I have too much stuff on the mantel and I think maybe he's right, for once. I think I'll edit it some.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Bless hubby's lil heart! I know they are all fun holiday pieces and hope you can still use them in your home.

    You will find the vases when you least expect it. That will be pretty up there for the new year.....mirror and vases.
  • 12 years ago
    That's better. Men are good for something every once in a while. :-) He did start the fire!
  • 12 years ago
    The accent color looks great. Enjoy the holiday
  • 12 years ago
    That is better. Enjoy the fire tonight!
  • 12 years ago
    After you remove your lovely holiday décor from the mantle, try a bold color. Maybe peacock blue or shades of orange glass accent pieces. The colors will compliment your blue pillows, without being to "matchy." Did you try Pier One? They have colorful vases and interesting shaped accent pieces. If you aren't set on hanging that particular mirror, why not try leaning a large mirror?
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz