Software
Houzz Logo Print
tkricker

Window swag, yes or no

12 years ago
So, we are in the process of redoing our 1890 farmhouse and we have reached the dinning room. I would like some feedback on window treatments. I had a curtain that I picked up from Worlds Market that I feel in love with the color and Suzani fabric. I tossed it up on the one window to see how I liked it, while I do, I don't know how it do with another one in the same pattern on the other window. The placement of the second window is odd. It's butt up to the door that takes you to the second floor. It is also kind of close to the second window. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions welcomed! Thanks for your time. Sorry the lighting isn't the best, hope you can get the idea.

Comments (44)

  • 12 years ago
    While I love the fabric, I am just not a fan of swags.
  • 12 years ago
    Can't really see it. Maybe a photo in good light or at night with lights on. Have you checked online for styles, colors and patterns from the 1890's? Are you totally modernizing or restoring? Check into Country Curtains. They feature a lot of swags with inserts, as well as other curtains you might like. You could use the Suzani elsewhere - chair cushions, pillows.
  • 12 years ago
    No, I would not go with swags .. for a framhouse dining room, crisp white curtains always look great.
  • 12 years ago
    While the house is described as a farmhouse, we are not taking it back to that period, nor is country my cup of tea, we are however removing the fake wood paneling, drop ceilings and ugly carpeting. I apologize for the light, it's winter in NE Ohio and it was later in the day. Would you go with the curtain as is without the addition of anything else and just the cream curtain? We had to do a texture on the walls given the state of the original plaster and the limited budget to amount of tasks we want to fix.
  • 12 years ago
    I should also add, we want to restore as much of the original wood work as possible but "improvements" done it the 70's is really killing us!
  • 12 years ago
    Would love to see the curtain as is.
  • 12 years ago
    I can't see the fabric, but I would go with curtains rather than swags. On the window close to the door, you could hang curtains, and pull them to the left side of the window with a tieback.
  • 12 years ago
    The second picture is the problem child window without the swag idea that is the main picture posted.
  • 12 years ago
    Not sure if this helps see things better, may need to wait for sunshine, so sometime in the Summer, it is Ohio : )
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Can you post some pictures with all the window covering off?

    From what I can see, it looks like the view is of another house. So, you need something for privacy that still allows light in. And that one window is right up against that other wall/door.

    I think some simple cellular blinds (down up) or sheer blinds inside the window frame would work best.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Here is a picture of the cellular. You could use your swag over, or use the fabric on a simple cornice box.
    Light & Privacy! · More Info

    Garrett Park · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    -I'd do all the window dressed the same. (which in my mind includes the suggestion to have one panel each that was suggested above)

    -I would like the part that dips to be broader

    -I guess i'm not fond of the swag in that I'm not fond the sides that droop down on either side. it looks a litte strange just with 1 foot hanging out either side.

    -I think the top of the window do need something. Not sure what. Perhaps a valence instead of swag or stop the sag at the top corners with some kind of ornament knob thing at either top corner.

