Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davecwhite25

Carport vs. Garage

David White
10 years ago
My wife and I are in the midst of building a 4 bedroom, 4 Bath Contemporary house on a 2 acre wooded lot in MD. We recently reviewed plans and the architect, based on budget and I believe aesthetics is recommending a carport vs. a garage.

I mentally had always envisioned a garage, but am warming to the idea of a carport. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or similar experiences they'd like to share.

Comments (27)

• Margo
    10 years ago
    Could you explain the aesthetics is recommending a carport ? I am struggling with a carport adding any value for real use or beauty to the home.
  • Sharon Cameron
    10 years ago
    Do you have a garage now? If so do you use it for storage or actually parking your cars in? Is internal access important to you?
  • chookchook2
    10 years ago
    Get the garage if you can afford it, in case you take up heavy metal drumming and grow your hair long.
  • PRO
    Garage Doors & gates 4 Less
    10 years ago
    Benefits of a Garage
    A garage is a permanent structure for housing your car and it is fully enclosed. Many garages are attached to the home with entry being via a door and this is great as it allows you to get the kids in the car, bring in the shopping, or do whatever else you need under full cover and privacy. However, many garages are built freestanding, at the back of the home or slightly to the side. Because they are fully enclosed and lockable, garages are also much more secure than a carport, which is an important consideration if you are worried about security at all.
    While the garage is perfect for protecting your car against the weather, it is also great for storing other items – your second fridge, gardening tools, the lawn mower, cleaning supplies, Christmas decorations, or just about anything else that you can think of. In a pinch it can be used as extra living area (such as parties) or if there comes a time when you no longer need one of your cars, you can convert all or part of the garage into extra living space or into another bedroom relatively easily. This is something that you simply cannot do with a carport.
    Garages generally look like more of a “part” of the home due to them sharing similar materials in their construction. You can also choose garage doors that perfectly complement your home,
    For more convenience the doors can be motorized to open at the push of a button.
    The cost of garage vs carport should not be that match more since the deferment is only exterior walls and garage door and when it’s part of project like building a new house when you have the labor and materials on site already the cost different for two car garage is $1500 +/-, however the return on investment and your property value will be match grater
  • chookchook2
    10 years ago
    There is also the garport option, where the front has a door, but the back is open.
  • chookchook2
    10 years ago
    There is a nice curtain called Margo I could suggest.
  • barnandbungalow
    10 years ago
    I have a carport in Arizona. I like the look of it, and it protects the cars for the most part, but it greatly limits our storage--both for long term storage like Christmas decorations, or just a place to park bikes. The kids bikes have been stolen once already. While it is not absolutely necessary. A garage is practical and desirable to a future buyer. Good luck,
    BarnandBungalow.com
  • jn3344
    10 years ago
    We had the same dilemma. Ultimately we went with the garage and ended up making other modifications to the design which brought the cost down to where we wanted it to be. Building in the spring.

Our architect explained that he could design the carport so that it could be converted into a closed garage later. We thought about that as it seemed a workable compromise.

The cons as we saw them were mainly about storage, not necessarily the protection of the vehicles. Since we are not going to have a basement, we thought we needed the enclosed storage because we will be in our first year of retirement and we are sorting out a lifetime of stuff. Some sorting before moving! But we have family collections which must be dealt with respectfully and that takes time which we don't have until we officially retire.

Also we will be away from home for considerable periods throughout the year. We felt a garage was more secure. Also, ladders, power tools, lawn tools, wheelbarrows. We would have to find a non garage place for all that stuff.

I think if we were both still working, or if I didn't have all the power tools, or if we hadn't collected/inherited so much junk (which can be a burden tbh) we could do a carport and a garden shed.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    There is no comparison, a garage provides a weather tight, secure place to store your vehicles. Aesthetically there wouldn't be a difference except one is open vs enclosed. Do you have some exterior drawings from the architect you can share?
  • Kivi
    10 years ago
    It's hard for me to see how a carport offers greater aesthetic value. As soon as you start using it for storing anything such as a garbage can, a recycle bin,...anything..you are now starting to junk it up, and where has your aesthetic value gone?
    A carport is not a practical choice... It is at best a budget choice, but even then is it a smart one if not having a garage degrades your property value?
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    What do the other properties have? While you might be able to make a carport work for you, this is large enough of a design/living statement to take resale into consideration. If all the neighbors have garages, you need to have one too.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    When you say carport, I think many people are thinking of the cheaper metal structures. I think you could build one that is aesthetically pleasing that goes with the style of your home. Maybe something more of a portico that you can park under on the side of your house.

However-It would be much nicer to hop in your car on a cold MD winter morning in a garage and just drive out of it, especially if the garage is attached to your house. It really does keep your car in better condition to be in a garage. (BTW, I am in MD)
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I have had both and a garage is far more desirable. Keep in mind resale too. Bite the bullet and make it work for your budget as it is far less expensive to do it at this point rather than later.
  • PRO
    Claude C. Lapp Architects, LLC
    10 years ago
    We are also in MD. Depending on where you are, it may be important for resale to have a garage. If not, you may want the option of having a garage later when you have the budget to do so. It is always an option to have the carport designed with the structure in place to later be converted. We have done this on several occasions. We have also converted existing carports to garages during remodeling projects.

Like others have said, also consider the storage component that a garage offers.

Best of luck with your build and have a wonderful holiday.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Is this a double garage/carport? In which case... you could maybe have the best of both worlds. The garage (which provides lots of storage for other things than a car) and a carport, so your car has a sheltered spot to 'live'.

Would be interested in seeing the designs of your home :-)
  • curacaoblue
    10 years ago
    We live down south where car ports are common as weather is not severe. That being said I considered it a deal breaker when house shopping. I've lived in MD and IMHO it's a bit too cold for a carport there. I would not skimp In That area personally.
  • mfwolfe
    10 years ago
    I think the consideration of the other properties in the neighborhood is significant. However garages are wonderful. I do not like garages on the front of houses, but I realize that there are lot sizes to consider. When we built we built the detached garage a year before we built the house. We had chosen a design that we weren't sure about and gave it a test run on the garage. Luckily it worked out because what would we have done if it wouldn't have worked? My husband uses the garage as a get away place and we have an extra freezer, sports equipment, gardening stuff, and hobby stuff stored there. We were able to build a smaller house because we built a big garage.
  • David White
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is what the architect is proposing in terms of the carport
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    And how would it look if you decide to turn it into a garage in the future?
  • santoslhauper
    10 years ago
    Based on that rendering, the problem the architect might be having is with the door. It would look less cool with a door on it. However, I would still put a garage so you don't have to deal with freezing cars in winter. There are some cool looking garage doors on the site, but they aren't cheap.
  • PRO
    The Wolves Building Zone
    8 years ago

Having read this over a year old article, I think why brought it up is people have seen too much of garage, and the main function of it is storing junks. Having one giving people excuses of keeping those antiquies, and they seldom use it for their cars. And the garage looks sooo massy. if the weather allows, I would prefer a modern carport, looks like a piece of art work, if with solar on roof, will be perfect.

• ubergigglefritz
    8 years ago

I am currently struggling with this as well. The space I have to put a ONE car garage would be fine as a carport, as I could have an open side, so the designated space wouldn't have to be as wide; plus the front end wouldn't have a door, so it wouldn't have to be as long either. If I enclosed it as a garage, it would be pretty tight. But I do like the privacy of a garage (people can't tell if I'm home or not), the aesthetic (with the door on the side, it does psychologically make the house seem bigger if I ever to want to sell), and the added protection from weather (both for wind-blown snow and for storing bikes). I completely agree with Curt D'Onofrio's comment though, and know that if it were an attached carport, it would be less likely to just get filled with junk than if it were a garage ;-) It's also on the only side of the house which can get breezes through the windows, and worry about blocking any of that breeze with solid walls... After reading this and thinking through, I do think a carport will be the right choice for me, with my space issue. I do want one that is built to the house and matches the same style; as opposed to a metal carport, so I don't think it will detract from the value.

• David White
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We went with garage and never looked back. We ended up increasing the height of the ceiling in the rear so as to enable installing hydraulic lifts for multiple cars. It's also big enough to entertain guest. Our builder insulated the garage. For storage and livability the is no comparison at least for us.

An architect once told us that architects love carport because they're more "green" but more importantly they cut down on clutter.

Here are a few pictures.
  • mizsusan
    8 years ago

I would give up something else to have a garage. Not only great for you but great for resale

• PRO
    Joseph Bradshaw
    8 years ago

I live in Utah where we have cold winters and currently I'm living in a house with a carport. I was intrigued when I saw that there was no frost on the car in the mornings if it was under the carport, while cars parked outside of the carport were covered in frost. I think carports can look better than garages if designed well and you could save a lot of money at the same time.

• Pink
    7 years ago

Also to consider is that a carport lends itself to parties a lot better than a garage - especially if the garage is filled up with junk :-)

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz