Software
Houzz Logo Print
shelby_selenium

I wanted peaceful but got bland

12 years ago
My bedroom has been driving me absolutely crazy. I wanted something peaceful, woodsy, and low key. Lots of natural elements like wood and rocks, flowers, moss, etc. I bought a beautiful tapestry and framed it with some valance fabric - I like the look, but its dominated the room and given me some really bland, bland colors to choose from. Im not sure what to do. The rest of my house is bright, has some awesome bohemian colors with dark flooring. All shades of purple, greens, some aqua blues, and shades of orange. I want my room to flow with the rest of my house. Im afraid Im going to have to give up on the ol' tapestry and retire it for somewhere else. I dont want to base a whole room off those bland colors. I was going to buy some new bedding - but Im not in love with it, and its just for the sake of being congruent with this tapestry. What should I do? I dont want to spend a lot of money. My budget for room do-overs is around 200$ I attached a picture of the room now and the bedding I was going to get to coordinate the room.

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Shelby, your tapestry would look better without the white gauzy frame - the undertones are neutral and the white jumps out. If you want serene, then lots of bright colors won't work. Since you have a kind of a loft here - why don't you put the tapestry (by itself - you can use silver binder clips along the top with plain cup hooks on the wall) over the tall ceiling and let it be centered on the stairwell that from your room you just see it in the distance - drop the top to around 14 - 16" below the ceiling and leave it over there. The gray and terracotta tones can work for you if you push into orange and charcoal over here since you love color. Keep the bedding you have now with the gray graphic and add some soft orange and maybe bring a little bit of aqua back up into the room from your other space for an accent? http://www.etsy.com/listing/107395474/decorative-pillow-cover-modern-trendy?ref=related-7

    Cover a new oblong canvas you buy at the art store (2/3 width of bed) with paint in charcoal gray to match your tapestry, a wide aqua band and a thin pretty tone of terracotta / deep pumpkin stripe to match your tapestry and hang this over your bed. Now you will have repeating tones - making your own art will cost about $75 but you can select the colors to match what you already have going on but with this new focus on color. Then, spend your $ on a gray comfy chair at ikea, add some function. Eventually, through craigslist or savings, get a 36" chest for the vase, in gray or aqua, with storage for some of your things.
    Shelby Selenium thanked libradesigneye
  • 12 years ago
    Just adding to libra's great advice, if those are shelves behind the vase, I would mount them as side tables to the bed and center it on the wall. Then maybe use the low square table you have next to your bed to set your floor lamp on, giving it some presence, maybe on the wall at the top of the stairs.
  • 12 years ago
    Girl take that white thing of hour wonderful tapestry and showcase it. Post pics after that.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi. If ever there was an occasion for an accent wall, this is it. I'd probably remove the white drapery, too. But maybe not, it is quite effective against a dark wall. In the drawing your vase and white branches are gone not because I think they're a bad idea -- I don't -- but because it was simply quicker to draw that way. Sorry. For bedding, on this idea, I'd pick up the orange from the tapestry, go even darker than the wall and pile high with orange and off-white pillows. Night time here, I look forward to seeing more comments in (my) the morning.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    -- Your fabric panel is wonderful and it is apparent that it is good for you to see it all the time! No problem.

    Take it down, removing the over-drape. Use iron on adhesive and turn the edges in about 2" to the wrong side. Iron this hem, adding the fusible web, to give the edges some body. Center it on the wall horizontally and hang it up. There are many ways to do this. The panel does not have to be seen 100%. Having the bottom brush the floor might be enough of the panel to see. The rays should, however, be a complete image after the headboard/pillows are present - like it is now.

    Now, if you used the overlay to shape the panel into a pointed shape, you can do that without an overlayment by simply folding it back on both sides, into a peak, fuse the sides on the back side, and hang with rings at the points. A horizontal orientation will be much lower on the wall and not so overwhelming..

    This will make the space feel wider - you do not need the height. Tables/chests and lamps get layered right in front of the panel and, hopefully, the panel will be wide enough to go behind the cabinets and headboard completely. If you feel it is too wide, fold in a wider hem on each side with the fusible web. This web is removable and washable, BTW.

    Center the bed on this panel. Add bedside tables or chests to each side with lamps, etc. These could be found at thrift shops and painted if you want to . They do not have to match but be similar in some way. Thrift shop for lamps, etc, too.

    Find colors in your panel that you love and punch it up a little bit. Of the colors you listed above, the aqua is the most restful.....and can be wonderful used with certain camels.

    For bedding, keep it simple - you do not want to compete with the panel, so not much going on in the way of pattern! Contrasting trim is good though.

    Look for a bench or trunk to place at the foot of the bed and a cozy chair and ottoman. A few pillows would be fun but for a zen-like vibe, keep it simple - clean - uncluttered.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Some ideas . . .
    Shelby Selenium thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love the idea above of removing the white from the tapestry and turning it on its side. I would add a bedroom chair, then a throw that picks up one of the stronger colors in the tapestry. Perhaps not this chair...but the mohair throw blanket looks to work with the tapestry. (The throw is 'Picasso' http://mohairsandmore.com/designer-check-throws-in-mohair/)
    Shelby Selenium thanked Mohairs & More
  • 12 years ago
    HI l love wood on walls very soft and very calming and it would be sure to blend in with your home. I am doing this to my bedroom also to a very large wall in my family room and one wall in my dine. I feel as long as its consistent through the home it will look great and very classy.
    Shelby Selenium thanked Jackie Hemson
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like the tapestry! The walls are just bland...not your décor. Painting some horizontal stripes on the wall would really create some interest. Many options with stripes! Neutral colors with white...different size stripes... a bold color for one stripe and the rest neutral...chevron pattern...etc.
    Shelby Selenium thanked Timeless Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    I've been rethinking ... here's an impression of the hanging horizontal (still draped, but you should get the idea), with a low, narrow coffee table as sidetable, and a piece of mounted driftwood to start you off on the natural feeling you want.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/DivineDriftwood
    Shelby Selenium thanked Rina
  • 12 years ago
    Loving the tapestry but agree with many of the suggestions above to get rid of (or repurpose elsewhere) the white gauzy fabric taking away from it. Also think going horizontal and centering the bed a little closer towards the closet will help balance the room a bit more. Using some slightly darker warm tones like terra cotta or mahogany should help liven things up yet keep it cozy zen natural as well. Not sure if you're looking for more storage in this set up but perhaps a nice dark wood dresser or reclaimed wood table would help as well...let me see if I can find some good examples. :)
    Shelby Selenium thanked Cecilia
  • 12 years ago
    Also I think the bedding is fine but perhaps add a throw at the base of the bed to tie some colors in between tapestry and rest of the room. As for the vase arrangement, have you tried shifting it over to the other side of the bed and closer to the half wall? If you got a long table or low dresser to add to where the vase is now you could use that surface for a low profile terrarium or succulent garden to bring in some low maintenance greens.
    Shelby Selenium thanked Cecilia
  • 11 years ago

    Sandy G. - I wonder if you might share the source of the bench you included in your comment above? Thanks!