Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What changes are in store at your place for 2014?

Emily H
10 years ago
Do you have projects in mind that you would like to take care of in 2014? What kinds of smaller projects will you be tackling? Anything unusual?

Share your plans here! (Photos encouraged)

Rustic Reclaimed Chestnut · More Info

Comments (207)

• kludlow
    10 years ago
    Complete remake on a new apt - refinish floors, remove and replace molding, paint, retile bathroom, complete reno of kitchen. Remove a wall, build a closet. Change lighting.
    Uh. Is that enough?
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Spring - painting and inside flooring (carpet already torn out).

Summer - clean out the garage.

Fall - stain the outside of the house.
  • Mary Langley
    10 years ago
    We will be remodeling our kitchen and trying to come up with a good solution to the universal TV vs fireplace dilemma in our family room (no to TV above the fireplace : (.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Too bad! We love our TV above fireplace which we did in last year's remodel. Worked out perfect for us.
  • Terri Reid
    10 years ago
    We just picked out our new hardwood floors, getting rid of all the carpet. Also picked out the stone for the fireplace. So excited!!
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    Good luck Terri! Have fun.
  • Terri Reid
    10 years ago
    @ Kroze....Can't wait!!
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    Post pictures when you finish!!!
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    the master bath is beginning to go back together.
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    The MOP tiles look really nice (Dintin) My Dazzle on her inspection, a daily occurence. Is that tile dust in Mr. Hernandez hair or is this project turning his hair white.?
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    This space could hold a really luxurious sandbox for me. VERY DISAPPOINTING THAT IT'S A PEDICURE TUB OR A PLACE FOR MY BATH. Next week the toilet area and vanity are on the schedule
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    Mirror panels on each side of ped sink/shower seat are left over mirror from my old batharea.. Mirror s are still in garage.Test today, floor drains properly. Yea/ The Stratastone white mosaic is down.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    Can't wait to see the finished product!
  • kphjav
    10 years ago
    We are gutting the kitchen and taking down the wall between the kitchen and living room...so excited!
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    Shower panel in. Pic still in my camera. Will send in a few days. Thanks for the interest.
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    Alberto and I are having so much fun with this. He really loves working on the cabinet to go into the wall with my inspiration piece on the door. He found salvage metal laminate in my garage to put in back to reflect light.. This pic shows the vessel sinks and faucets for vanity and the door of the cabinet is behind the sink. it will be hung vertically hiding my electric tooth brush and water pick along with the other dental necessities. It will also serve as a night light as the toilet is directly behind that wall. OOPs wrong picture. I am new at this. see pic below
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    Right object, wrong description of picture, I'll try again
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    my planning table is getting empty which means progress is being made.
  • dianna carpenter
    10 years ago
    We are debating whether we should take a wall down to enlarge our living room. It is a small space and would open our LR up yo the kitchen. We would be losing our outdoor patio space. Which we have considered building a pergola away from the house to compensate.
  • houseatthelake
    10 years ago
    Started on my demolition. Getting built-ins for this area for TV Storage space and display space
  • PRO
    Ferris Zoe Design
    10 years ago
    diannacarpenter; if you post a larger picture of both areas (LR&Kit) or another pic of the kitchen, i'll take a look and make some suggestions. you have the right idea!
  • unruli
    10 years ago
    Bathroom done! The first photo is the before.

Wallpaper down (THAT was a chore….why is it never as easy as everyone shows it to be?), walls painted, new towel racks, new grout, new door, new door handle (now the door opens no matter which way you turn the handle - something that should please guests who in the past have gotten "stuck" in the room), refinished cabinets (General Finishes Java Gel Stain), new medicine cabinet (not what I wanted, but was in the budget and the new owner can always change it), new faucet, new shower fixtures, new toilet, new trim, new light/fan fixture, new outlets and new switches. As much as I LOATHE wallpaper the wall behind the cabinets was just uneven enough that it would take a great deal of work to smooth it well enough for painting so I put in paintable wallpaper. It took me a while to find a paper I liked (I don't care for the "tin look", "80's swirl" or "knockdown" papers out there, but I think I found one that works.

If we were staying this is not what I would have done, but the budget was small and required a lot of elbow grease. The room is SO much brighter and looks a great deal bigger.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    Wow, job well done!! And I think you picked great wallpaper! : )
  • unruli
    10 years ago
    The laundry/pantry is also done. Sorry….I have no before images available, but be assured that it was pretty awful.

Wallpaper border taken down, new paint, new trim, new light & switch, new wiring & outlets, the nasty carpet and old, old, old linoleum removed, new floor down, shelving cleaned and reconfigured (shelves added). The doorway to this room was a 6' wide door…..unnecessary and with four doorways entering the VERY small kitchen adjacent to this room we reduced the width of the doorway to 30" so we could make use of the wall space on the other side to install a dishwasher. So, there is a new bifold door that was added (it's SO nice to be able to close that room so there's no cat hair! The paint varies in appearance from blue-grey, robin-egg blue and light green depending on the light. The floor and wall color will also go in the kitchen.

Everything was scrubbed within an inch of its life (the cover for the ironing board is in the wash right now) and we now have TONS of storage space! Now…..onto the kitchen!
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    Very lovely. Looks Iike an optimal use of the space available. I like the wall color.... serene!
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    All done, thought I had already done this. have had computer problems for a month now.
  • unruli
    10 years ago
    Oh my Charlotte…..far more involved than what I've accomplished!
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    first pic is before we tore out all those doors. second picture shows the same view just a little closer. No more bowling alley with mirror sliders and louvered doors removed. Kept the same mirror over the vanity and framed it with the MOP tiles like the ones used in the shower room.
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    Unruli, It was a project that I worked on in one form or another for two years. Stored everything in my garage that i liked then called my Handyman,that I knew had lots of experience doing work in our area. Everything was bought, lights, drain for shower, tile for floor of wet room, walls, sinks, faucets, toilet and in-wall tank, laminant for the vanity and slider door to my bedroom. Alberto drew up the plan for the pedicure sink i wanted with the bench that serves as a shower seat. I bought everything online except the paint . Alberto built 8 ft double vanity and closet shelves for clothes and old linen closet. The picture over the door to my bedroom was taken by my daughter's deceased photographer husband, Kenneth Gehle, It is from his Cumberland island series. Part of his work is on a site she has set up to sell prints.The picture deserves a better space but that was the only area large enough in a dry area. He traveled the US and took wonderful photos of the national parks. I have more photos in my ideabook of rounders ideas.
  • guod
    10 years ago
    We're deep into it now. The three bathrooms are done. Kraft paper down everywhere protecting the new tile. New master bedroom carpet. The wallpaper removal was easier than anyone would have expected. The kitchen demo was *scary* but the new cabinets are looking great. We get the stove back tomorrow from it's temporary residence in the den. That carry-out food is wearing thin after a week. Cabinet doors will arrive later this week then it's paint paint paint. One wall knocked down and another added. Have to find the new vent hood for the stove. Had (knock wood) had great luck so far with all the providers *except* for one unbelievable experience that is not over yet getting Lowe's to install the new washer/dryer. To be continued... photos and more stories once the war zone clears.

Posted December 18, 2013 at 4:25pm... "Big year ahead for the old house. Three demos and rebuilds for the bathrooms. Knock down a wall between the kitchen and office area. Demo the kitchen and build back. Fill in an opening between the front room and the office. All new front room furniture. New master bedroom furniture (except for our wonderful Tempurpedic bed). We really wondered are we making the right decision putting this much into a 35 year old home, or should we buy another one? But the prices of everything but a shack in this area scared us off, so renovation wins."
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    Love the color of your laundry area and it is so organized. Good work. you're on to the Kitchen and as soon as i recuperate i must redo my bedroom to be more compatible with my new bath. It won't be more than a little facelift.
  • Charlotte Beachum
    10 years ago
    Guod, you are a brave soul to do so much at once. Frankly, i have done over so many places that i have decided to stay put, do this as well as i can and enjoy. Redid the gues bath, Kitchen, in the last seven years and saved my masterbath till last. from now on only carpet or paint with an occasional new bedspread. I really am ready to enjoy it as it is and dream through other's renovations of what it possible.
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    Crown moulding/ painting project upstairs got started Monday. Moulding was finished yesterday and they began the painting. Guys got here 45 minutes ago and are working on the first coat of paint in the bedroom. Decided to be brave and go for darker, richer colors this time instead of the safe linen white. Love the contrast of color and white. Work in progress pictures included.
    Called landscaper to discuss patio extension for fire table and chairs. Want to get started in early spring if it ever stops snowing!
    Never thought that 11years after we built the house we'd still be working on it! I keep telling my husband "Don't worry, it's almost perfect!"
  • Isabelle Seculier
    10 years ago
    Hopefully repaint fully and redecorate the entrance & apartment hallway and the toilet room. If we do it, i'll post pics (and a quick surprise redecorating make-over for my mom's bedroom in her own apartment, that will be for mother's day).
  • stlouisgaltoo
    10 years ago
    FINALLY getting the old wet basement fixed...properly!! New windows in the basement too. Working on my plans for my new laundry room there!!
  • unruli
    10 years ago
    The kitchen was a bit of a bear, but it's DONE! First, the before photos.

This room is small…..9'x12' and has FOUR doorways that go into it. One entry from the dining room on the long, south wall; two doorways that take up most of the west wall (one to the bathroom and one to the basement) as well as a 6' double bi-fold door to the pantry that took up HALF of the north wall. There was NO storage space and certainly no counter space. We had a roll cart that we used to store larger items and that allowed us a bit of "useable" counter space, but it was a paint as the only place to store it was in front of the pantry or basement door. We'd purchased a new fridge, but it was 1" too wide to fit in the old opening. With no time to remedy the problem we just put the fridge in front of one of the pantry doors and used the opportunity to temporarily install a dishwasher. We used garage storage baskets to help free up counter space. The floor was torn and stained. The kitchen was a mess.

BEFORE PHOTOS:
  • unruli
    10 years ago
    And now the AFTER!

Floor replaced, wallpaper removed (awful, awful job!), pantry door reduced from 6' wide to 32" wide, doorway to dining room widened 15" to accommodate opening refrigerator door fully, wall repairs, new entry doors, new trim, new paint, new light fixtures (light fixture over the sink was a $3 garage sale find), new wiring (some outlets), GFI's installed, cabinet above the stove moved to the "new" wall from reducing the size of the pantry door, new cabinet installed above the stove to accommodate the installation of an over-the-range microwave, dishwasher permanently installed in new location, sink cabinet moved over 1" to accommodate wider refrigerator, cabinets refinished with General Finishes Java Gel stain with Mixol Black added (color was too warm and needed to be cooled to accommodate the slate-look floor), new countertops installed every surface, nook and cranny scrubbed to within an inch of its life. All completed by……ME (with a little assistance from my husband for the two-person jobs).

With the pantry finished (shown in a previous post here), the longer counter on the north wall where the double pantry door used to be, the small extra cabinet added and the microwave install above the stove we finally have more storage space than we can use! We can put everything away and don't need to store tons of stuff on the counter any longer!

Now, on to the NEXT room so we can sell this house!!
  • unruli
    10 years ago
    Oh yeah….forgot. New cabinet hardware as well.

All for a budget of less than $2000 (for both the pantry AND the kitchen)

The best "over-all" photo I could manage:
  • Jolene
    10 years ago
    Redoing the entry and both fireplaces.
  • chrischocallo
    9 years ago
    Spent 6 months totally gutting and renovating a condo in Florida. It was a long and expensive process but we are thrilled with the results.
  • freetess
    9 years ago
    It's nice to see all the studs and gutted rooms; makes me feel much better. We have no small projects. Just replacing a light bulb always seems to morph into re-wiring, new fixtures and a major gut project. We bought a handyman special and have several simultaneous projects going on(ADD). Currently we are scraping the exterior and hope to get at least one face of the house painted. The major project is installing a new kitchen. That space is down to the studs, but there is flooring, electric, plumbing and a header to be done before anything starts to look like we have made progress.
  • chrischocallo
    9 years ago
    It has been a year since we closed on a condo in a great building that was in bad condition. We totally renovated it and it took seven months. It was stressful and expensive but well worth it. Before and after pics.
  • Krishna C.
    9 years ago
    I am going to be working on my bedroom. I loved the minimalist feel of my bedroom but I wanted to make it more cozy. I am planning on making a canopy by attaching curtain rods to the ceiling. I am also planning getting a dresser and adding more lights.
  • PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    9 years ago
    We have a new stretch ceiling material in, and it has sparkles! This is a macro photo of it. It's white, and the texture is finer than linen, like canvas. The sparkles are very tiny and light silver in colour. It's difficult to photograph such a thing, so please let us know if you would like a sample. You can also get a free quote here: http://www.laqfoil.com/contact-us/calculate-cost-of-your-project.html
  • kpappal
    9 years ago
    Our house is just 3 yrs old so there wasn't much that needed done to it. Last summer/fall we finished the basement, adding a complete kitchen, full bath and man cave. We met our goal of finishing for Thanksgiving. This fall I plan to paint the (open concept) family room, livingroom, dining room and entryway walls- which are now an ivory color. In the spring I'd like to paint the inside of the garage - maybe with a semi-gloss that can be washed easily.
  • unruli
    9 years ago
    So many projects completed…..and still going. Barn is cleaned up and ready to put the house on the market. Cobwebs down, lights replaced that were no longer working, temporary stall door replaced, extra stuff dragged out of the loft and general organizing:
  • unruli
    9 years ago
    The TINY office has a new floor, a light on a switch (only had lamps available before), wallpaper border down and new paint added. I HATED that room before. We're moving stuff out to a storage facility so there isn't much going back into rooms right now so it's pretty bare (though we've decided to use it as a cat room temporarily so we've moved their litter box and food in there for now). Before and after:
  • unruli
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Unfortunately, I don't have any before photos of the living room except the ones we took before we moved in. The first renovation was to remove the border and pink carpet (it was glued down) and refinish the floors underneath. The floors were white pine and they don't stay nice for long so rather than refinish them again we just replaced them this time. This renovation included new paint, new floor, replaced trim (old trim was really damaged), new ceiling fan and new doors (the doors they installed were INTERIOR doors and so they started rotting quickly) and new paint, stair rail and stair treads in the stairwell. We put in Andersen doors:. Before and after:
  • unruli
    9 years ago
    Except for the furniture, this is what the dining room looked like before and after. The table we have now is only a temporary table (we used to use it at the cabin because it folds down to nothing and stores the chairs, so it's not exactly trendy, but it's something we can use until time to move. New, light, pulled down wallpaper border, new paint, new trim, new doors, widened doorway to the kitchen, new floor, some electrical work and a LOT of damaged wall work. Before and after (sadly, the color looks a bit lemony in these photos…..it's really a beautiful buttery color. So lovely that I'm having one of the rooms in my new house painted this color even though I don't normally like yellow rooms):
  • unruli
    9 years ago
    And the main floor bedroom. New floor, new paint and new light, but the majority of the work went into the closet. The closet walls were some kind of wallpaper-covered board that was falling apart so the closet was gutted and drywalled. ALL of the stuff in all of the rooms was done by me (my husband isn't terribly handy) and although he helped hold things occasionally he wasn't much involved in the work. I'm now working on the upstairs. Those rooms won't get the finish the main floor rooms got, but they'll get cleaned and touched-up so they're presentable. Main floor bedroom before and after: