Software
Houzz Logo Print
anelajakupovic

Need help with our living room

12 years ago
This is our second living room. It is very plain, and I am stuck.. Just don't know what to do with it.. Help!!

Comments (23)

  • 12 years ago
    I think the room is beautiful. You have very nice furniture. Some live plants, larger indoor tree or greenery might add a nice element.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry to say so but it looks sterile. I also think there are too many squares/rectangles. I would replace the coffee table with an oval, glass topped one as the current one looks very heavy and dark and it is is all a bit too matchy ,matchy with the side tables. I personally would inject an accent color. to brighten things up and would replace with the vase of twigs in the corner with a tall live pot plant. I also would replace the mirror ( which is not reflecting anything visually appealing) with a colourful work of art
    anelajakupovic thanked 2dogssashatess
  • 12 years ago
    ps you could also rearrange your cushions for a more lived in look, consider replacing some of them with a different brighter accent color. Currently this space looks very impersonal, it could be anyones house. Some drapes might help soften the look
    anelajakupovic thanked 2dogssashatess
  • 12 years ago
    I was thinking of adding of adding olive color as an accent.. Maybe some olive pillows?
  • 12 years ago
    you are right, I do need pop of color.. I was thinking olive or yellow... Any suggestions?
  • 12 years ago
    perhaps you could show us a sample cushion
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would purchase larger lamps with either and wooden or metal base. I agree with the greenery idea.A nice palm tree would be nice instead of the vase with bamboo sticks.

    I would also add some shimmer and shine with a gold glass bowl, candles or cushions. You need a third colour
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with swag2312 larger lamps would be an improvement
  • 12 years ago
    The paint is throwing the room off. I would paint the walls a vibrant color to make the furniture pop. ( maybe a color that you have in other rooms in your house) Put a similar color tray on the leather ottoman and call it a day. The furniture and other accents are beautiful.
  • 12 years ago
    ...... I would also get larger lamps. Maybe replace the mirror with a large piece of artwork to add interest
  • 12 years ago
    How about painting the walls? An accent wall behind the sofa, and add new throw cushions in different colors...add a nice green plant and replace the mirror with a statement piece of art.
    anelajakupovic thanked Denyse Ewe
  • 12 years ago
    Also a nice rug to add color and interest.
  • 12 years ago
    I like you paint color, but I think you could get away with a darker, more dramatic color.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes a more statement making rug would be good too
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I am seeing two different lamps in the pics. Actually, I think the tables may be too low beside the couch. They need to be higher to easily grab a glass, and if they were higher, the lamps might be just fine.

    BEAUTIFUL window area with the chairs right there......make sure they are tight to the table as shown in the one picture. And make sure there is room on the table for a glass to be placed, too.

    Not sure what the piece is across from the window......I see a black console???? But not sure of the size. Would the mirror fit over THAT so it could reflect the outdoors? If not, and you want it behind the couch as it is a good size for it, it should be lowered to 6-8 inches from the back of it. That will change the proportions on that wall, too.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the room a bunch! Perhaps a light teal or aqua accent pillow or throw! A beautiful neutral start!
  • 12 years ago
    I would put some artwork on both sides of the mirror and a taller, fuller flower arrangement in between the two chairs. That throw blanket I would put that on the sofa not the table.
  • 12 years ago
    It doesn't necessarily have to be a rust color, but this will give you an idea of how a couple gallons of paint would totally change the feel of the room.
  • 12 years ago
    I think you'd end up with a cozier, warmer, more inviting room going with a darker, more dramatic color.
  • 12 years ago
    Scale and furniture positioning can be improved. Wall color is fine. Sofa and chairs should be closer together to create conversation area. Bring chairs onto rug. Put art above sofa at a lower height and pulls colors from art into pillows.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the calm, peaceful basis of this room. Art would go a long way toward personalizing the look, if you move the mirror to another wall and replace it with one large piece or a pair or other grouping (could be photos, paintings, fabric art). Place a colorful tray on the ottoman/table? You could also replace the cabinet on the left with a taller one that has shelves, or add a bookshelf cube on top of it, and arrange it with some books and other items, but that would be more time-consuming with less "pop" than changing the mirror; if you do that, move the vase with the sticks. I like what you have--the room just needs a little color. Let your personality show!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I always love groveraxle's photo suggestions. I certainly agree that pops of color in accessories such as pillows and artwork will go a long way and add some life to your beautiful monochrome room. :)