Software
Houzz Logo Print
runaway03

Would Like Kitchen Floor Input

12 years ago
I am finally going to replace my awful dark hickory can't-keep-it-clean sheet vinyl kitchen floor. It's only three years old, but it looks 30! I am leaning toward Mannington Adura vinyl plank, and will be covering about 500 square feet in the mudroom, kitchen, and dining room. My style is farmhouse/country, with lots of oak throughout. I don't plan on changing anything but the floor. My first choice at the moment is the Burma Teak pattern shown in the photos, but I'm waffling because it might be too busy for such a large area. My cabinets and furniture are mostly oak, albeit differing shades, so I didn't want to overload on oak floors also. I'd welcome all input!

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The pattern of the potential new floor dies not seem any busier, from the photos, than the pattern of the existing floor. Go for it.
    runaway03 thanked McCabe By Design LLC
  • 12 years ago
    I would consider a checkerboard pattern of black and white commercial grade tile. The black can have some subtle pattern such as light streaks but not something that would be noticeable.
    runaway03 thanked Kenneth Meyer
  • 12 years ago
    I would like to stay with a wood look, as it will go through the dining room also. Color-wise, darker seems as though it will show dust easily, lighter seems too close to the rest of the furniture. Would an oak pattern be oak overload?
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- That is a nice sample and I don't think it is too busy . As long as the new flooring is either lighter or different so you get some contrast with the wood cabinets . Engineered or high end laminate would look and last the best for you.
    runaway03 thanked lefty47
  • 12 years ago
    I also have a laminate floor, but tile look, in my kitchen which I can't keep clean. If I were to replace it, I'd use 8 x 24 porcelain tiles with a wood look and slightly rough texture so every water spot doesn't show. By the way I plan to use these tiles in both of my bathrooms soon. I've chosen tiles that are slightly darker than my oak cabinets.
  • 12 years ago
    It should be fine, and will look very much like your existing floor as it's a shade lighter.
    runaway03 thanked hayleydaniels
  • 12 years ago
    Why not use real wood instead of laminate?
  • 12 years ago
    I would love real wood, but since where it will go is high traffic, prone to spills and mud, and home to large dogs, teenagers, and a rancher husband, the maintenance on real wood seems daunting. Technically, it's not laminate, it's vinyl plank, which from what I've read is much more durable than laminate. The Mannington Adura line I'm leaning toward is very realistic to look at and touch.
  • 11 years ago
    I also had the same dilemma this week. I wanted the Mannington Burma teak just like you, as it has so much character and the colors are beautiful. go to Mannington.com, under residential, Adura planks. Then click on your chosen wood, and it lets you put the wood in "rooms" they have online. I saved the same "room" of each vinyl plank I was thinking of, and by comparing them you can see how busy they look.
    Please post a picture of your flooring once you're all done!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I've had the Mannington Burma Teak vinyl tile for almost a year now. Here is a current photo. It still looks brand new, even under pet-teenager-husband-country life traffic. I damp mop it about once a week. I am pleased with my choice, but being a purist at heart, I still long for real wood. At one-third the cost for Adura, I don't complain too loud!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The Mannington product you selected is an excellent choice. But why are you having trouble keeping your vinyl floor clean? If you are using the proper cleaning products recommended by the vinyl floor manufacturer you should not be having any issues. May I suggest you reach out to the manufacturer rep of your current vinyl floor for advise on cleaning it properly first before investing in new flooring options.