Software
Houzz Logo Print
kftell

Need help to pull this family room together

12 years ago
Anyone have suggestions about wall, rug and throw pillow colors (or anything else) that would pull this together better? Lighting is tough today so photos aren't great, but it's a navy sectional, green chairs and seagrass coffee table (though that could go). Many thanks!

Comments (13)

  • 12 years ago
    You have a beautiful room and I like your color choices. Do you really want to paint the walls? And I agree, the ottoman/coffee table could go. Something softer in a pretty floral print would look nice unless you were thinking wooden.

    The rug depends on the size of room between sectional and fireplace. What do you prefer, solid or patterned?
    kftell thanked unwantedadvice
  • 12 years ago
    Your room is beautiful, I love the wonderful architectural details. The floors are also very nice but if you're wanting a rug think about a navy and white stripe. Add throw pillows that tie together your navy and green. A few tweaks and your room will be perfect.
  • 12 years ago
    kftell, your room is exceptional...from the ceiling to the floors...love your color choices also...very fresh looking and all goes well with the tan walls.
    kftell thanked edithsmom
  • 12 years ago
    Great colors!
    From pic the coffee table looks too large, replace with two square tables wood/glass, maybe rattan/wicker.
    I like your wall color, but you could add a pop of color with a colorful area rug. Place a leaner lamp on the sofa table. Declutter the family pictures, vary the hts, pictures frames need to have a cohesive look, pick 1-3 three different frame finishes. You could place some of the picture frames on sofa table.
    Good luck!
    kftell thanked Marla Gervich
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you! Your observations are so accurate it's as though you've been here. I'm glad that you all think the wall color is okay. This room is tough for me. We had to tear out, rebuild and refurnish after Sandy, so I too the opportunity to try our 4th wall color in this room in 9 years. Unwantedadvice -- I struggle with the rug (solid vs. pattern, something like sisal vs something that pops like Bluenan's stripes). Love your idea of a softer look for the coffee table. Bluenan -- I looked at a coffee table just like the one you suggested, but we have a lots of boating paraphernalia around the house, so everyone thought the steamer trunk was too much. Your fabric picks are inspiring. Practical Design -- Now that you've mentioned it, I wonder how I didn't see that that coffee table was oversized. That table has been bugging me for six months, but I couldn't figure out why until you told me!. Love the idea of smaller square tables for the space. Would you put them right against one another or have one for each wing of the sectional? You're right about the family photos. It's a hot, scattered mess right now. You're also right about the lamp -- that was supposed to go between the green chairs to bring blue over there. Now I'll have to look for a slender green. Or ...

    Here's my (maybe) last question for this generous brain trust ... I'm yearning to add a coral color for pop. In the rug? The new coffee table? Or accessories like throw pillows? (though it's hard to pass up Bluenan's pillow concept). Would that be a mistake?

    Lastly, I couldn't get a good picture of the view from the fourth side of the room when the sun was out, so I've attached two below. It drives me crazy not to be able to understand the four sides of a room and I didn't want to drive you guys crazy. Many thanks for your generosity in helping a total stranger!
  • 12 years ago
    This is probably totally random.....

    When I first saw your room it reminded me a little of a room designer sherry hart posted on her blog 'design indulgence' last week. Maybe if you check it out it may give you some ideas of how to pull the room together. She used purple as the accent colour but you could switch that out for something else.

    http://designindulgence.blogspot.com.au/search?updated-max=2014-01-20T08:05:00-05:00&max-results=7
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Maybe try blue and white striped - love the idea of adding some coral touches - http://www.pinterest.com/pin/132785888987759009/
  • 12 years ago
    Place the two end tables side by side, facing the chairs, just be cautious of the table height, not too tall.

    Yes to Coral! It think it would look great in your space. I too have wanted to use in my home decor and from what I've found, the Coral can either come in an orange or pink/raspberry/red hue. Due to your wood floors, I recommend going with pink/raspberry/red Coral undertones. Use this color in your throw pillows, area rug and/or drapery panels. You have plenty of bold colors, so use the Coral in small doses.

    Can you swap out the two lamps? The one from the buffet, use on the sofa table? Shade still might be too big....

    With removing the current coffee table, you'll loose texture. Add the texture back in the space with the throw pillows, drapes and/or area rug. The drapes could be a neutral shade with a jute trim.

    Are you looking for a print or mirror above the buffet piece? Maybe an oversized mirror framed in shells? Or create a collage of art work

    You're on the right path, just a few adjustments. Really like the Coral idea
  • 12 years ago
    I like it as it is. A nice dark wood coffee table would be lovely. And some of your walls are bare and need some art. Like where your wood cabinet is, move the art piece over it and leave the wall by the doors bare. Lovely. Love the cushions recommended above. Would definitely tie your furniture together!
  • 12 years ago
    As far as rental v. Not..what about taking 2 months security plus damage security?
  • 12 years ago
    Go reclaimed wood coffee table square. Add a big bowl fill with sand and seashells, on top. On sofa add more white and green like chairs pillows. on chairs add a navy pillows. On console behind sofa add big pieces of coral and big sea shells. Nice room.
  • 12 years ago
    I just finishing sewing two 18x18" pillow covers as a part of my spring/summer collection that would be a great match with your chair and sofa colors. Contact me if you would like to set up a custom order through my Etsy shop. Here's a picture of the fabric.