Software
Houzz Logo Print
croscher

Towels?

12 years ago
We are remodeling our master bath. We have added a large shower perpendicular to a soaker tub. Since I'm planning on having the shower door open toward the tub, my original idea of a towel bar under the window between the tub and shower doesn't make sense. (No access as you leave the shower). I don't want to tack across the bathroom to grab something. Thoughts?

The currently empty white wall next to the shower will have a full upright cabinet.

Comments (15)

  • 12 years ago
    Think you're risking more damage / harm having the door open into the tub...why not just go the other way?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You could get a pretty freestanding towel rack...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    In keeping with sstar, I have installed both towel bars and hooks on shower doors. It makes the most sense for when a person steps into the shower. It just doesn't have to be there all the time - ie the user grabs it from another spot in the bathroom, and hangs it on the outside shower door while showering.
  • 12 years ago
    Dclostboy: if I open the door the other way it will open into the middle of the room. I've thought of that, but since the entry to the bathroom is to the left of where the utility cabinet will be, I'm worried that would be an obstacle.
  • 12 years ago
    Could I put a hook on the little brown wall makes up the left side of the door?
    I am using very distinctive fixtures (Brizo Virage). If I decide to put the bar on the door, is there any way to attach a towel bar meant for a wall onto a glass door?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi croscherYes, but depends on size of your towel which, if it is a bathsheet, can hang quite wide and obtrusively. Easily checked by taking said towel and hanging it on your finger.As far as I know you cannot attach a towel bar meant for a wall to a glass door. Glass doors are tempered and therefore holes are made before tempering ... if you are using screws.I am not sure how good super adhesive would look on the shower side...
  • 12 years ago
    From you pic it looks as if you'll have to enter the shower completely to turn on the water which will wet you with cold water. Am I seeing this right?
  • 12 years ago
    Would towels get wet if you installed towel bar on the back wall (where cabinet will be on the outside)?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I recommend installing your towel bar on the wall opposite of the shower head. It is far enough away that your towels will not get wet and will be convenient to retrieve to dry off. I have done it successfully even when the showerheads are closer than yours. Also, the original plan for the swing of the shower door is the best solution. All you need to do is have a small unobtrusive wall bumper that will protect your door and tile tub surround.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    @croscher, I thought the same thing, but your door is closed most of the time. The edge of the tub and the edge of the door frame look even. Talk to your installer to ensure it will even work.
  • 12 years ago
    I would put a hook on the little portioned wall just outside of shower. If shower is large enough you could have a hanging basket in top corner by the door inside the shower to hold one or two clean folded or rolled towels.
  • 12 years ago
    I was wondering if the back wall is far enough (54") That was a thought I had also. My husband is worried he'll walk into it there when entering. The shower controls are on the wall just opposite the entry. I can roll towels and put them on a shelf in my shampoo alcove that is in the end of the shower, but that doesn't help when I want to reuse a towel and I'm worried about mildew there.
  • 12 years ago
    Photo of alcove and positioning of controls
  • 12 years ago
    I would use decorative hook on left side outside of shower like you mentioned. Do you have a space anywhere else in bathroom to hang a long towel rack? Towels could be placed there to dry and then attach to hook when getting in and out of shower. I had the same problem in my remodel. Good luck.
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz