Software
Houzz Logo Print
tracyctus

Need entry inputs!

12 years ago
I have a narrow entry which lead to the stairs directly. But, I still try to achieve a welcome and sophisticated look, but also functional! The piece I can think of is storage bench or shoe bench. Console table by the corner next to the stairs for displaying. Maybe a coat tree or wall mounting above bench for hanging clothe? Thank you.

Comments (27)

  • 12 years ago
    Hi tracyctus :)
    How much space do you have in the doorway next to the short wall in the pic with the cardboard on the floor?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great blank canvas! We would recommend taking advantage of the long wall you have from the doorway to up your stairs - try painting bold horizontal stripes in white to bring out your white moulding and create depth. Then hang a collage of mirrors (to add light and take away from narrow feeling). Maybe mix in some art/family photos. You are on the right track with a demilune console and a stool on the wall cardboard is placed.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi tracyctus :-)
    I'm wondering if the wall under the stairs, the one that you can see when you enter your home, would fit something like this, a storage bench combined with coat hanging space. It would be out of sight when you're in the living room, giving space for something decorative like a hall table with painting or mirror above it on the longer wall near the front door.

    Wow... that was a long sentence :-)
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you both! To clarify, the wall on the cardboard, not sure which wall are you referring to, is the one back facing the entrance (highlight with heart) or the one behind that little blue iPad case? (Highlight with Star)Thank you!
  • 12 years ago
    Haha, I was going to put it on the short wall where the cardboard is ending, with the demilune in hall and a console or medium height bookcase on stair wall. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Heart :)
  • 12 years ago
    ...
  • 12 years ago
    Star :-D
  • 12 years ago
    LOL
  • 12 years ago
    ;D
  • 12 years ago
    Ikea has great bookcases and consoles. Also they have narrow shoe cabinets, would fit great in narrow hallway.
  • 12 years ago
    Lots of sizes and finishes in this line.

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/09064/
  • 12 years ago
  • 12 years ago
    Haha, actually I never think of the heart wall that I should put on anything since it's the kitchen door next to it. I thought I should put a console table against that star wall that you can see right after entering the door?
  • 12 years ago
    My doorway is very narrow which is a problem. It can only fit something the depth is less than 15", 11"to 12" would be ideal, otherwise you'll feel tight and the way is blocked.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Take a look at the shoe cabinets I gave you a link to, they're very narrow. Plus they look cool, and some have storage drawers on top for keys and bits and pieces that you need to keep track of. Very useful. The tall ones hold a boatload of shoes. I've seen them at store, they're really good.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Instead of placing something on the star wall, how about putting something on the wall under stairwell (like a media console/Storage cabinet): http://www.claytongrayhome.com/category/Console-Entry-Tables/c51
    http://www.claytongrayhome.com/category/Casegoods/c66
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks mforr, how about sitting though? I should have sort of seat next to it, right?
  • 12 years ago
    This one is 14" deep.
    Bram Shadowbox Console Table, Distressed Black · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    You need a slim console table with a mirror to put against the wall as you walk in such as the following from Houzz pages:

    French Heritage Clichy Console, Vouvray Finish · More Info


    Arteriors Home Finch Console · More Info


    Schafer Iron Console · More Info


    La Villette Hollywood Regency Sunburst Mirror, Antique Gold · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I think this one is very cool, but in a different colour. Available in different sizes and colours and not even 10" wide I think, so that's perfect!
    http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=7568&catalog=filter&menuCatalog=room&menuCategory=201&menuSubcategory=144

    Also available in half round, 10" deep.
    http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=7568&catalog=filter&menuCatalog=room&menuCategory=201&menuSubcategory=144

    Slim Console Table, Ocean · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The narrow has to be on heart wall?
    Put shoe cab there, demilune in hall with mirror, close to door. Bookcase on star wall and small bench, stool or chair on low staircase wall.
  • 12 years ago
    Well, after checking space. I don't think I can put anything on Heart Wall area since the kitchen entrance is next to it. Anything placed there will block the way... So, the workable space is the star wall and the narrow doorway I guess. I'll go back to measure it again and share all sizes later. Thank you all!
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe you can put some wall art there and a plant.
  • 12 years ago
    Not every wall needs something on it :-)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    On the heart wall I would put either a narrow shelving box (2" deep) if you have a tiny collection of something that would fit (including family pics) or full length piece of art. This way it doesn't interfere with the kitchen entrance. On the wall facing the entrance door I would put a narrow bench on which to sit and take off shoes, which go under the bench on a tray or mat. If you want them hidden, you could use tension rods between the bench seat legs with your choice of fabric that could be changed seasonally if you wanted. Over the bench would go a large mirror. By the stairs would go a coat tree. Not every wall needs something on it, but when it is a wall you'll focus on such as in the entry or coming down the stairs, it should have something of interest. You could hang some large complimentary art piece on the wall behind the door instead of the kitchen entrance wall and that would be lovely.
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz