Software
Houzz Logo Print
jannnnn

dow do i deal with this bowling alley wall and this picture?!

12 years ago
i purchased this picture today and I am so frustrated i cant get the artwork- wall figured out from the dining room to living room- The wall feels like a bowling alley- should i do a long mirror as you can see i have lots of city view that can be reflected- also in the the wall above the buffet i was thinking of doing mirrors would that be too much?

Please any suggestions or critiques are welcomed!

Comments (88)

  • 12 years ago
    thats very cool Question--if i did mirrors and prints above the dr table and then kept the pics on the buffet do u think it will get too cluttered? and how did you get that picture do
    that? Magic!
  • 12 years ago
    Ps- The plant is not mine im trying to bring it back to life for a lady in the building-
  • 12 years ago
    better?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    How sweet of you.....it looks like the plant is going to be ok, too. And I do like the buffet right now....a lot! I did not even really notice before what the content was of the larger picture and I like how it plays with the other decor right there. I am also a fan of white on white. It works!
    jannnnn thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    its coming along i think i will put a picture ledge up along the sofa- that way if i change my mind on art work That way I am not putting extra holes in the wall-and driving my husband crazy!
  • 12 years ago
    Where would the ledge go?
  • 12 years ago
    i thought id put it above the sofa ( low) maybe 6 inches above- i originally was going to layer a couple of prints one big and a smaller one- I am still tossed the big rectangular mirror as suggested before?
  • 12 years ago
    And so you would not use that original piece of art at all? Boo hoo!
  • 12 years ago
    -- I am tossed- Not 100% percent if I love it! I think i need to hang it or leanit-
    Also If I put mirrors over my desk another mirror over my sofa might be too much?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Only one wall gets mirrors in an area.....my rule, of course, but it would be mirror overload.

    A mirror over your couch reflects the tv.....not a big deal....can't even watch two channels that way! A mirror over your desk reflects that view. SCORE! I know you would sit and see yourself while working, but seeing the view reflected would make work easier!!!
    jannnnn thanked abbyjean
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I really like houssaon's idea of a color block on the wall behind the sofa for the big horizontal art to rest against, and then another over the breakfast table for art and mirrors!

    You need the big piece of art over the sofa. You also need separation of the living room from the breakfast area. I would leave the two pieces of art that are in the breakfast area at the end of the room and then add the small mirrors and artwork to which houssaon refers.
    jannnnn thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 12 years ago
    thanks ill keep u posted on whats next!!
  • 12 years ago
    what do u think of one modern round mirror( not small either over the kitchen table or desk- im thinking the kitchen it will go with round table and do a gallery over the desk?

    I found a round mirror that has a silver or stainless steel frame i thought might go good there - its a super deal on a renovation that they bought too many-
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'd like the mirror over the round table.
    jannnnn thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 12 years ago
    thanks thats encouraging!!
  • 12 years ago
    I love the painting over the couch where you have it. How abot a metal type of artwork over the table?
    jannnnn thanked toomanywhitewalls
  • 12 years ago
    thats an idea- it just finding one that i like?
  • 12 years ago
    Do you have a kirklands? They always have nice metal type art.

    http://www.kirklands.com/thumbnail/Wall-Decor/Art/Metal-Art/pc/2283/c/2293/2315.uts?i=1&q=*&q1=Wall+Decor&q2=Art&q3=Metal+Art&store=1&type=nav&x1=category_level_1&x2=category_level_2&x3=category_level_3&count=100&page=1
  • 12 years ago
    thanks ill check it out
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Would you consider trees on either side of the sofa, that would break up the space and add some oxygen to your room?
  • 12 years ago
    what kinda trees? i know it needs something? i was tthinking a end table-- havent found one yet- but open??
  • 12 years ago
    the mirror i was thinking in the dining room or deskarea is 36 inches in diameter is that too big the table is 36 in round
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    With these sorts of spaces you want to define the different areas. When you don't define it starts feeling like a bowling alley.

    Put two distinct pieces of art in the dining and living areas. Use area rugs as well, if you like them. Try keeping the paintings very simple, though. You don't want it feeling cluttered with how small it is.
    jannnnn thanked Ashley Malowaniuk
  • 12 years ago
    so u dont hink the mirror in the dining room is a good idea? i havent bought it im thinking its probably too big as big as the kitchen table?- out of scale-
  • 12 years ago
    Houssaon is spot on in my opinion. Loved the way a mock up was done for you. There are many fine colors in the picture to work from. The picture is great with your sofa and even pillows...go with your gut...keep it and add the color blocking behind it. I would take it a step further and introduce color to the buffet wall in your eating area. I would not match the living room color but take another strong color from the painting.
    Remember that color draws the eye and can draw you into the space and make it seem larger...this would apply to eating area wall.
    My choice for what it is worth is a mustard yellow like your garden stool in the living room and a cobalt blue on the eating area wall.
    Please keep us posted on how you decide to treat the spaces.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Have you tried positioning the painting VERTICALLY?

    Also, the spaces need some distinction. I lived in a high-rise condo that was 36-feet long like a cave, sliders/balcony at one end, single-wall kitchen at the other. It was painted white, but the previous occupant had painted a band of light gray up one wall, across the ceiling and down the other wall. It was 10-feet wide and did wonders to define spaces.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great selection for the artwork! I would definitely hang that, then maybe try getting some more smaller pieces that compliment that and make a gallery wall. You can add some mirrors, it doesn't have to be all art. It will give the space some more depth.
    jannnnn thanked Design Elements
  • 12 years ago
    I think you shoud keep the art above the sofa, change your dark pillows for something like this goldish (Pier 1), some flowers in the center table, for diningroom you can paint walls or wall paper with the blue- turquise is show in your painting, it will look good with your white frames and white elements and a big mirrow to help the dinningroom look bigger.
    jannnnn thanked Milly Vildozola
  • 12 years ago
    This color wall can go beautiful too , in your bouffet table a round mirrow and two lamps
  • 12 years ago
    Love your gold accents. I would bring in a few of the blue as well. A vase and a throw? Houssaon's idea to add a vertical gold stripe behind the painting is a great way to break up the length of that wall and highlight your painting
  • 12 years ago
    I have been enjoying this conversation! If you are planning to add tall plants to your area, I would suggest the fiddle leaf fig. It is a member of the ficus family and is relatively easy to care for, plus it looks gorgeous. Sorry, don't have a good pic, mine are relatively small yet. Search houzz for fiddle leaf fig tree and you will find some nice pics. Good luck and I hope you post the final results.
    jannnnn thanked venusalderman
  • 12 years ago
    I just saw this posting and haven't read all the way through it yet but what quickly comes to mind is...have you considered displaying the art work vertically? If over the desk it might work better (it is a lovely piece by the way). Over the sofa you could offset it to one side and add a collection of smaller pieces on the other in a well balanced display using co-ordinating colors. Also between your table and sofa you might consider a room divider, either full height or at least tall. It only has to be one panel wide (depending on the width of the panel) and permanently attached to the wall...co-ordinating is style and color of course and even possibly see through in design (like open fretwork for example). This could give the illusion of a separate zone so to speak and visually provide a more defined space for your art work. Hope these ideas help or at least contribute to another idea for your. Good luck.
    jannnnn thanked gabby2427
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    In the dining area, I'd try to find a tall mirror that's framed with the blue colors from your painting. The mirror would help to open & lighten up that area, reflect your fantastic skyline view, & the blue frame would make a subtle connection to your artwork. Place the mirror (which would be 1/3-/1/2 the width of the buffet) to the right, and get a taller/thinner lamp to the left (what you have is too short and squat). Place some beautiful tall art glass on the right side of the buffet that also picks up colors from the artwork. (find another place for those pictures- that's too much for that small space). Paint the area where the dining table is a very soft mustard yellow (also paint the wall where you have the garden stool and your white desk the same color- you'll then see two walls the same color but at different distances and angles- gorgeous!) . A grouping for 4 square prints (they'd form a square visually) would look great (again, pulling colors from the main artwork). Paint the wall behind the buffet and again behind the sofa a much lighter tone of gray (the white wall is too stark). I wouldn't do the mustard yellow behind the sofa because it seems to visually" come forward" thus making the room look even more narrow. The yellow mustard brightness is needed in the dining area. If you think the horizontal picture still doesn't "fill" the space enough, you can add a narrow vertical mirror on either side ( they would not reflect the TV) to add some sparkle and shine. Careful of the framing, though- you still want to keep that modern look!
    If you can, swap out your round dining table for one that's a rectangle in glass and chrome that would go with your coffee table. What you have now crowds the area and doesn't fit the other pieces. Get some colored pillows/throw to bring warmth to the sofa.
    Put your TV on the wall for better balance, and then you have space on the cabinets underneath for books, etc.. In the corner by the window & cabinets a large piece of greenery would be nice, as well as some greenery and color on the coffee table.
    Let us all know how you decided to finish this lovely room and send pictures!
    jannnnn thanked ichh
  • 12 years ago
    You have a wonderful room! Add splashes of color with pillows, flower arrangements, a FEW knick knacks. Hang the art work on its vertical side and add a couple of round or smaller pictures in a group. I wouldn't paint. The nice neutrals will give your pillows, etc. a great backdrop to really pop! That view should be the centerpiece of the room. It's terrific!
    jannnnn thanked Ranee Randby
  • 12 years ago
    I think what you need on the long wall is to break it up visually into smaller sections. A tall piece of furniture, such as a secretary, between the living room and dining room might do the trick.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The piece of art fits the contemporary style you have. However, it's the proportion is not correct with the size of that wall. There are a few different ways to go about that. You could purchase a large square piece of art that is at least twice as big as the one you have pictured. You could group "like" pieces of art, including your piece, that expands the area of wall over the sofa grouping. And, a color block behind the sofa creates a nice visual for the art piece. I see Houssan also suggest a color block. However, you may want to pick up a color from nature to connect you with your outdoor view.
    jannnnn thanked Finstads Carpet One
  • 12 years ago
    Without reading the entire string of comments. Can you hang the large picture vertically between the sectional and dinning area on the long wall? Introducing more furniture is going to tighten the space even more
    jannnnn thanked jackake
  • 12 years ago
    Does the couch have to go on the wall? You could swing it around and make it a separate space with the desk under the painting.
    jannnnn thanked wendybuckley
  • 12 years ago
    You have 80% of this room done! I love the color houssaon placed on the long wall. It INSTANTLY warmed up the space. Go for the whole wall, drawing the two spaces together. It will allow the gray sofa and the white dinette to pop! I like the painting over the sofa, and the grouped artwork on the buffet in the dining space. Add a lamp on that buffet for ambient light. Maybe also add a band of gold on the large floor arced lamp. It will enliven it, too. Then, throw a vase or pot or a couple of similar things on the media wall, and voila! magic!
  • 12 years ago
    You have a lovely space and the colours in your artwork work beautifully with your sofa. You don't need more furniture as it will feel cramped, just use your vertical space:

    Hang the striped artwork about 6-8 inches above the sofa.

    Add visual height to your small dining space with a tall mirror over the buffet. Hang it on the wall with a portrait orientation. This will reflect the window/light/city.

    Add a couple of small bits of artwork at eye level by your dining table.

    Add 2 pieces of artwork (black and white cityscape prints?), stacked one on top of the other, over your white computer desk.
    jannnnn thanked Kicksychick
  • 12 years ago
    Just had to chime in... I'd buy that silver framed round mirror and put it over the credenza in the dining room as long as it's large enough to make a statement. It would pull that metal element into the dining room to match your cocktail table. Paint that wall first in one of the colors from the painting. Then put your painting over the sofa as originally planned in a colorblock as previously suggested. Add two black and white framed photographs over the desk. Make sure they're also large enough to look balanced in the room.
    jannnnn thanked Sue
  • 12 years ago
    Take a bit of all suggestions and your own... I like the idea of the block colour with the artwork over the sofa, like Houssaon suggested. Also I think repeating the table with the same size mirror on the wall would be fun! Like a shell opening up to reveal the morsels inside. The way the light from the kitchen catches the wall above the table means that the light would be reflected by a mirror over that table, so it would make the DR area brighter. Add a nice tall plant between the sofa and the DR area and you're all done!

    If you don't want to use paint to define the spaces, then you could also consider the option of hanging the art work on it's side, vertically, between the sofa and DR area so that IT becomes the divide...?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Have you tried swapping the positions of the sideboard and the dining table with chairs? If the sideboard sits comfortably between the two areas, you could mount the painting horizontally over the sideboard and it could be seen from the table and from the sofa.
    jannnnn thanked Pat Oliver Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    I like the panting idea. I would not put up a mirror because I think it would be distracting and may take away from that amazing view. I would go with the painting but I feel you need a longer one because of how long the couch is.
  • 12 years ago
    Just curious - what's on the wall opposite the windows where I see the yellow ceramic seat? I too have a long room and have "squared" it up by placing a focal point in the form of a side board with art and accessories on the short wall of the rectangle. A sectional lounge suite is difficult in these areas as placement is limited. I found that a smaller 3-seater sofa with occasional arm chairs allowed more flexibility. I was wondering if you removed the unit where the tv is, mounted the tv on the wall opposite the windows, had a smaller sofa placed across the windows but forward to allow access and a couple of occasional chairs with a coffee table in the middle to make a 3-sided conversation area. Good idea above to move the sideboard out of the dining area and into the lounge area as suggested above especially as there would be more space with the tv unit removed. PS I love the artwork you purchased. Anyway it's all food for thought!
    jannnnn thanked jayvee1
  • 12 years ago
    thanks for all the suggestions so far i was out of town so just getting back to finishing our apartment just so u all know the entertainment area are we just installed it and it has tons of storage and is attached to the walls and we both love it- as far as the sofa it cant go any other way - The small white desk is my little office and the only place where i can have it-
  • 12 years ago
    i attached a pic to show you the lip in the wall and the bareness- its too much of a challenge to re dry wall the entire thing- i also stuck the picture above the desk?? but i like the gallery idea i think better?
  • 12 years ago
    the picture is there because i havent put it anywhere LOL
  • 12 years ago
    I like the artwork and I think it would look good behind sofa. Just don't hand it too high. I would hang a large mirror on the back wall of the dining room to bring more light into the space. I think you have good colors and I like what you have done with your space.
    jannnnn thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    I like the picture I hope you hung it above the sectional and love the idea of a strip of paint with the compliment color!! It breaks up the long wall! Your picture goes great in all these places! but you don't want the same every room! agree the mirrors wouldn't work as it would reflect the tv! The colors are great, you need a few more pillows to compliment the colors in your room! I see you have alot of ideas hope it all worked out!!