Software
Houzz Logo Print
558river

14 years ago
I don't know what to do regarding window treatments in our family room! These are the only window and doors in the room and they are right next to each other! There are only a few inches between the windows and the door and the molding on the right side of the french door butts right up to the built ins. The right door on the french door is rarely used so I think of it as a stationary door. We also have a nice view so I don't want to block it out. We have no privacy issues, but the sun does set outside these windows and the glare on the TV is terrible for a few hours everyday. What kind of window treatments will work here and should I treat them differently or the same? Thanks!

Comments (27)

  • 14 years ago
    Have you considered side panel drapery ? I would put non-functioning panels at each end and move the bookcase (it looks a little crammed in).It doesnt look like you need privacy but you could put blinds,inside mount on all 4 windows.Without more pics it is hard to suggest what type of fabric or blind.If you send me more pic I could.Love the two chairs! momilhilton@gmail.com
  • 14 years ago
    I have almost the same problem. I have blinds on mine but I am thinking about things that might add color such as a decorated shelf above some of my areas. Shutters might work at the sides of some of my areas and those could be painted.
  • 14 years ago
    I would install a long rod spanning the windows and doors and beautiful fabric drapes which can be move to the left of the chairs and pulled when needed.
  • 14 years ago
    I think side panels are the only way to go and as a matter of fact we are considering removing the built ins. What kind of fabrics would you recommend?
    Sofas, windows and chairs(When my parents owned these chairs they were soft beautiful leather and I am considering returning to that. They were gorgeous.
    Thanks for your help
  • 14 years ago
    Questions before I can assess your needs: Are you wanting to add color or just take care of the glare/sun issue? Hunter Douglas has some products that are compact and innocuous (like cell shades)for your windows or ones that add color and function (like Roman shades that roll up into a head rail. If you want to keep the furniture AS IS, your options are limited. You could hide these treatments under top treatments to add color without going out on the wall much on either side. I'd do a top treatment spanning both windows.
  • 14 years ago
    I do need some color, but I can't stand colored shades. I would rather have color in the curtains or furniture. When you say top treatment, do you mean a valance?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi 558river, I think this is what adelejuiamorris was talking about which I agree would provide you with some character for the wall of windows. I'd treat the windows and doors as one continuous area and just do floor to ceiling drapery.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks. Do you think I should have material on the two ends only or have one in the middle as well? I don't know if the expanse is too large to have only two. I don't really want to be looking at too much rod across the top of the window. Does that make sense?
  • 14 years ago
    OMG this room is beautiful.Sorry,but the designer part of me can't stop at the curtains.Thanks for posting more photos.You need some pattern on the room.I would love to see a subtle colored patterned carpet.Woven blinds in the tones of your fireplace and pinch pleat on rings side panels in linen.Repace the built ins with a tall desk unit on the one wall.Recover the old chairs in leather with low rectangular pillows that work with your new carpet.Good luck.
  • 14 years ago
    Sorry,by woven blind I meant higher end wicker/string types to work with the natural theme you have with the stone.The area carpet needs to be darker than the one you have.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks, I like your ideas. I like the type of blinds you mentioned and I love the idea of linen panels.
    Would you recover the sofas? maybe a pattern? Are they too dark now?
    I agree that the carpet has to be darker, but I'm not sure how I feel about a color patterned carpet. Do you mean like a hooked rug?
    Also, can't wait to get rid of the built ins!
  • 14 years ago
    The ample amount of light and the clean, freshness of the white trim in this room are the most appealing features of the room. Inside mounted white wood or faux wood window blinds would not detract from either of these features and would block glare and provide privacy (blinds can be mounted on doors, too). Those chairs are wonderful. Recovering the cushions in soft leather is a fabulous idea.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree panels are the way to go. Do a continous 3/4" rod mounted about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up to the ceiling. Do a pair of curtains on the windows and a pair on the doors. The panels will hang at each end and between the doors and the windows. I like the idea of a natural textured fabric like linen also . Yes, the rug needs to be darker and I would keep the color of the curtains on the lighter side. I think patterned linen would be great or you could use a solid fabric with a darker tape trim along the leading edges to tie in the grey & browns from the fireplace stone. If privacy is not an issue you can use a sheer linen for the curtains.
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you!
  • 14 years ago
    Actually,I like the sofas as they are.They work well with the stone.I would even be tempted to try that colour on the chairs too.I have to disagree with the 3/4" rod.I would go much bigger and I am sure that one panel at each end would be sufficient.Putting two on each would cover alot of window.The carpet I was thinking of would be an Indian type with a pattern,make sure it goes under the furniture at least 4".Look for one with your sofa clour as well as the golden shades in the stone.A throw and pillows in those same golds would also look good.
  • 14 years ago
    I was thinking about a much wider rod as well. As long as I am going to see it, I think it should make some kind of statement. I think one at each end might be better too just because the fabric will take up a lot of space and I really don't want to cover the windows. So, linen seems to be the type of material, what about a print? Tan/white color?
  • 14 years ago
    If you have a strong pattern,which I recommend in the carpet you could do solid drapes,that way you can do ready mades.A warm tan(again look to your stone)would look great.If you want pattern I would do something small,houndstooth or check.You could also do a rich velvet.
  • 14 years ago
    I know you said use an Indian carpet, but can I use an oriental carpet? Does that change the look of the room too much? And still use solid linen drapes?
  • 14 years ago
    Yes you can.There are some great carpets at Pottery Barn.You can get some good ideas and then shop at Marshalls,Target or Home Goods.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    If you want light control and not privacy, do one full sheer drapery (operable) across both window and door. So you get a lush full look when they are open, and shimmery softness when they are closed.
  • 14 years ago
    I am thinking that the fabric should be a sheer Belgian linen. Restoration Hardware sells them if the windows are standard height; hung from the ceiling on rings with clips. The room might look more serene without the brown shelving in the corner. Can you move the couch in line with the fireplace? It looks like they are the same width.
  • 14 years ago
    In answer to the question about one panel or two..the fabric would bunch up only on one side. If the shelves were removed, then you would have a wall of gorgeous fabric in that area. Hang the rod from the ceiling. May have to be a custom rod to span that length. You could also choose a sateen cotton .
    I would move the two chairs from in front of the windows. Less is more.
  • 14 years ago
    You could move the two chairs in the corner where the fabric be the backdrop and a small table or stool between them. The rug looks o.k. The couches might look nice in leather. Is it under the fabric? Float one of the couches. You can place a sofa table with coffee table books or pottery behind it.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    White wood blinds would look beautiful and fresh on your windows and can keep a lot of light coming in during the day if the slats are left open and when closed offer privacy when needed. I'd add some side panels to complete the look.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    First thing to do is paint the doors a different color (including the "window" contiguous to the door) so they stand out as "not window". Then put a window treatment on the double windows only.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree. Thanks you. I still haven't seen anything I like until this!