Software
Houzz Logo Print
sfigu16

Would this curtains make my living room too dark?

12 years ago
I am stuck with this curtains (maybe because i am obsessed with them!) I just want opinions if you think they would make my room look too dark

My couch is a chocolate brown

Comments (40)

  • 12 years ago
    Well they certainly look like they were made to go with your rug. Are those both black? Maybe try an interesting paint color on your walls if you really want to use the drapes - green?
  • 12 years ago
    they both are navy blue. they also had them in gray and a cream with orange. I can't paint as I live in an apartment:/
  • 12 years ago
    Then a big picture that ties the navy and brown together. Love Sarah Moffat's Rainmaker but can't figure out how to attach. Look under Houzz artists.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you so much Lydia, I have been in love with those curtains forever! and i have plans on buying a lamp just like that. Thank you so muuch!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You're very welcome! I like those curtains also. I've seen them in person and the quality is decent for the price. Have fun decorating! :)
  • 12 years ago
    I like them much more knowing they are navy! I totally agree with Lydia's lighting concept - also bears72 idea for a large, bright piece of artwork - I'd incorporate a 3rd color & then bring that onto the sofa with throw pillows.
  • 12 years ago
    good idea about the 3rd color...maybe mustard..or fuschia?
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry and don't mean to highjack this discussion but when I was scanning the discussion lists I did a doubletake on last tacomagardengirl's comment. I read it as moustache instead of mustard and fushia and was wondering what in the world that color was.

    Now an actual suggestion, whether helpful or not, you can decide. You mentioned the curtains come in a cream with orange? That sounds like a fabulous combination to me and would enliven your room without having to paint. A few additional small pops of orange in vases or knicknacks and you have totally updated and energized your room. If you are purchasing locally, try bringing a set of each home and see which you feel most comfortable using.
  • 12 years ago
    Extend your curtain rod farther out so the curtains are actually in front of the wall vs the window and leave the sheers. It's an illusion that will also trick the eye to make the window seem to take the entire wall.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! I do want to add a second color. Fuschia sounds lovely! I was also thinking coral or a red? This are the curtains, I am going to try them as well. I thought they would look lovely too.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I like those. They will add a lot of energy and fun into the room. From your ideabook pictures, I would guess that you enjoy colors and lively but sophisticated atmospheres. I think this color would be right down your alley. Much younger vibe to it than using all navy. Use that red/coral color judiciously in other areas and you'll have a great space in no time. Keep us updated on what you decide.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Although I really like those curtains, I find they're too light (in weight and visually) for the couch and rug. I prefer the sophisticated simplicity of navy. Adding fuschia could be an interesting option though (and much more fun than red).
    sfigu16 thanked Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • 12 years ago
    I think it's going to boil down to personal choice. Mine is the light one; yours is obviously the dark. We shall look forward to sfigu16's decision. Either will be fine and serve her well.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love the dark navy drapes. I really feel you need the strong saturation of a dark color on that wall to balance the weight foumd in the rest of the room. I would not use light drapery since you are unable to paint a deeper color to get the visual weight that you need for the room for a good balance.

    Use them as outer edge trim and keep the sheers between. You can also buy an inexpensive pair of off white drapes to attach to the Navy drapes to give them a lining and more weight. They will appear more expensive.

    Also agree with 'kristylou', extending the rod wider on the wall to allow maiximum light for the room. Agree, I would add a 3rd warm color 'jebjwarren' said, to the mix, maybe 2 more bright colors.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the navy ones. The cream ones seem too light for the room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Some color suggestions for pillows
    Fabric Multi · More Info

    Fabric Blues and Navy · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would either start with a multi strong color Art or Pillow Fabric to bounce off of for the rest of the room's accessories and finishing elements.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Another note about the matching lamps. I would not go too matchy match. You will able to find lamps that work well in another complementary design to work with the drapes and rug.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you would like to go a step further, you could paint the coffee table the white from the rug color to give it more visual presence. It would be a nice contrast with the dark sofa and predominantly dark rug. The table looks new, just another option to consider.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you are handy, you can recover the current brown pillows with brighter fabrics.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Lb! I was also thinking about painting the table white. It makes the room looks dark and i want to lightening up a bit. I am going to buy fabric for two brown pillows i have, saves me money:) For the lamps, i want to keep it neutral nothing wild
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You're welcome sfigu16!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The fabrics I posted are from www.BeverlysFabrics.com. They are Batik prints. Very reasonable.
  • 12 years ago
    Put up a wider curtain rod and keep the sheers over the window. Hang the dark drapes to the sides, actually over the wall. I think they look great.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you love them - buy! Your room will be dark, but if you add sufficient lighting, the room will look great. Layered lighting is key. Add floor and/or table lights. If you have a ceiling junction box, add a chandelier. Put everything on dimmers. Add a good sized piece of artwork over the sofa and attach art lights. Create an arrangement of 3 columnar candles (battery operated are great - they come in a package of 3 in different sizes - perfect!) Add an uplight in the corner where you have the floor lamp. It will cast a soft glow to the room. If you have a pull up chair in the room, add a side table next to it with a reading lamp on it. Enjoy!
  • 12 years ago
    I have a side table that is navy blue, i want to paint it another color. Any suggestions?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I mentioned possibly painting the coffee table white. I would paint the end table white also.
  • 12 years ago
    white seams nice too..I want to add a little bit of pizzazz to it. any suggestions? I was thinking about giving it like a metal silver finish? its a tiny bookcase, it looks so nice!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    How about silver metallic paint. There are spray paints available at the hardware stores.
  • 12 years ago
    I was just going to suggest a silver metallic too. A little more current and sophisticated than white while achieving the same purpose of brightening the room.
  • 12 years ago
    wohoo! I am on my way to get the paint, I'll post a picture when I'm done:)
  • 12 years ago
    I got the curtains!
  • 12 years ago
    guys i think the rug makes my room really dark, i was wondering if i could change the rug to a beige or grey one? I want to keep the curtains !
  • 12 years ago
    Before buying new rug, I recommend a huge mirror above the sofa. You'll be surprised at how much brighter your room will be with the reflection of light. I'm a huge fan of navy :)
  • 12 years ago
    I am too! I just don't like how the two colors look together, they are both different shades! but I am definitely doing the mirror
  • 12 years ago
    Early on you posted the off white drapes with the orange pattern. Would that help to lighten the room and still not have to worry about matching the navy?
  • 12 years ago
    i tried them but I'm just so in love with the navy blue curtains. I think I'm going to move the rug to my room and get a lighter rug.
  • 12 years ago
    BTW, thank you a for all the help!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    As long as you have enough lighting in the room, it's not necessary to move the rug. Bring in light accessories as well like toss pillows, a throw over the arm of a chair, a vase with bright flowers. A mirror adds light and sparkle. It doesn't take much to add brightness to a room.
    sfigu16 thanked Robin Lechner Designs