    These pics are just to throw into brainstorming (not seriously suggesting pompons ;)... the white one seems best but I think like there is something else that might be better.
    Could you use the fabric elsewhere in the room and instead make a swag of the sheer or a valence of the material or something very close to it?
  • 12 years ago
    Honestly, I really just threw up the fabric to get an idea so I know it's not perfect just wanted to see if I liked it, I was going to make cushions out of the fabric for the chairs.
    There is a house next door, so yes I need privacy.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the idea of keeping the sheers and adding another panel of fabric tied back, I wonder once I get art on the walls and refinish my buffet it will pull it together.
    If I were to add an addition of the fabric any suggestion on curtain rods? I could put these rods in a different room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I don't think I like either of the options you have--the swag or the sheer. Don't you have beautiful wood moldings/trim on your windows? I'd like to see that showing. Have you considered roman shades? Or cell shades as mentioned above? How about woven wood shades? All of these would look good mounted inside your window frames if you have the room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great pic Grover. You'll could also do the double width panels both pulled to the left on both windows and held back with a hook. Optimum light in daylight and full coverage at night
  • 12 years ago
    Good evening fellow NE Ohioan. I love your home! I do like groveraxle's idea as it adds more contrast against the walls, but I would keep the sheers for privacy. I dress my windows with sheers and drapes on a double rod for that reason.
  • 12 years ago
    Great picture Grover, thanks for taking the time to do that! The room is 12 x 12 my only concern is all that pattern may be too much? Thoughts?
    Because our neighbors are so close I am not feeling blinds in that room, I just feel more privacy with still letting light in during the day is needed, but yes we have great wood molding. Which sadly they cut when they put up fake wood paneling. The previous owners, my husbands grandparents were courted by the city to make this a historical home in the 1960's, how I wish they took them up on the offer. We still have the original slate roof, so not all is lost.
  • 12 years ago
    Solincia my Buckeye gal : ) where did you find your rods?
  • 12 years ago
    Also we had to replace all but one wall of baseboards, what is Gods green earth did people chop it up?!
  • 12 years ago
    I purchased my rods many years ago from Target & JcPenney. I'm always a big fan of penney's for drapes. O-H!!!
  • 12 years ago
    IO lol thanks, I just checked out Target, got something I think will work!
  • 12 years ago
    I like the idea but they are too short for the window .
  • 12 years ago
    I like panels and they can be pulled to center or both to left. Or use a relaxed Roman shade for softness, those a really pretty too.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Solincia and tkricker---, aren't you watching the game???
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Yes!! Ohio State sweatshirt on, game on, iPad in hand :)
  • 12 years ago
    I think you can get away with those panels in a 12 x 12 room if you keep the rest of the space pretty simple.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I say after watching this game, forget the curtains and go get a six of Great Lakes Christmas Ale! Lol
  • 12 years ago
    I am still concerned about how the panels will work with that one window in the corner. There looks to be just a couple of inches there, no room for stacking panels without them looking squished.
  • 12 years ago
    I was able to see the fabric in your most recent photo, it's very nice. I would still put panels on the second window and pull them to the left. You could use the fabric to make a soft shade for that window so you can leave the curtain pulled back, or for both windows.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I am going to Worlds Market and pick up another panel, now my other concern is the pattern, a few reviews I have read online about these curtains is mismatch of prints. Curious how I will like it, I'll keep you posted, and cheers to I raise my Great Lakes Christmas Ale!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hence one of the inherent issues with ready made panels. :( I really hope these work for you, but I imagine you will easily find drifting patterns, uneven hems, etc. Inexpensive drapery panels are mass produced in assembly lines and I imagine there is little time for quality checks. That is simply why they can be purchased for so little. Goodluck--and you may need that Christmas Ale once you try to match/straighten etc your new curtains! ;)

    --also--I would not tie the panels back toward the middle of the wall, just push them all the way to the corners. You can't change the windows, work with what you have.
  • 12 years ago
    I would encourage you to take off all of the fabric treatments and do 2" white wood blinds. It will look crisp and clean and bigger with a big dose of charm!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Kid I just scroll by some "giraffe" drapes???
  • 12 years ago
    JMittman, thanks for your input, in a perfect world and cost not an option I would probably spring for more costly fabric and pay to have curtains done but that is not the reality of my situation, when I have an entire house and yard to spruce up creativity is key. There is no two windows alike in this home, that cost adds up, as you may imagine.
    So, sorry but factory line curtains are what are within my budget.
    I bought it with plans to cut it up and make cushion covers for my dining room chairs. I just wanted to see what some design and color might do for the space.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry, as stated before nancyjohnrk, due to want and need for privacy blinds are a no go.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Most of my window treatments are factory line. One or two I had custom made and paid $$$, but right now in my living room, and the one I get the most compliments on....two tablecloths from Target are hanging on the star windows!

    The fabric was just what I was looking for.... Go creativity!

    Since you need privacy and budget an issue, have you considered some window film? Then your sheers, panels on top of that.
    For the panels: Just go for the 96 inch length, and hem if necessary. Add weight to the hem area to get that great drape!
    Fan · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Yes! I think floor length curtains will make the ceiling look higher, and it adds so much to a room! I'm loving patterned or textured curtains as well. Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the idea pcmom1. Oddly enough in the 80's my husbands grandparents did the whole film on the windows which remains too this day, since we are planning on replacing all the windows for something easier to clean inside and out and more weather proof the current film will be gone, it's a weird kind of film, the whole we can see out but you can't see in business.
    I did get the longest without touching the floor, love that look but with a dog and busy house going too long would be a hairy mess! Lol
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    What about buying crisp white panels and adding a border out of the panels from World Market since you want to make cushions out of the same fabric? This would limit the amount of fabric on the "problem" window and use up the rest of the material.
  • 12 years ago
    How about roman shades?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Roman shades are my first choice. or Treat the two windows as if they were one. Get enough panels to go from one window to the other window. With sheer behind for privacy. Pull one panel on far left window to the right stopping just before the wall begins. This will hide the offset windows nicely! and no one will be the wiser. Or pull from left and right side and tie the panels on the middle wall. You could use those hooks that hold the panel back.
  • 12 years ago
    All the trim is cream, we did that cause white trim with the plaster work was quit a shock on the eyes. So, I am not sure how white panels with cream trim would look.
    If I am going to go with the suzani fabric as a window treatment I wouldn't do cushions in the same but some simple and monotone, don't want so much going on.
    We had considered treating them as one, but we have a wonderful painting that my friend made for our wedding and want to put it in the space between the windows.