Software
Houzz Logo Print
pennymoon

Mixing mid century with transitional

12 years ago
I've been trying to fill this extra tall wall. It was suggested to me from a designer on this site, that I needed extra tall lamps and to raise the artwork up slightly. I recently bought these two beautiful mid century lamps from Etsy. I still need to raise the artwork a couple of inches to balance the lamps. Yay or nay with the mixing here?!

Comments (17)

  • 12 years ago
    I would paint the lamps-- live the shape!
  • 12 years ago
    Painting the lamps a deep red and covering the shades in burlap also a slightly longer shade would be in keeping with the natural look of the room. I don't see anything else that is off.
  • 12 years ago
    Overall, a balanced arrangement. What grabs my eye: 1. Change the light throw for a much darker one...as close to the sofa color as you can get. 2. The "big art" above the sofa is nice, although cliche. With their white trim, the two doorways lead the eye straight up to the upper empty ceiling. Go bold. For example, I found a 5' H x 6' W oil painting at an indoor flea market for $80, which is above my sofa (and my ceilings are standard height). I placed two vertical rows of plate collections to the right and two huge round pieces of plate art to the left to soften its straight lines. You might consider this same strategy, but place your plates in a row above the art and on either side. Because the lamps are so tall, place plates underneath the shades as well. 3. The burlap shades contrast too much with the wall. The lamps themselves look taller than the tables, too. A tent-shaded floor lamp on either side of the sofa would be more in scale. I liked your previous photo of these shades blending in with the wall behind. I agree that texture is needed, but you can add that with some baskets stacked in front of the side table. Hope this helps.
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- Love the lamps but they could have a more linen shade but that is not vital . The painting is at the proper height above back of sofa . The lamps do not need to be painted . The throw would be better in a darker color or even a faux fur one for the winter . What is not connecting everything is the wall color . It is too weak and too yellow . Actually a linen (med) colored grass cloth wallpaper would look wonderful and give the room some richness and texture . The painting could be a bigger square one with a thin box frame or no frame (transitional) and please no plates (too cottage) . So you can do or not do any of this ,- your room looks pretty nice over all .
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The plates I described are from the artist Michael Patton in Washington. They are mixed media, large modern pieces. Not "cottage" at all...far from it. :)
  • 12 years ago
    How about this color grass cloth on your walls? Then your lamps will stand out color-wise.
    Living Room with Beautiful Fireplace · More Info


    I think your end tables need more weight. Either change out or stack some large leather books below.
  • 12 years ago
    Like your lamps, art is at a good height, but maybe, as suggested, change the throw to a darker color. No plates, please, at least not above the sofa with your painting. Also, is the left side of your sofa ON the rug? It looks like it falls about 6 inches short, but may just be the angle. You've done well.
  • 12 years ago
    1. I only asked about mixing mid century with transitional. I don't remember asking how to redecorate this space! 2. I'm not changing the wall color ( the photo shows yellow when actually it's more of a medium gold color) and I'm definitely not painting these vintage lamps red or adding burlap shades! 3. I'm not adding plates to the wall. 4. I do realize a darker throw is needed, but not the same color as the sofa. 5. To those who commented, your suggestions are appreciated but not always right!! 6. I'm not claiming to be a professional decorator either!
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- Well pennymoon , I guess we are all done then --- good for you ! Your room is lovely and I wouldn't paint those lamps either and if your comfortable with your space then that's all that matters . One thing we do on Houzz ,is you always get more than you asked for . Usually that's a good thing . If you have another question some other time we would love to help you . Best Wishes pennymoon !!
  • 12 years ago
    I think the space looks nice! I really like the tall scale of the new lamps! I also like the way the current throw and the white in the striped pillows ties in with the white lamp bases. I don't think I'd raise the art more than 2", but 2" would probably be nice.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you ladies!! The lamps and throw appear white in the photo, they're actually cream. I read a great article today titled 20 Decorating No-Nos the very first one was, Don't Let Someone Make Choices for you. Your home is your personal space. Don't let someone else tell you what you should do. If you need help, ask for suggestions. But when the time comes to make decisions, they should be yours. It's your home and you should feel comfortable with the choices.
  • 12 years ago
    I like it just the way it is. I would not touch those lamps with a can of paint for a million bucks! And I think the throw ties the lamps in perfectly. Job well done! Now go enjoy the space.
    pennymoon thanked Katie Gooding
  • 12 years ago
    Pillows and furniture
  • 12 years ago
    I like it. I personally think if you like how it looks that makes all the difference. Personally, I think people try to match everything to much giving it a cookie cutter look. I love the lamps and they are not so old they do not match. I do however think the picture is a little dark to be so close to them.
  • 12 years ago
    I think what makes a house a home are things collected over time, so inevitably, there will be mixing of styles. Your house should not look like somebody else's house, that is just boring. Love the lamps! Your space is very inviting, enjoy!
  • 12 years ago
    My home is "Sexual mid-century modern eclectic" and it gives me a rise whenever I think about it. If your mixing works for you pennymoon, all the power to you. Now I need to get back to my state of ecstasy...