Software
Houzz Logo Print
jlee634

Master bath layout help please!

12 years ago
Master bath layout help! Husband, architect and I are split on which layout is best. Overall bathroom dimensions are 11'5" x 8'10". Planning for at least a 3x5 glass enclosed shower. Thoughts on these layouts or other ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Comments (17)

  • 12 years ago
    Also the wall you see between the vanity and the toilet is a half way. (Just to clarify)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Agreed, the 2nd layout feels more open while still providing some separation for the toilet area.
  • 12 years ago
    The 2nd photo. I would consider taking the half wall to the ceiling so you will have symmetry on either side of the vanity. You can install towel bars, medicine cabinets etc on each end.
  • 12 years ago
    Seems like you want the toilet a bit separated, but in the layout with it behind the tub with a door it may be cramped to get too. I have a house where the toilet and shower are together behind a door. Its a nice layout because there is a window in the area for natural light and air and someone can be showering etc. while I am still able to use the vanity. The tub is used less and is outside with the vanity.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I prefer the first. I like the fact the shower has its own enclosed space; I also like the fact that the toilet is enclosed as well. I don't particularly like an enclosed shower next to a floating tub.
  • 12 years ago
    I prefer the first as I think having privacy for the toilet is much better. Good luck!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i not understand in 1st one how can u open storage door when there is no enough space in front of storage.... second one is better but costly for plumbing
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    2nd layout for sure. Is the tub a free standing unit?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    2nd layout is the best. It would be a great design for a free standing tub.
    Have you thought about a seat in the shower and where you might place it.
  • 12 years ago
    2nd! ;) good luck
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- The second one for sure . Then your not looking right into the biffy ! And the shower should always be with the tub .
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Second one hands down.
  • 12 years ago
    The first seems cramped, but I think it's so much better to have the toilet enclosed. Can you use the second floor plan, but enclose the toilet with a solid wall and frosted door?
  • 12 years ago
    I have the 2nd layout in my master bath but the wall between the vanity and toilet goes all the way to ceiling. I have carpet between vanity and tub, tile is in front of toilet and shower . I ha e double vanities. I have been happy for over 25 years with this layout. Good luck!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    separate water closet.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    There is no question that the second is the better of the two options.

    It appears this is new construction and that you are set on the overall room dimensions. You might want to consider a slight modification to option B. You could separate the toilet and shower area from the vanity and tub area. This could be done by using a 3'-6" x 5'-0" shower thus leaving approx. 6'-0" clear for the tub and vanity. Sure the vanity will be unable to float in the space but provide some good separation. The additional space gained next to the toilet could be used to house a waste can, scale or tall linen cabinet. Finally the two spaces could be separated with a pocket door which will keep the door swing out of the way.

    As you know there are a multitude of functions that take place in the bathroom. One of these is showering which creates steam. In such a small space this may be a problem if you husband is showering and you are trying to do your hair.

    Separating the spaces will also allow someone to use the potty while the other is brushing their teeth. There are many other instances that I could go in to but you can start to get the picture.

    Good luck with your project.