Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitchell_parker

What Home Projects are You Looking Forward to this Spring and Summer?

Mitchell Parker
10 years ago
When the ground thaws (hopefully) and the sun begins to peek out (hopefully), what home projects do you like to tackle in the Spring and Summer months? Tell us what will be in the works in and around your home and why.

(Photos encouraged)

My Houzz: A Modern Marvel Among Historic Mansions in Pittsburgh · More Info

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Definitely outdoor projects, looking at replacing plants that didn't make it through the winter :-(
    Mitchell Parker thanked Dytecture
  • Rachel H
    10 years ago
    I'm getting my first estimate tomorrow on a total-gut master bath re-do. Any bets on how much it'll be?
    Mitchell Parker thanked Rachel H
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    The usual, trim roses, put out the pre- emergent for the crabgrass, re- mulch. Work myself silly trying to have grass. Seriously thinking about bringing in a landscaper this fall to rework the yard and create less maintenance.
    Mitchell Parker thanked grobby
  • rredpenn
    10 years ago
    I don't know how much longer we can stand the railroad tie wall along our driveway. It's not pretty; it's rotting, and succumbing to gravity. We need to gut it and replace it with interlocking landscape block. But this will be messy, disruptive and expensive, so... who knows if it will become a real project or still a fantasy one? Partly what is keeping us from committing to it now, is that we also need to redo the entire front entry, and we'd like to do that with the same block so that it all looks great together. Then there is the back yard... :)
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    As soon as the ground thaws, whoever gives me the best quote for the landscaping will be starting on the project. It's going to be a pretty large landscaping project (front yard and back yard) and a bit of hardscaping, just to tie in with the existing one. I'll finally have my own mini Longwood:)
  • Sarah
    10 years ago
    We hope to put in a couple more trees: paperbark maple & kousa dogwood. Some more landscaping to complete the design we started a year & a half ago. This warm spell in NE is making me itch to get back in the garden! I know it's WAY too early to do any real work out there though.

Once it's warmer, I'll finish up painting the windows we had installed 2 summers ago. Just the interior side needs painting, thankfully. I don't do ladders :) And I need to do some touch up painting of walls. Our upstairs bath needs gutting, but our bank account can't handle that just yet. So we hope to change out the sink at least. It's a terrible sink from the early '70's that's too low, too crumbly & way too drippy.

We probably have to re-stain the front steps & back deck, too. And re-paint the iron outdoor furniture. Wow. Looks like I'll be busy this year. Again!
  • Luciana
    10 years ago
    Outdoor project as well!
    We finished the hardscape of our small back garden in late October ( https://www.houzz.com/discussions/small-garden-dsvw-vd~502445) and with all the rain here, there was no time for planting and (last coat) painting. I'm looking forward to some nice sunny days when I can be outdoors playing in the mud :)) - I've managed to convince hubby to let me do the planting instead of hiring someone 'to do it perfectly'. Who cares about perfection when you can have some fun!?!
    (signed: a rather bored housewife)
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    Luciana, your backyard already looks great. You don't need anyone to come and plant a few flowers. Get what you like in the colors that you like and you'll see how much fun you'll have:)
    Mitchell Parker thanked printesa
  • mdnotdr
    10 years ago
    We have several large projects planned for the spring...finishing the front patio (a diy project), tearing down our huge, raised, rotting deck and having a huge, raised patio put in with a room built under part of it, having carpet torn out of the 3 main rooms and replaced with hardwood floors, and replacing most of the floor to ceiling window glass in the living room, master bedrm., and master bath. I am feeling equal amounts of dread and excitement!
    Mitchell Parker thanked mdnotdr
  • Bonnie Blain
    10 years ago
    restain the deck and add some fresh topsoil and transplant some hostas and bank up some new areas and add more detail, maybe take out a rotten tree and add some detail by the road, maybe a bench for someone to rest on as they walk to the Provincial park at the end of our road
    Mitchell Parker thanked Bonnie Blain
  • Eugenio Aburto
    10 years ago
    My project is improving my CRCM (Concrete Rib Construction Method) to build more hoses natural disasters resistant, to cop with whit the fires destroying houses.
    To use to rebuild Fire Proof, earthquake, tornado, hurricanes, even mold and termites dwellings to keep people out of trouble by loosing asset, memorabilia, some times life.
    at lower cost than wood framing.
    Mitchell Parker thanked Eugenio Aburto
  • vintagebookie
    10 years ago
    Need new pergola but am so wanting something different,creative and unusual,with an old-fashioned feel.Our house is a cottage built in 1925.Any ideas would be so appreciated.
    Mitchell Parker thanked vintagebookie
  • mibow
    10 years ago
    We've got a retaining wall we've got to repair/replace....A big project! Hubby used to be a licensed builder, and we have 3 sons and 1 son in law to help......
    Mitchell Parker thanked mibow
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I have a hug backyard that I had given to the dogs but this past summer I separated it with a fence and closed in my garden, put a new door into my patio so that I have a complete yard to myself. Would like to do a walk path to my garden, put in a zen garden that will sit below my window that I see when I sit at my computer and redo my vegetable garden.
  • Kim D
    10 years ago
    I Injured my Rotator Cuff last summer manually chopping down overgrown hedges. I finally scheduled a physical therapy appointment for this Friday to start rehab. I am scared to death that I will miss the whole season this year because I can't dig, chop or rake without pain. I live in New England its a really short growing season. I have big plans for new plantings in the newly barren areas I created.
  • larrygettle
    10 years ago
    My summer project is going to be a leanto greenhouse attached to the garden shed. I have a few inspiration photos from houzz and a willing son to dig the foundation. Before picture, I will post the after when done.
  • Melanie Dausch
    10 years ago
    My spring project is to enlarge the flower garden in front of house. Get rid of evergreen (It was my first in my first house:( but its time. I have black plastic on grass since end of fall so hopefully grass will be easy to cut out!! And then plant plant plant want to have some native grass thats low. Any ideas???
  • Melanie Dausch
    10 years ago
    Kim D I know how you feel my shoulder is so messed up I went to DR. need MRI but afraid of missing spring!!
  • Kim D
    10 years ago
    Melanie Dausch, I'm thinking of using taskrabbit to find people that will do the heavy lifting (spring clean-up) for me so I can save my arm for the fun stuff.
  • Sam Hill
    10 years ago
    Hopefully the addition of a cart lodge, and the conversion of our large garage into a music room/ library.
  • floridagal513
    10 years ago
    Hopefully a paver patio in the backyard!!
  • Cathy DiVello
    10 years ago
    I want to renovate my unheated mudroom at the back of the house. It's too cold for a laundry room, but here in the bitter cold NE we need space for boots and ski gear. So, painting, taking down old shelves, adding shelving in a closet for bulk paper goods and soda 12 packs, trying to make it look inviting and practical.
  • Eugenio Aburto
    10 years ago
    Cathy, if you want to have a very insulated room, I suggest to build using my CRCM building method, it is less expensive to build and can have walls and roof with an insulation factor minimum of R56. If you send me in graph paper want you want, and how cold can be there, I can send you a solution (free) by drawings and cost estimate, you can use a contractor or do yourself, is very simple; and I can give some support if you needed, send me your information to: aburtoeugenioarcg@hotmail.com, I can send you a video about what is CRCM.
    This offering is general to any person thinking on improving their habitat with little money, only ask me.
    Thanks,
  • PRO
    WARNDORF REMODEL & DESIGN
    10 years ago
    We've been busy with bathrooms and basements this Winter (it is sooo cold out there) ...those cool/crisp Spring mornings are great to start decks, patios, and room additions!
  • feathercd
    10 years ago
    Complete kitchen remodel. Just went over the final plans with my designer. I am so happy to have had her advice.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Lurching through the rest of my whole-house.... and as for outside, getting my plant starts hardened off and planted, seeing if we win or lose on the peach blooms (either a last frost gets them, if it doesn't, we get a load of peaches.... it's like a lottery)
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    I had plans to do landscaping, deck railing, etc, but have just had a basement inspection. It looks like I will be getting the west wall of my basement replaced and the rest of it fixed up in a rudimentary way (re-insulated and re floored) for storage :-(. Will do my pots and fun flower, herb and veggie planting for one more year.
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    10 years ago
    Finish up the whole house renovation. New electrical, new HVAC,, new roofing, windows are done, drywall, new flooring, new kitchen, new bath.......and then on to the outside. Paint, and total redo the landscaping.
  • PRO
    Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
    10 years ago
    The first thing I need to do is move the bird feeders to the other side of the yard. The messy sunflower remains are piling up and it's so cold I can't get out there to sweep them up. The next project is to re stain the shed. That will take me about 4 days. After I do that I can play with my little rock bird bath that I made for the birds to swim in. Then mulch. Then I will touch up the deck stain, and hopefully it won't be too bad since I re stained the whole thing last July. I can't wait. I enjoyed reading all of the above comments. Thank you for cheering me up. :)
  • twosavoie
    10 years ago
    Melanie, instead of digging the grass, lay down newspaper or cardboard and top with mulch. You could also build up the beds by topping the cardboard with dirt. When you plant, cut through the cardboard if it hasn't decomposed yet. It is much easier and better for the soil. Good luck. If you wanted to research look for "no dig" or "lasagna" gardening.
  • geunderwood
    10 years ago
    I want to finish my laundry area, take out carpet in livingroom and diningroom and see what the hardwood floors look like and redo my enclosed porch and backyard. Whew!
  • unruli
    10 years ago
    Finish up this place and get it on the market so we can be out from under it when the new house build is done. There's SO MUCH TO DO for both houses that it would be too depressing to list it all.
  • bethiniowa
    10 years ago
    Yes, the no-dig way is easy and works pretty well. If you've had black plastic down since fall, you could remove that and put down a layer of compost (your local landfill might sell this). If the grass is still long, you could mow it super short before adding the compost. then just plant in the compost, which will eventually work its way down into your soil.
  • gbogle22
    10 years ago
    Oh, where to start! I want to get the popcorn off my bedroom ceiling, put more dirt in the flower bed I started last fall, clean out the flower bed in the back yard, take down the back porch (it's disintegrating before my eyes), and if there's time start a tulip garden next to my front walk. Oh I almost forgot the big project will be having all 19 trees trimmed.
  • maarivekki
    10 years ago
    two projects!
    - re-arrange and simplify the garden, with the help of a gardener
    - rent or buy an existing addition bordering on our garden; this will make a wonderful store, library and even serve as an outhouse
    (IF the latter project succeeds, then we'll free a lot of space in the house and make more plans).
  • Danielle Polizzano
    10 years ago
    I want to build a raised bed/planter. and lots and lots of gardening and yard work!!!
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I just enjoy eating outside and watching my urban chickens run around!