Software
Houzz Logo Print
kao7

Kitchen backsplash

12 years ago
I chose two different stones for the backsplash, thinking it would be a neat look but I'm not sure I even like it now that it's on the wall. I have thought of the extra cleaning involved with stacked stone and I'm ok with that so please don't use that as a deciding factor. Going on looks alone :) Following is the kitchen and then the two options. Please help by voting and if you have comments too I would love them! Thanks so much!!
As is
Remove subway tile and do whole kitchen in stacked stone.

Comments (25)

  • 12 years ago
    I don't see the subway tile, can you post a closer picture?
    kao7 thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    It looks like it is stacked stone under and around where the hood is going to be and subway on either side under the cabinets....if this is correct I vote 2. Make it all stacked stone.
    kao7 thanked igb2htalmh
  • 12 years ago
    I'd like to see a larger picture. Also, from what I can see, the hood isn't in yet. That will make it a focal point.
    kao7 thanked Molly Barr
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    All stacked stone
    kao7 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for all the input! Attached is a bigger pic. Let me know if that helps. Also attached is the copper hood that will be going in soon. Thanks all!
  • 12 years ago
    The last one doesn't look like it worked...
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, I see now, but they look like they blend with each other quite well. It looks pretty good in the pictures. Is it weird in person?
  • 12 years ago
    Nice kitchen, by the way.
  • 12 years ago
    I just feel like they're so similar in profile that it almost looks like a mismatch. If the stacked was more rough then it would be better but their profiles are so similar. I like the tone of the subway but I like the finish of the stacked stone. And thank you for the compliment! I will post when it's completed ... AND CLEAN! Haha
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Before you do anything else have a look at metallic finished tiles. They are available in lots of finishes and can be installed on top of existing tile. By selecting a decorative rosette or acanthus leaf tile and placing them in a few locations you can have alot more oomph. For instance, take a rectanglular copper tile and install one every 12-18" roughly 6" above the counter top all the way around the room. Try a group in a symetrical layout just above the cooktop.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Stacked stone looks better !
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'd like to see the backsplash stay consistent across all walls to keep it clean and chic. It's beautiful stacked stone!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree that the stacked stone looks better!
  • 12 years ago
    My design."....background tells me that the stacked stone should
    Also on be the backsplash
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi. I was in a hurry yesterday and neglected to tell you why I would choose the stacked stone:

    -using both is not working, as there is only a slight differentiation from a distance, causing the eye to detect something off-balance, not a design change.

    -the subway tile is very busy. It has both cream and gray and the grout lines, and overwhelms the granite.

    -the stacked stone has mainly the cream color, so is not fighting with the granite.

    Cabinets: I would either move them up to the ceiling or add crown at the top (probably easier to add crown at the top, rather then moving them up and then having to add trim for the appliances to fit also).

    That small of space above the cabinets, especially with the dark paint just does not give you a clean look AND it is a dusting nightmare.

    Beautiful kitchen.
  • 12 years ago
    I voted for the stacked stone as well
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks so much everyone. CDR Designs, thank you, your comment pushed me over the fence. Switching to stacked throughout. We did add crown, although it's not as big as we would have wished and the paint color is being changed to Functional Gray from it's current 75% Gauntlet Gray so it will be a bit more warm and less dark. We are also installing beams in the kitchen which is why we left the space at the top. I think you're spot on with your ideas. Thank you again! Will post pix of the finished product.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Paint is better choice.



    [houzz=
    SW7024 Functional Gray - Sherwin-Williams · More Info
    ]
    kao7 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the input everyone! I'm SO much happier with it. Paint hasn't been changed yet but it's coming in the next days.
  • 12 years ago
    Another
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes, much better than that chopped up look!
  • 12 years ago
    Looks great!
  • 12 years ago
    Final photo! Thanks for all your help. Just awaiting pendants now and we are moving the micro/oven from above counter to below.
  • 12 years ago
    Open, as usual, to any easily changeable ideas to improve the space :)