Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_christy

Vintage Maroon/Gray Tile Bathroom Decisions

Jessica Christy
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
There's something not right about the design in this bathroom, but I can't figure out how to fix it. I really like the maroon and blue/gray tiles, but I'm at a loss for how to accessorize. Plain white? We've only replaced the toilet so far, out of necessity and white wooden blinds. Floor is terrazzo. Any suggestions?

Comments (19)

• lucidos
    10 years ago
    Can we have a better shot of the area where the vanity is? Similar to the angle of the last image only further back and a bit more to the right.
  • Jessica Christy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How's this?
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Perfect! Ok you have room for a larger vanity. I would set a vanity a bit further from the toilet. That would go a long way for storage and counter space. A bigger mirror too. I suggest checking the buy/sell ads locally or habitat for humanity. For a small amount you can make that area work better for you.

A vanity painted white or black and setting a large mirror lower. Your towel rack could go under the window. With a smaller towel ring by the sink.

As far as colors. I suggest the walls in a grey, black and white paper. Then add burgundy accents such as pictures framed in the black. You already have the towels. I would add a burgundy shower curtain and rug.

Basically embrace the retro with a bit of a modern twist.

Check the tile stores. Also Habitat. See if you can match the tiles as a few are off colored and you will need to repair the soap dish and towel area.
    Jessica Christy thanked lucidos
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    I think what's off is the color of the vanity. I'd make it either white or espresso. If you decide to change it out for a larger one, you'll be able to install a lager mirror, then you'd move the towel bar closer to the shower area. But I see the color of the vanity as the main problem.
    Jessica Christy thanked Shoa Gallery
  • PRO
    Patina Period Design
    10 years ago
    Lucidos has some good suggestions. A bold black and white graphic wallpaper is a good idea, but if wallpaper is not for you, keep it simple by painting the walls a shade or two lighter than the tile. Paint the ceiling the same color. It will keep the space feeling open. If you move/enlarge the vanity, you may create an issue with unfinished tiled area behind the current vanity? Also the towel bar presents a problem. If you paint the current vanity black, that would be a cheap fix. Silver, black, and burgundy accents will make the space pop.
    Jessica Christy thanked Patina Period Design
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Match a paint color to the grey tiles for the walls . Put in a bigger vanity and a storage tower in the corner if needed with a grey or white base and white top and sink . No valance on the window -- the blind is all you need . Bigger mirror - no frame just a beveled edge . Longer better lighting . Then lots of white for everything else .
    Jessica Christy thanked lefty47
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 years ago
    Hi! Here is a shower curtain that may work for you!
    http://deciture.com/shop/bath/world-market/paisley-floral-shower-curtain/
  • chakarnis
    8 years ago

I have the same tile in my bathroom. Too heavy and masculine for mother/daughter residents. I need color to soften or balance.

• lucidos
    8 years ago

chakarnis If you start your own thread we would be happy to help you there!

• PRO
    Watts Water Works
    7 years ago

I have the same tile too! It's hard, white paint? Accent burghundy behind the sink??

• PRO
    Modern House Co.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I kept paint white, frosted the window, painted cabinet white, new white countertops, new chrome fixtures, new glass shower door to let light in.

• Kathy Yata
    7 years ago

My mom had pink tile put in the shower to make the maroon tile look like a choice. Pink cut to fit carpet, pink towels with pink and yellow pansies embroidered. Adorable and extremely girly. That was 50 years ago.

These days try taking the maroon and gray to the paint store. I'd dilute maroon all the way to barely there blush which ought to make the lighting very flattering to skin tones. Get the gray darkened and paint the vanity. Love the idea of flowery curtains that Watts showed, that's perfect. Ties colors together, nice and girly, Looks a bit retro as pink and gray are a common 50s color combo and bold flowers were all over curtains back then.

• susanandbrendan
    7 years ago

I am so glad to have found this post! We have the exact same tiles in our 1950s clinker brick rambler bathroom.
    We found towels and bath mats that match the deep red/burgundy tile at
    Target which were a great initial fix for the unfortunate flooring (replaced by a previous owner).

We have
    had a terrible time finding a paint color - and clearly so did earlier owners, there is evidence of multiple coats from yellow to stark white to a peachy beige. Currently the walls are (now dingy) bright white with 1 light sage green wall.

My
    instinct was to leave it white or go with a very light shade
    matching either the deep red or the gray tile color. I didn't like any
    of the light rose color chips I found but was nervous about the gray. The tile is almost a bluish gray and I worried about making the space feel
    cold. Based on the advice here, though, I think we will give a light
    gray matching shade a try. And maybe replace the aluminum towel bars with black?

One difference between our bathroom
    and yours is that ours has large cabinets (kitchen cabinet size)
    above and below the vanity. We're talking a 6' span of cabinets.
    Though I know we are lucky to have a large space and storage, these are
    another complicating factor. They were repainted eons ago and the white
    paint looks dingy and the cabinet doors are chipped. I think we'll try
    repainting the walls/ceiling first then see how we feel about whether to
    repaint, replace the doors only, or replace all the
    cabinets ... a project for another day.

The flooring (see photo below) is another future project. We hate it, but have decided to ignore it for now until we
    finish other more urgent projects. But these faux stone tiles, which clash with the vintage gray tiles, are on the short list for sure!

• Angi Grant
    5 years ago
    I have the same tile just in larger squares. I had bath fitters replace the tub and shower in bright white. Originally the tile ran in shower too. I think the new shower in white breaks up the darker colors. I installed a smaller white vanity. But I struggle with my walls. They are plaster and have a ton of imperfections. Thinking of shiplap on the top. Any thoughts there?
  • agoldberger
    5 years ago
    Any after pictures of this bathroom?
  • Sandy Cradick
    3 years ago

Omg I feel like we need our own support group, my bathroom is the same tile, the gray is like dirty gray, and is everywhere. Looking for a shower curtain 😣

• Kristine Seabloom
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Hi! i have this tile too and am actually looking for replacement tile if anyone knows where there might be some reclaimed tile for sale. i ordered a sample of Daltile in ash grey from home depot but its slightly dark (see pic). the daltile website is confusing me tonight! i haven’t been able to locate the darker maroon at all. i also have this decorative leaf piece that would be amazing if i can find some. i have about a 4ft space that was once an indent in the hallway, and moved the door so it is now part of the bathroom and currently waiting for tile that is as close as I can get to match existing tile.

• dianabythelocks
    3 months ago

Old post.